What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish

Referee
Category 1 tickets were $60 tonight. I can't imagine there wer more than 5% walk ups at that price and easy 80% must have been season ticket holders and SCG members.

Honestly whoever is organising the pricing structure for games these days needs to be shot. $60 for the roosters vs penrith on a monday night pretty much guarantees a small crowd.

For whats its worth though the Roosters are at least doing their best to bring in the fans. Everyone loves watching league on TV so much they went and installed 2 of the biggest f**king HD screens I've ever seen at each end so you can enjoy the television experience at the ground :sarcasm:. My 64 year old dad spent the entire game just watching on the screen in awe :lol:

alien

Referee
Category 1 tickets were $60 tonight. I can't imagine there wer more than 5% walk ups at that price and easy 80% must have been season ticket holders and SCG members.

Honestly whoever is organising the pricing structure for games these days needs to be shot. $60 for the roosters vs penrith on a monday night pretty much guarantees a small crowd.

yes it is ridiculous. $60 can pay a months subscription to foxtel, which alot of people will choose instead of paying 1 ticket to 1 game, or people will just watch the game at a club or pub. That $60 is for only 1 person too. How much was a family ticket for Category 1???

Danish

Referee
online $137. Walk up over $140. Even GA was $30 at the gate, and that is basically on the try line or worse these days.

Its the same everywhere so its still a bad crowd overall, but charging finals footy prices for regular season games is stupid

alien

Referee
online $137. Walk up over $140. Even GA was $30 at the gate, and that is basically on the try line or worse these days.

Its the same everywhere so its still a bad crowd overall, but charging finals footy prices for regular season games is stupid

and people wonder why the attendances aren't that good. the cost of tickets are the number 1 reason why

Red Bear

Referee
Souths should average 25k+ this season coming off a premiership and on a win streak. It's time for the 'pride of the league' to match the hype and success attendance wise instead of being the pride of empty ANZ stadium.
Two home games. (23K + 27K)/2 = 25K. So they are at this point.

For whats its worth though the Roosters are at least doing their best to bring in the fans. Everyone loves watching league on TV so much they went and installed 2 of the biggest f**king HD screens I've ever seen at each end so you can enjoy the television experience at the ground :sarcasm:. My 64 year old dad spent the entire game just watching on the screen in awe :lol:

Student concession made it $22 for me, which wasn't too bad. Tickets were a fair bit cheaper online though (although I guess there would've been a hike for processing fees so probably works out the same).

Not sure how the bar line got so bad with a small crowd like that though.

Crowd looked dire shortly before kick off when I got in there but it filled out better than it could've been

And yes those screen were ridiculous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and people wonder why the attendances aren't that good. the cost of tickets are the number 1 reason why

Dependence on % of walk ups to ticketed memberships. Most clubs do good value memberships. Current ticket pricing is only a deterrent to walk ups. I do agree though it is ridiculous price for a reasonable seat.

killbill

Juniors
I am new here and I was wondering why the constant obsession of crowds - aren't NRL crowds the biggest in Rugby around the world. I am in the US and enjoy watching it on TV - I am actually impressed at the big crowds there sometimes when some of our NFL games don't sell out and there are few and one team usually for big areas. The smaller crowds are still bigger than most MLS or even NHL crowds and that is the same situation - 1 team for a big area or city. Am I missing something?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I am new here and I was wondering why the constant obsession of crowds - aren't NRL crowds the biggest in Rugby around the world. I am in the US and enjoy watching it on TV - I am actually impressed at the big crowds there sometimes when some of our NFL games don't sell out and there are few and one team usually for big areas. The smaller crowds are still bigger than most MLS or even NHL crowds and that is the same situation - 1 team for a big area or city. Am I missing something?

They are the biggest aggregate by a mile yes, and the second biggest average behind the Super15 who have fewer games.

I think people swarm to this thread because (a) they like to think rugby league is growing (b) they like to hang %£$* on other teams crowds and (c) inferiority complex with other sports' crowds.

As you point out, league's crowds are very respectable compared to many a sporting league around the world so there is not really a lot to winge about.

killbill

Juniors
They are the biggest aggregate by a mile yes, and the second biggest average behind the Super15 who have fewer games.

