What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yet League has the TV game excuse, let's watch thousand of empty seats at home. The heartland of rugby league has a different mindset to others in world sport. Typical heartlands have packed stadiums and huge ratings while rugby league has huge ratings but empty stadiums. Both is needed in a true heartland.

Thats why they put the microphones next to the most densely populated sections. Next time you're at Suncorp look at where the microphones are on the field - they have 2-3 near the away bay (317). Then a few near the alcohol free bay (311) and the diehard sections (326-329).

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Sydney is a bloated mess of a city. A tigers fan who lives in say Blair Athol lives like 50kms outside the cbd. I've been on parramatta rd where its taken 50 minutes to move 5kms.

There are lots of reasons why crowds might struggle in Sydney. Fans coming from the outer suburbs have a nightmare of a trip into the city. Friday nights in particular if the parents have to hike home from the city, gather the kids and then drive back

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Sydney is a bloated mess of a city. A tigers fan who lives in say Blair Athol lives like 50kms outside the cbd. I've been on parramatta rd where its taken 50 minutes to move 5kms.

There are lots of reasons why crowds might struggle in Sydney. Fans coming from the outer suburbs have a nightmare of a trip into the city. Friday nights in particular if the parents have to hike home from the city, gather the kids and then drive back

Much to the disbelief of many its the same in Brisbane.

seanoff

Juniors
Not all Premiership teams sell out. And being in a City of 12M is a big advantage.

70,000 in London isn't that amazing.

yes there is only 1 EPL club in London. :roll: Chelsea aren't even the biggest. That'll be Arsenal.

Spurs, QPR, Fulham, West Ham, Watford, Millwall etc all inside the M25. never mind the others all the way down the line.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL games are better live than at home, particularly when you are sitting with height.. You can watch all the play unfolding in the distance which you cant see when watching at home.

I find this absolute rubbish argument. If your not on the halfway mark you spend half the game watching the big screen as the action is so far away you can't see what's going on around the ball.

Perth Red

Post Whore

No harder than getting around London, Paris or most other major cities if you're trying to drive anywhere.
it's not just a Sydney problem. Most NRL clubs draw smaller crowds than their equivalent main sport in similar sized population centres. I do think we need to stop trying to compare to afl, we are never catching them. Getting to 20k full members for most clubs is the goal and if we can do that we'd be doing very well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not all Premiership teams sell out. And being in a City of 12M is a big advantage.

70,000 in London isn't that amazing.

It's not bad when there's 13 professional football clubs in that population!
Londons second division football clubs draw bigger crowds than most of Sydney's nrl clubs
Most English PL soccer clubs are running at 90% plus stadium capacity.

http://www.soccerstats.com/attendance.asp?league=england

Canard

Immortal
yes there is only 1 EPL club in London. :roll: Chelsea aren't even the biggest. That'll be Arsenal.

Spurs, QPR, Fulham, West Ham, Watford, Millwall etc all inside the M25. never mind the others all the way down the line.

Where did I say they where the biggest? Or only ten? I lived in London for four years mate.

Guess what? Not all of those teams are in the premiership!

And Sydney has more teams than that IN THE NRL.

Fulham struggled to get crowds of 10,000 and above for some fixtures in the Championship this season.

Millwall's average attendance was 10,000 also.

To claim that UK crowds are good when there is 60M people there is bullshit.

And don't even get me started on their League crowds.

Canard

Immortal
It's not bad when there's 13 professional football clubs in that population!
Londons second division football clubs draw bigger crowds than most of Sydney's nrl clubs
Most English PL soccer clubs are running at 90% plus stadium capacity.

http://www.soccerstats.com/attendance.asp?league=england

There is 12M people in London! It's pretty shit.

That link you provided isn't London clubs only.

Your trying to claim that Aussie's don't attend sport yet, several NRL clubs and heaps of AFL clubs have bigger attendances then the biggest Football league in the world.

And what about your League attendances???

Canard

Immortal
No harder than getting around London, Paris or most other major cities if you're trying to drive anywhere.
it's not just a Sydney problem. Most NRL clubs draw smaller crowds than their equivalent main sport in similar sized population centres. I do think we need to stop trying to compare to afl, we are never catching them. Getting to 20k full members for most clubs is the goal and if we can do that we'd be doing very well.

Your clearly a Northern Monkey.

The public transport in London and Paris is exceptional. Nobody drives it would take 4 hours to get across town in peak hour.

Sydney doesn't have the save level of public transport.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I find this absolute rubbish argument. If your not on the halfway mark you spend half the game watching the big screen as the action is so far away you can't see what's going on around the ball.

Disagree, seats on the pocket level Q at MCG are great.

DC_fan

Coach
How can you say that when AFL is easily the most well attended sport in the world, based on population?

In the UK crowds are paltry considering the population base and geography.

And by the way, Championship in Sydney being a major sporting event?? Really??

The AFL had a purple patch with crowds in the period 2005-10 when crowds were averaging over 36,000. Since then it has dropped about 10 percent to around 32,000. Which is still a very good average and one that the NRL would love to have. It could be said that the inclusion of GWS and the Gold Coast Suns, who's ave crowds are 9,900 and 15,500 respectively has had an impact on their average crowd figures.

Last year average crowds in Victoria were at their lowest in 10 years and have shown a slight decline in the past couple of years. WA has been pretty steady for the past 10 years while SA has recently shot up.

Canard

Immortal
The AFL had a purple patch with crowds in the period 2005-10 when crowds were averaging over 36,000. Since then it has dropped about 10 percent to around 32,000. Which is still a very good average and one that the NRL would love to have. It could be said that the inclusion of GWS and the Gold Coast Suns, who's ave crowds are 9,900 and 15,500 respectively has had an impact on their average crowd figures.

Last year average crowds in Victoria were at their lowest in 10 years and have shown a slight decline in the past couple of years. WA has been pretty steady for the past 10 years while SA has recently shot up.

No disputing this.

I just think the bullshit rhetoric from the pommy dickhead that Australian's don't attend sporting events is just that, bullshit.

We punch well above our weight, when you consider the constraints we are faced with.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Townsville has a population of 189,000. Looks like they will get a crowd of 25,000-ish tonight as only 200 reserved seats remain in the alcohol free bays and one block of GA sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts