What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burns

First Grade
Ticket sales for Knights v Tigers on Sunday are on track for an utterly average yet unsurprising 15-16,000.

chahrour123

Juniors
Anyyone know the PAX for Friday Nights games ?

You would think the QLD derby would be a sellout but Im keen to see what the Bulldogs vs Roosters game will get...I think 25-30k would be decent

franklin2323

Immortal
It should be a triumphant celebration of last year's Historic win.

Except the ARLC got greedy. Someone should be sacked over this.

Yep that with other events on around the same time. Means they are really struggling to catch up with sales

Ticket sales for Knights v Tigers on Sunday are on track for an utterly average yet unsurprising 15-16,000.

Sadly that is now the norm. Could see that drop to 14-15k next season. It has taken more than 10 years but crowds are really on the decline there now. Knights fans have done well to maintain a good average over the last decade of pathetic performances. Can't blame the fans for now finding other things to spend their money on.

Burns

First Grade
Sadly that is now the norm. Could see that drop to 14-15k next season. It has taken more than 10 years but crowds are really on the decline there now. Knights fans have done well to maintain a good average over the last decade of pathetic performances. Can't blame the fans for now finding other things to spend their money on.

Yep, I was in denial at the start of the year but there really has been a shift away from support across the town. Could even extend it to the Jets I suppose. People in Newcastle have gotten well over mediocre national sporting teams.

DC_fan

Coach
The question we Australians have to ask ourselves is, are we the sports loving nation we like to think we are?

In my opinion we are not. Yes we will attend big sporting events like the Australian Open in tennis, major racing carnivals such as the Championship in Sydney and the Cup carnival in Melbourne, State of Origin and the finals series in NRL and AFL in good numbers.

As for everything else we kind of ignore or watch it on TV.

Canard

Immortal
Anyyone know the PAX for Friday Nights games ?

You would think the QLD derby would be a sellout but Im keen to see what the Bulldogs vs Roosters game will get...I think 25-30k would be decent

The Willows (refuse to call it that joke of a sponsor name) hasn't had a sellout for many many years.

Canard

Immortal
The question we Australians have to ask ourselves is, are we the sports loving nation we like to think we are?

In my opinion we are not. Yes we will attend big sporting events like the Australian Open in tennis, major racing carnivals such as the Championship in Sydney and the Cup carnival in Melbourne, State of Origin and the finals series in NRL and AFL in good numbers.

As for everything else we kind of ignore or watch it on TV.

Par for the course. Lack of passion as a culture and general comfy lifestyle due to great weather and laid back mentality translates in many many ways. Still the best country in the world to live in though!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-29/australian-obesity-rates-climbing-fastest-in-the-world/5485724

How can you say that when AFL is easily the most well attended sport in the world, based on population?

In the UK crowds are paltry considering the population base and geography.

And by the way, Championship in Sydney being a major sporting event?? Really??

undertaker

Coach

Not to mention the overpriced tickets. Surprised the fans have been regularly forking out the amounts they have, given our substandard performances in recent times.

undertaker

Coach
Yep, I was in denial at the start of the year but there really has been a shift away from support across the town. Could even extend it to the Jets I suppose. People in Newcastle have gotten well over mediocre national sporting teams.

Doesn't explain why the Knights were still regularly getting 20k+ (even got a 26k sell-out vs Manly IIRC) when they were coming dead-last in 2005.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL is a massive anomaly. Having been at a Dockers game in the rain when they were crap, in a crappy Subiaco stadium where 30,000 turned out inc heaps of women and children to watch the game I have absolutely no idea how they get so many AFL fans to commit to going to games. I wish I knew, I'd be very rich! I think they transmit subliminal messages or something to AFL fans to hypnotise them to go!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
AFL is a massive anomaly. Having been at a Dockers game in the rain when they were crap, in a crappy Subiaco stadium where 30,000 turned out inc heaps of women and children to watch the game I have absolutely no idea how they get so many AFL fans to commit to going to games. I wish I knew, I'd be very rich! I think they transmit subliminal messages or something to AFL fans to hypnotise them to go!

AFL games are better live than at home, particularly when you are sitting with height.. You can watch all the play unfolding in the distance which you cant see when watching at home.

Canard

Immortal

How can you disregard that as being Australians though? (However deluded they may be).

Take out football in England and other sports are virtual non-events.

No country in the world has 4 Major codes of football competing for attention.

I reckon we punch well and truly above our weight given this, our geography and our population.

Suitman

Post Whore
In the UK crowds are paltry considering the population base and geography.

Stadium capacity has almost everything to do with that.
Do you really think Chelsea would only be getting 40000 people to games if they had a 70 000 seat stadium? There are not many Premier League teams who haven't upgraded stadiums or are planning to.
At least they fill them.

Suity

AFL games are better live than at home, particularly when you are sitting with height.. You can watch all the play unfolding in the distance which you cant see when watching at home.

Yet League has the TV game excuse, let's watch thousand of empty seats at home. The heartland of rugby league has a different mindset to others in world sport. Typical heartlands have packed stadiums and huge ratings while rugby league has huge ratings but empty stadiums. Both is needed in a true heartland.

Canard

Immortal
Stadium capacity has almost everything to do with that.
Do you really think Chelsea would only be getting 40000 people to games if they had a 70 000 seat stadium? There are not many Premier League teams who haven't upgraded stadiums or are planning to.
At least they fill them.

Suity

Not all Premiership teams sell out. And being in a City of 12M is a big advantage.

70,000 in London isn't that amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts