What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 TV ratings

DC_fan

Coach
For a game that was well publicised in Sydney and I would assume Brisbane, the numbers are a little down on what I would expect.

Not sure how much publicity the game received in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth but the figures for those cities were terrible.

Starkers

Bench
The constant questioning of the game became irritating. Previously I had thought they played this on a Saturday as well, with an ODI as a lead-in. The Cricket World Cup might be a headwind.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure how much publicity the game received in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth but the figures for those cities were terrible.

Zero. Even I forgot it was on and ended up catching it on foxsports later in the night. Ch9 or gem does not put a one single ad for rl on in perth.

Also oztam has one box for around 500 people in perth. So we had 14 people with a box watching the game, if when you get to low numbers like this that is a valid and reliable statistical representation of Perths 2million people is questionable. A few more rl fans with boxes and the numbers suddenly look much healthier.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Zero. Even I forgot it was on and ended up catching it on foxsports later in the night. Ch9 or gem does not put a one single ad for rl on in perth.

Also oztam has one box for around 500 people in perth. So we had 14 people with a box watching the game, if when you get to low numbers like this that is a valid and reliable statistical representation of Perths 2million people is questionable. A few more rl fans with boxes and the numbers suddenly look much healthier.

Perth appears to get 7,000 a match whether its NRL Friday night game, Test match or All Stars..

Maybe they just keep the same boxes with the same people...

Anyway, looking forward to following the Perth ratings with you this year...

Should be fun...

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's frustrating as the game is so buried by ch9 and the west australian that it is hard to see numbers growing significantly despite the increasing popularity of rl here. Origin and gf are the only games that get anything like decent covg, even then ch 9 hardly advertise them, and get 125-150k watching so the potential is there.

oikee

Juniors
We even got a story about death riding our own code in the paper.
No wonder nobody watches. With the Storm telling everyone how crap the nines are, there goes your Melbourne audience again.
We promote the code by talking it down, telling everyone it is shite, that will bring in the punters. The 30 thousand from Melbourne, a couple in Adelaide and Perth.

Look on the bright side, K.Hunt is a complete dropkick, and cant play union. He could not play afl either. Same as Falou.

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's frustrating as the game is so buried by ch9 and the west australian that it is hard to see numbers growing significantly despite the increasing popularity of rl here. Origin and gf are the only games that get anything like decent covg, even then ch 9 hardly advertise them, and get 125-150k watching so the potential is there.

Based on how poorly the AFL rates in Sydney with a bigger population, comparatively massive advertising occurring, more expats and actual teams of their own, I can't agree...

The game will always rate poorly there...

Luckily for Perth Expansion plans though, it's all about the different time slots back on the East Coast which will be there saviour...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Based on how poorly the AFL rates in Sydney with a bigger population, comparatively massive advertising occurring, more expats and actual teams of their own, I can't agree...

The game will always rate poorly there...

Luckily for Perth Expansion plans though, it's all about the different time slots back on the East Coast which will be there saviour...

If we could get viewing figures up to 75-100k a game, which should be manageable with some decent promotion and higher profile a team will bring, that is around 4-5million extra viewing figures in the annual metro ratings. That would blow afl out of the water nationally for annual viewing, melbourne would be in the same boat and would be even more dramatic an increase. The one thing we will always struggle with in WA is live kick off time on a Friday as many people are still getting home from work or at FRiday drinks, which is an institution here, when the first nrl game kicks off WA time.

LJC

Juniors
Combined Metro & Reg: 792k

Not a bad ratings figure and not a bad crowd figure!

This is despite the media death riding the concept and exorbitant ticket prices to watch the game!

BTW the nines was once again a great success! It was disappointing that the nines was not on free to air this year! It rated very well last year. Perhaps the cricket had something to do with that?

Wondering what times the World club challenge games are on Gem this weekend?

BuffaloRules

Coach
71K is good for Melb...

Unfortunately 5K seems to be standard for Perth....

Maybe news will filter through over there that the season has started by mid May...