What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Alternate Strip

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Our first game in 1921, we were known as the Dragon Slayers... was there an uproar when that changed
No, there was certainly no uproar and they were very different times.

The 'Dragon Slayers' was a nickname coined by the media - in particular, it was mentioned in the local newspaper The St George Call - but the exact year when this happened is open to conjecture. The media also called us the 'Red and Whites' and briefly, the 'Illawarraites' in the 1920s. But for the most part it was the fans who decided and we were simply called 'St George' or 'Saints'.

Back then there wasn't the same branding of teams, the clubs were very much associated with their districts. We knew this right up until the 1980s. It just made sense to say 'the Saints' or 'St George'. Straight forward stuff.

'Dragons Slayers', I believe, never really took hold and pretty much disappeared by the 1930s, it was resurrected on occasion in latter years but was eventually shortened to 'Dragons'. Again, the timing of this is open to conjecture. We do know that the nickname 'Dragons' hovered during the post-war era and only evolved into a "brand name" in the 80s and 90s.

Since 1921, the most enduring nickname has been 'Saints'. There's no debate about that.

TruSaint said:
and if Im right, our first jersey was the B and B... who protested the move to the Red V ?
It was white with red hoops on top, this was in the early-late 1920s. The Blood and Bandages jersey was similar but a little different, it more resembled the butcher's apron, and that came in the mid-late 1930s.

There's an easy way to differentiate between the two:

1921: Our first year in First Grade | Horizontal red and white hoops.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team pic: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_team1921.php
[/FONT]
1941: Our first premiership | Blood and Bandages.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
1941_smith_0.jpg
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Team pic: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_team1941.php

In between these times, the Red V actually emerged. Here's a pic from 1930:

Link for team pic

There's a few stories as to the origins of the Red V. One is that there was a shortage of red ribbon in the Depression Years which forced the jersey redesign. Some say this is an urban myth, but the Red V was obviously a very distinctive jersey.

Distinctive enough to see it return in the mid-1940s, and stay with us to this day.

Link

To answer your last question TruSaint, I doubt there was any protest, but it was pride thing...

...and one that made former player and trainer Tom Killiby very proud, if you look at this pic here from 1941:

Link

He no doubt wore that jersey when he was a player. IMO, a very telling pic.

I like this quote from grouch "Personally I think the only "cop out" is selling out."

The Dragons sold out way back in 1998 the management sold the clubs history for a money grab.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Good one willow. Love the history associated with the club. It's kid of funny hearing how one generAtion is more loyal than another or we support saints more so than others. I've met
13 year old aboriginal kids from Cape York that support saints as well as a kogarah veteran who goes each game. As nick mentioned, with broadcast and the net it's a pretty wide web for fans to engrossed in. We are spread out, we are a merged team, we are recognisable and we are the best team in all our eyes.

TruSaint

Referee
No, there was certainly no uproar and they were very different times.

The 'Dragon Slayers' was a nickname coined by the media - in particular, it was mentioned in the local newspaper The St George Call - but the exact year when this happened is open to conjecture. The media also called us the 'Red and Whites' and briefly, the 'Illawarraites' in the 1920s. But for the most part it was the fans who decided and we were simply called 'St George' or 'Saints'.

Back then there wasn't the same branding of teams, the clubs were very much associated with their districts. We knew this right up until the 1980s. It just made sense to say 'the Saints' or 'St George'. Straight forward stuff.

'Dragons Slayers', I believe, never really took hold and pretty much disappeared by the 1930s, it was resurrected on occasion in latter years but was eventually shortened to 'Dragons'. Again, the timing of this is open to conjecture. We do know that the nickname 'Dragons' hovered during the post-war era and only evolved into a "brand name" in the 80s and 90s.

Since 1921, the most enduring nickname has been 'Saints'. There's no debate about that.

It was white with red hoops on top, this was in the early-late 1920s. The Blood and Bandages jersey was similar but a little different, it more resembled the butcher's apron, and that came in the mid-late 1930s.

