What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NRL Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

some11

Referee
Supposed to look like a number patch has been sewn on. Only problem is the Dragons never had number patches on the Red V, the numbers themselves were sewn onto the jersey. Also the numbers were red and rounded, not black and shitty blocks.

So in other words, they got everything wrong. Great success design department!

zVoYKiQ.gif

http://www.nrl.com/monday-morning-halfback-round-14/tabid/10874/newsid/87048/default.aspx

Time for Squad Numbers?
Another concept that has been on the drawing board for some time at NRL HQ with varying levels of interest is squad numbers on the back of jerseys.
The basic idea is that players have their own unique number with their name on the back of their jersey, similar to other major sports like the English Premier League and the NBA.
Australian basketball player Matthew Dellavedova’s Cleveland Cavaliers No.8 jersey rocketed to the top of jersey sales this week off the back of some incredible performances in the NBA Finals. His jersey is currently outselling every other NBA player in the USA, including superstar teammate Le Bron James and other jersey behemoths Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.
The appeal of being able to buy a Billy Slater No.1 Storm jersey, Johnathan Thurston No.7 Cowboys or Shaun Johnson No.7 Warriors jersey would be great for both fans and clubs alike.
The model most mooted would involve clubs declaring their top 30 players at the start of the season. Starting fullbacks would still wear No.1 and halfbacks would still wear the No.7.
It would be a way for fans to connect and indentify more closely with their favourite players while also giving clubs and players a new revenue stream.
As always, the devil is in the detail.

Like the idea of names on the back but not stupid random numbers... been there done that super league

beave

Coach
So like the Storm did for all those years???

Clubs make a fair bit of money in advertising on that bit of jersey real estate, if they did go to this name on the back of jersey thing, I highly doubt they will make any more cash or even equal the revenue in extra jersey sales.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
So like the Storm did for all those years???

Clubs make a fair bit of money in advertising on that bit of jersey real estate, if they did go to this name on the back of jersey thing, I highly doubt they will make any more cash or even equal the revenue in extra jersey sales.

won't get done cos they wont be able to have as many ads. then again, they may just make the whole front of the jersey an ad so it looks like a walking billboard. the other issue with squad number is players changing positions/roles within the team/teams ending up with several numbers depending on a year by year basis

hellteam

First Grade
This comes up all the time and generally I'm a fan of the idea, but the jerseys are already cluttered enough with all the sponsors, no way they will get rid of a sponsor for names.

If by some miracle they agreed to get rid of the top sponsor, I reckon every team picks a squad 1-25 at the start of the year, First choice players get the proper numbers, and they keep them all year. I think they do that in the Super League now?