What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Alternate Strip

TruSaint

Referee
$_75.JPG

Funny, it doesn't look the Melbourne Storm. But it must be.

Is that Cam Smith ?

grouch

First Grade
Maybe they just like the St George Illawarra Dragons?
Or the colours
Or a player
Or their family follows the club
Or they go to school in the area and had a player visit
Or they like Dragons
Or their old Pop took them to a game
Or they had a family member play there in years gone past
Or a school mate plays there
Why must it be limited to a jersey or where they play ? Do you follow St Helens? Similar Red V.
Every supporter/consumer/customer/fan will give you a different reason.

Most of these do not represent an "emotional investment". All you've listed are "catalysts". For example.. when Kriss Kross emerged in the early 90's they were the catalyst for people wearing their pants backwards. The fad quickly passed though. Because there was no depth.

The only one with any real emotional connection is Pop taking them to a game. But when Pop is considered an irrelevant or "dead" demographic, that one seems to be at risk.

The Nick

Bench
Most of these do not represent an "emotional investment". All you've listed are "catalysts". For example.. when Kriss Kross emerged in the early 90's they were the catalyst for people wearing their pants backwards. The fad quickly passed though. Because there was no depth.

The only one with any real emotional connection is Pop taking them to a game. But when Pop is considered an irrelevant or "dead" demographic, that one seems to be at risk.

Interesting. So how do the 15 clubs without a Red V survive? Seems impossible by your logic...

The Nick

Bench
Interesting how certain posters on here don't like to have their POV challenged, and when you do you're dismissed as being "arrogant" or "obtuse". Of course I'm missing the point on a subject I initiated in this thread.... What a cop out.

Sure, let's blindly cling to the fantasy that a business model that was successful 50 years ago will be successful 50 years from now, completely ignoring all the variables. Change is death.

grouch

First Grade
Of course, when the acumen and business savvy of the dinosaurs on the board of our club are challenged then certain posters on here are very quick to resist change.

When you purge your identity, home, and strip away the fundamental columns that make up the club, then yeah, change is death.

Personally I think the only "cop out" is selling out.

Interesting how certain posters on here don't like to have their POV challenged, and when you do you're dismissed as being "arrogant" or "obtuse". Of course I'm missing the point on a subject I initiated in this thread.... What a cop out.

Sure, let's blindly cling to the fantasy that a business model that was successful 50 years ago will be successful 50 years from now, completely ignoring all the variables. Change is death.

That is the problem I have with your approach mate.

Footy is a business today, granted but the game and the performance of the players (W.Smith is a perfect example) was and is about loyalty to one another, determination, effort, success and an attitude of no surrender when things get tough. That is what attracted a number of us to the red V some time ago. It is the symbol of those qualities. That is why I or one want the jersey used by the playing group.

I respect the club is the product of a JV with Illawarra. Hence the Scarlett Jersey(no red shorts) should be worn at Wollongong. The away strip should be the red V as in my opinion it does not clash with any opponents jerseys at this time.

The Nick

Bench
Umm I've never suggested otherwise re: the Red V. I love the Red V, own several of them and have always agreed that it should forever be our main jersey. Find a single post where I've said otherwise.

However I aknowledge that the alternative jersey is an NRL requirement and is an effective marketing and revenue raising tool. On top of all that I actually like many of our alternative designs (I know f*** me, right!?). The Blood and Bandages, a couple of Charity Shields, an Indigenous design and a couple of Illawarra alternatives all hold pride of place amongst my collection of Red V's.

As far as I'm concerned if it's Red and White then it's alright.

But if my loyalty to the Red V isn't as staunch as some, if I'm accepting of change then by some posters logic I mustn't be as invested in the club as they are. Ridiculous.

Umm I've never suggested otherwise re: the Red V. I love the Red V, own several of them and have always agreed that it should forever be our main jersey. Find a single post where I've said otherwise.

However I aknowledge that the alternative jersey is an NRL requirement and is an effective marketing and revenue raising tool. On top of all that I actually like many of our alternative designs (I know f*** me, right!?). The Blood and Bandages, a couple of Charity Shields, an Indigenous design and a couple of Illawarra alternatives all hold pride of place amongst my collection of Red V's.

As far as I'm concerned if it's Red and White then it's alright.

But if my loyalty to the Red V isn't as staunch as some, if I'm accepting of change then by some posters logic I mustn't be as invested in the club as they are. Ridiculous.

Take it easy brother no one is questioning anyone's loyalty.

Understand NRL requirement.

Doesn't mean I don't like to see alternative strips for specific games like Charity Shield or ANZAC day, just saying its not a business to me.

The Nick

Bench
Take it easy brother no one is questioning anyone's loyalty.

Understand NRL requirement.

Doesn't mean I don't like to see alternative strips for specific games like Charity Shield or ANZAC day, just saying its not a business to me.

The loyalty comment was aimed at grouch who seems to claim without the Red V and Kogarah there's nothing left in the club to be invested in.

The loyalty comment was aimed at grouch who seems to claim without the Red V and Kogarah there's nothing left in the club to be invested in.

Noted mate, the demographics have changed significantly.