There's an easy way to differentiate between the two:

1921: Our first year in First Grade | Horizontal red and white hoops.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Team pic: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_team1921.php
[/FONT]
1941: Our first premiership | Blood and Bandages.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
1941_smith_0.jpg
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Team pic: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_team1941.php

In between these times, the Red V actually emerged. Here's a pic from 1930:

Link for team pic

There's a few stories as to the origins of the Red V. One is that there was a shortage of red ribbon in the Depression Years which forced the jersey redesign. Some say this is an urban myth, but the Red V was obviously a very distinctive jersey.

Distinctive enough to see it return in the mid-1940s, and stay with us to this day.

Link

To answer your last question TruSaint, I doubt there was any protest, but it was pride thing...

...and one that made former player and trainer Tom Killiby very proud, if you look at this pic here from 1941:

Link

He no doubt wore that jersey when he was a player. IMO, a very telling pic.

ITS THAT last pic I was thinking off... being black and white doesnt do it justice.

Bold part I had no idea.

grouch

First Grade
Firstly - might I contend this highlights your arrogance, even more so than usual? How would you even know which generation I belong to? But to suggest that the younger generations, essentially the grassroots of the game, are "shallow" in their support of Rugby League really points out just how out of touch and arrogant you are. They don't value the same things you do so they must be "shallow". Please.

Anyways, ironic that you accuse me of being obtuse when you clearly don't grasp my argument whatsoever.

Hell you clearly struggle to comprehend growing trends in sport, globalisation, or the fact that our fan base's demographic has become increasingly diverse since the 1960's.

50 years ago we didn't have all 8 games broadcast nationally each week. We didn't have the internet. So naturally the only way to see a game of football was to head down to your local ground and support your local team. Your average St George fan was more than likely to reside in the St George area.

Fast forward to 2050, all games will be streamed online and accessible anywhere, anytime globally. Your average Dragons fan will come from anywhere in the world, may rarely be in Sydney to attend a home game, though when they are they will get a thrill out of attending world class, purpose built stadiums (sort of like all the Aussies who make a point of attending an NFL, NBA, NHL etc game whilst holidaying in the States and being blown away by the facilities).

The fact that you seem to think that the Dragons are alone in the direction they are heading is baffling. I highlighted the ridiculousness of this by asking how the 15 other clubs survive.

Look at far more viable sporting franchises in the NFL that have changed jerseys, relocated, merged and thrived. Please explain to me how this is possible for them but no-one else. (I understand you're a sensationalist poster but please resist the temptation to allege that I want the Dragons to relocate based on this statement - I'm simply highlighting it's been done before).
Nice response, although you avoided replying to my question of WHY anyone would be invested in this club. I'm Gen X btw. I have "Jump" on cassette tape

I am 100% aware of the global sporting landscape. I'm less than confident that our anachronistic board and CEO who have maintained their iron grip on the management of this club for over 15 years are equipped to cope with it. What I fail to grasp is how becoming like a bunch of other NRL clubs (aside from the fact we wear red and white) helps inspire new generations become emotionally invested. People can travel from all over the world to be blown away by the facilities at ANZ or Allianz for Roosters Souths Dogs Parra Tigers games too. Why choose us? Especially when some others win more often than we do. There are also people who travel to the US and are blown away by the sense of history in places like Lambeau, Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. Where are you getting that in the NRL? In the right hands it could be our point of difference (or one of them). I get a feeling no-one is planning trips to see Russell Packer run out onto ANZ in an Ironman jersey in front of 65000 empty seats. Probably not tuning in on their ipads either.

fwiw I applauded the joint venture - it was a smart strategic decision. I also understand the need for an alternate jersey (and I have argued on the NRL forum in favour of the 2016 one - i actually like it). This isn't about that, entirely. It's about a sense that the club is morphing into a vacuous franchise. Plastic, disposable and with little to value - like my Kriss Kross tape.

Last edited:

Latest posts