I think people swarm to this thread because (a) they like to think rugby league is growing (b) they like to hang %£$* on other teams crowds and (c) inferiority complex with other sports' crowds.

As you point out, league's crowds are very respectable compared to many a sporting league around the world so there is not really a lot to winge about.

Thanks - it seems they are growing other than a few teams - like any sport winning has a big bearing. Thats interesting about mocking the lower supported teams because of crowds. Looking at the Super15 it seems the only really big crowds are in South Africa consistently unless winning like the Reds were. I would have thought TV ratings are what matter - thats what matters in the US. League is clearly the leader by miles there. Why would League have an inferiority complex as a sport? I can understand teams having one - like Eagles fans in the US lol

papabear

Juniors
Thanks - it seems they are growing other than a few teams - like any sport winning has a big bearing. Thats interesting about mocking the lower supported teams because of crowds. Looking at the Super15 it seems the only really big crowds are in South Africa consistently unless winning like the Reds were. I would have thought TV ratings are what matter - thats what matters in the US. League is clearly the leader by miles there. Why would League have an inferiority complex as a sport? I can understand teams having one - like Eagles fans in the US lol
the inferiority complex re crowds is probably more with the AFL. Its certainly not with rugby union.

AFL people attend their code like religious people attend church, so it really is a futile battle.

tbh I think the bigger thing is because certain clubs arbitrarily got merged or kicked out based on how they were going at the time. Thus there is always a fear a club will get kicked out and fans of the more popular club like to keep easts / Penrith / Cronulla and manly fans reminded that they are the shitty small clubs that should be next to go, if someone has to go.

papabear

Juniors

don't easts let you move up to about the 25 metre mark?

pHyR3

Juniors
maybe people should get memberships instead? walkups are ALWAYS going to be expensive, cause they know people who have already rocked up arent going to go home cause tickets are $27 instead of $20ish online

i pay under $30 a game for reserved seating for 8 tigers home games, and get nice seats for 3 away ANZ games above the home team's reserved seats.

given foxtel is $700 a year, that's a pretty good deal imo.

family of 4, premium reserved is $1000. and you get 4 member kits, access to member events, priority origin/final tickets, and the atmosphere of games in great seats for 15 games.

pretty damn value imo

Perth Red

Post Whore
We are a bit fixated on crowds but as said that is mainly due to the battle with afl to be seen as the countries number one footy code. Sheffield shield final has been on with no one attending, they even made it free. S15 don't mention crowds usually. RL has always had an interest, to the lpoint where they announce it at games and you either get a murmur of approval or despair depending on the number lol.

Brutus

Referee
We are a bit fixated on crowds but as said that is mainly due to the battle with afl to be seen as the countries number one footy code. Sheffield shield final has been on with no one attending, they even made it free. S15 don't mention crowds usually. RL has always had an interest, to the lpoint where they announce it at games and you either get a murmur of approval or despair depending on the number lol.

That idiot on 2GB James Wills is the most crowd-obsessed clown I have ever heard.

Loves bagging league crowds, whilst talking up crowds from other sports.

fanatique

Juniors

The simple answer is the AFL mate.

Essentially the 2 big codes are geographically separated. RL on the East Coast with its main professional centre in Sydney. AFL in South and West Australia with its professional centre in Melbourne Victoria.

Victorian AFL is almost unarguably the world's best attended pro sport if looked at per head and we live next door.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Bums on seats looks good for one for a few teams with others being propped up with tens of millions. The tele rights deal looks great for the other.

Which one would you rather be?

I said earlier in this thread that last night would not be a great crowd puller. Unfortunately I was right. Fact is whilst the two clubs may turn on some good on field action the crowds don't turn up.

Round 19 2014, Saturday night at the SFS when these two teams played a whole 13,993 turned up. Both teams were inform and well inside the top 8. Yet people expected a bumper crowd in Round 3 2015 on a Monday night for these two teams? :crazy:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Not surprised by the crowd last night and dont think anyone should be. We have a joke of a ticketing structure league wide which is ery discouraging for casual fans. they need to get people through the gates first with affordable pricing then attempt to turn those fans into members by making the experience enjoyable. We have the opposite currently with ticket prices universally high and a lack of mainstream membership and gameday marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts