What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Newcastle Knights Coaching Staff

Apey

Staff member
I heard on the radio this afternoon that Matt Elliott had been spotted house hunting in Newcastle.........

At least our team will be entertaining again. Sure the wrong kind of entertaining, but entertaining nonetheless...

Jono078

Referee
I heard on the radio this afternoon that Matt Elliott had been spotted house hunting in Newcastle.........
I won't even follow this club if they dare sign a coach that has been around multiple NRL clubs and failed and left the club in a worse position than before they got there.

Matthew Elliot, Ricky Stuart and Neil Henry fit that bill.

Swarzey

Bench
Matthew Elliot, Ricky Stuart and Neil Henry fit that bill.

lel.

But yeah, If the club has to stoop to the levels of Stuart and Elliot to get a coach, then all hope is lost. Really, we have a quality coach sitting in the wings, this shouldn't be a discussion at all.

Wato

Juniors
The tele for what it's worth are linking Brennan, Matt Parish, Neil Henry, Trent Barrett,Terry Materson and Mick Potter to the job, while claiming Stone is the leading candidate at this time. More interesting is talk of a rift between Bennett and Stone for the past 18 months and the fact Bennett has not endorsed Stone for the job like he did Price and Griffin in the past.

Stone if it is worth anything will have the backing of the Sims boys being Fiji coach. Rick could well have had enough of being blocked out and if the wrestling coach issue pre finals last year is true then I am not surprised. Rick is a good bloke. I know I have not endorsed him as first choice but I won't cry if he gets the job. He will get my support as that is my duty as a fan.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Tim Sheens is my pick. Not saying necessarily the right one but i can't see a up and comer getting a look in for a while yet. I just feel the new board will go for an experienced coach to keep the playing group intact.

Who ever it is MUST be a very experienced hand. We can ill afford to have an inexperienced coach on a steep learning curve at this time.

As much as I like Stone he is NOT the man to lead us right now. We need a steady hand on the tiller and one with enough of a name that players will want to go to Newcastle to play under him.

Sheens is the Australian coach and an experienced Premiership winner, I'll put my lot with him seeing how we've got Buckly's chance of Hasler or Bellamy coming.

Spot On

Coach
The tele for what it's worth are linking Brennan, Matt Parish, Neil Henry, Trent Barrett,Terry Materson and Mick Potter to the job, while claiming Stone is the leading candidate at this time. More interesting is talk of a rift between Bennett and Stone for the past 18 months and the fact Bennett has not endorsed Stone for the job like he did Price and Griffin in the past.

Price and Griffin lol. Two dud recommendations there from Bennett. Hire stone immediately then. Bennett would be worried Stone will get the boys firing pretty quickly, something he could not manage. He has seemingly sabotaged his previous clubs with his choice of replacement.

1qaz

Juniors
Price and Griffin lol. Two dud recommendations there from Bennett. Hire stone immediately then. Bennett would be worried Stone will get the boys firing pretty quickly, something he could not manage. He has seemingly sabotaged his previous clubs with his choice of replacement.

Henjak was hired after Wayne left the Broncos.
This was after the Broncos went all out trying to get Bellamy's siganture

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

macavity

Referee
Who ever it is MUST be a very experienced hand. We can ill afford to have an inexperienced coach on a steep learning curve at this time.

As much as I like Stone he is NOT the man to lead us right now. We need a steady hand on the tiller and one with enough of a name that players will want to go to Newcastle to play under him.

Sheens is the Australian coach and an experienced Premiership winner, I'll put my lot with him seeing how we've got Buckly's chance of Hasler or Bellamy coming.

Sheens is past it and won't attract players anyway.

March Bennett and give stone the rest of the year and two more to establish himself.

Spot On

Coach
Henjak was hired after Wayne left the Broncos.
This was after the Broncos went all out trying to get Bellamy's siganture

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

Ha, what happened to Henjak lol. You've just helped perpetuate his dud recommendations. :lol:

Price and Henjak didn't last too long did they!

Give Rick the job now. He can't do any worse than the current coach. Rock bottom has been reached.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Stone head coach. I still have my concerns but he's the best candidate out of those named. I'd also feel bloody sorry for him if he didn't get the nod over the inexperienced coaches named.

If Crawly stays on I'd like to see him as assistant. If we're serious about relying on our junior talent then he has a great insight about their ability and they'd be more likely to stay at the club. If he goes with Bennett then bringing Brennan back as assistant could work. He's already been assistant to Stone before so it would be an easy transition.

RHCP

Bench
Last years Grand Final coaches were Trent Robinson and Geoff Toovey. No Sheens, Elliott, Henry, etc. "experienced" coaches. Bennett was there with us, as was Maguire, another inexperienced coach.

Experience is overrated.

1qaz

Juniors
Ha, what happened to Henjak lol. You've just helped perpetuate his dud recommendations. :lol:

Price and Henjak didn't last too long did they!

Give Rick the job now. He can't do any worse than the current coach. Rock bottom has been reached.

WTF? Since when did Bennett recommend Henjak the job?
Keep backpedaling

Wato

Juniors

Yea a Bennett indorsement is no guarantee of success and I think Price got given a shit job with an aging roster and Bennett taking his best players. Stone has shown his up to coaching in the NRL in the past and a lack of endorsement will not bother him especially if he can get the NSW cup boys deep into the finals again.