I remember a few years ago going to Suncorp with my brother in law who lives in Brisbane on a day we won. We literally had just as much support as the Broncos.

As we left the ground 2 very confused Bronco supporters who had come from Toowoomba to see the game remarked they felt the Saints supporters outnumbered the Bronco supporters.

Don't need to live in Kogarah to support the team.

But it is nice for us to have a home ground within the geographical area of the club.

grouch

First Grade
Since our own obtuse Nick fired the first shots in some kind of generational warfare... I might opine this. Nick et al are simply incapable of defining exactly WHY they are invested in this club. They are bereft. We can release local players, we can sign up convicted violent criminals, we can make a home at Allianz and ANZ and wherever else. Apparently, all that matters is that the shirts we wear at the time contain the colours red and white. Might I contend that this highlights the shallowness of his generation?

BennyV

Referee
Since our own obtuse Nick fired the first shots in some kind of generational warfare... I might opine this. Nick et al are simply incapable of defining exactly WHY they are invested in this club. They are bereft. We can release local players, we can sign up convicted violent criminals, we can make a home at Allianz and ANZ and wherever else. Apparently, all that matters is that the shirts we wear at the time contain the colours red and white. Might I contend that this highlights the shallowness of his generation?

You might not. Dont group us all in the same. At 27 and living in the South west, I would love every game to be played out of Kogarah and wearing the Red V. I own 2 Red V jerseys, one blood and bandages and this year's heritage jersey (signed by Johnny Raper;-)). Can't wait til next year so I can put my son in a Red V and take him to our home games. Hate playing out of ANZ and I think Allianz should be reserved for Anzac Day only. Not too disturbed on Packer and would don't necessarily agree with the local junior comment, players shops be picked on merit alone.

And more than anything, I wish our club was the envy of all others both on the field and off. And we definitely aren't the latter.

TruSaint

Referee
IMO, the Red V will always be our iconic jersey both historically and commercially.

Dont dismiss the younger lads buying the Red V as well as maybe soem of the more modern / creative designs. My son is 14 and his first outfit at birth was a baby size Red V signed by the whole team of 2001. He treasures it.

However when he does go out he prefers his Super Hero outfit. Its a talking point, he likes it.

Dont know how old Nick is, or many here for that matter, but to suggest that a choice of jersey in 2015 is somehow linked to a "shallowness" of generation is off the mark.

Our first game in 1921, we were known as the Dragon Slayers... was there an uproar when that changed, and if Im right, our first jersey was the B and B... who protested the move to the Red V ?

TruSaint

Referee
Correction but still relevant.

Club Champions for first time!
SAINTS SWITCH BACK TO HURSTVILLE OVAL AND DON NEW JERSEY
Season Snapshot
In 1940, Saints finished in third position on the ladder qualifying for semi-finals before bowing out in the major semi-final.
Hurstville Oval, 3 August 1940: St George completed round 14 by defeating Wests 31-15. Saints did well in all three grades in 1940 and won the Club Championship for the first time. 1940 also saw the club return to Hurstville Oval as their home ground after 15 seasons at Earl Park.
St George also have done away with their red vee jersey and switched back to a red hoops jersey, similar to that which they wore between 1921-1927. The main difference being the thin red hoops on either side of wider hoops instead of the simple wide red hoops of the 1920s. The jersey earned St George another new nickname, 'Blood & Bandages'. The club would eventually return a wide red vee later in the 1940s.

The Nick

Bench

Firstly - might I contend this highlights your arrogance, even more so than usual? How would you even know which generation I belong to? But to suggest that the younger generations, essentially the grassroots of the game, are "shallow" in their support of Rugby League really points out just how out of touch and arrogant you are. They don't value the same things you do so they must be "shallow". Please.

Anyways, ironic that you accuse me of being obtuse when you clearly don't grasp my argument whatsoever.

Hell you clearly struggle to comprehend growing trends in sport, globalisation, or the fact that our fan base's demographic has become increasingly diverse since the 1960's.

50 years ago we didn't have all 8 games broadcast nationally each week. We didn't have the internet. So naturally the only way to see a game of football was to head down to your local ground and support your local team. Your average St George fan was more than likely to reside in the St George area.

Fast forward to 2050, all games will be streamed online and accessible anywhere, anytime globally. Your average Dragons fan will come from anywhere in the world, may rarely be in Sydney to attend a home game, though when they are they will get a thrill out of attending world class, purpose built stadiums (sort of like all the Aussies who make a point of attending an NFL, NBA, NHL etc game whilst holidaying in the States and being blown away by the facilities).

The fact that you seem to think that the Dragons are alone in the direction they are heading is baffling. I highlighted the ridiculousness of this by asking how the 15 other clubs survive.

Look at far more viable sporting franchises in the NFL that have changed jerseys, relocated, merged and thrived. Please explain to me how this is possible for them but no-one else. (I understand you're a sensationalist poster but please resist the temptation to allege that I want the Dragons to relocate based on this statement - I'm simply highlighting it's been done before).

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade

How dafuq do you know what these mean to other people?
Another subject you know nothing about...this and footy.

And I don't want to hear about your Kriss Kross fetish either, weirdo.

Latest posts