What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't disagree with this,but I think its more of a long term pay off.

You can't seriously believe that TV monies would have stayed the same if no new teams were created?

There would have been some inflationary increase but given lack of competition for AFL coverage and a feeling that TV has paid overs in the past and that they had nothing else new to offer other than an extra game it is a fair assumption that the extra game was a big factor in a significant annual $ increase.

I laughed when I saw this. Following is the game day banner used by the Western Bulldogs in their Preliminary Final last weekend -

upload_2016-9-28_14-45-26.png

Last edited:

wests1

Juniors
To those ragging on storm fans it's also worth pointing out that it's the end of school holidays this weekend in Victoria and there is no public holiday on Monday in Vic either. Sunday night game in Sydney under these circumstances makes it very hard.

Mister M

Juniors
Still available seats in the Storm section. Plastic club. No fans.

As a Storm member who is coming up for the NRL Grand Final, it is a really costly trip to make.

By the time the Storm had made the NRL Grand Final on Saturday, the Swans AFL supporters had already had a 24 head start on MEL-SYD flights on Sunday morning, meaning Sunday flights were over $400 per person just to get to Sydney.

Due to Sydney Airport having such an early curfew, even if I left straight after the game I would be unable to get onto a flight on Sunday night and have to stay in Sydney on Sunday night. Accomodation for the night for two people $300+ due to NSW/QLD long weekend. Then trying to fly home on Monday early enough to still do a half day of work (impossible to get from SYD-MEL in time for a full day) cost another $200 pp.

Add tickets in the Storm fans area at $198 each.

$400x2
+$300
+$200x2
$198x2

=$1496 for two people to get to the game and that's before you include any food, Sydney airport PT charges, airport parking, etc for one days entertainment.

Compare that to a Sharks supporter who pays $198 each for a ticket that gives them free PT from the Shire.

Not really a fair comparison is it?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Other strategy? Every other strategy has been taking a backseat for a decade. And I use the word strategy loosely because there is no strategy anywhere in the game, either to consolidate or to expand. It is a total lack of strategy. The strategy is that there is no strategy. Bumble along and hope the VFL go away and that somehow the sport also grows in new areas by magic. That's the NRL way.

It's taken a back seat because we've never had the money to fund any effective ones.

To compete with the afl you need money
Otherwise it's just giving lip service to development.
With big coin coming into the game in 2018
I'd expect things to finally start happening from then
But we'll see.

It's taken a back seat because we've never had the money to fund any effective ones.

To compete with the afl you need money
Otherwise it's just giving lip service to development.
With big coin coming into the game in 2018
I'd expect things to finally start happening from then
But we'll see.
There has been more than enough money to expand the game. And there's more than enough now. Still nothing. They decided to just give everyone massive pay rises, and they'll do the same again next time and claim they still don't have the money to expand, or make myriad other excuses.

Raiderdave

First Grade
There has been more than enough money to expand the game. And there's more than enough now. Still nothing. They decided to just give everyone massive pay rises, and they'll do the same again next time and claim they still don't have the money to expand, or make myriad other excuses.
What proof have you got that every one got pay rises
I don't think they're listed
You're guessing...

What proof have you got that every one got pay rises
I don't think they're listed
You're guessing...
No I'm not. The players got millions in pay rises. And remember that was going to put an end to players switching codes. Since then we've lost plenty more players like Burgess (ok he came back), Koroibete, Waqa and and the likes of Folau and Hunt didn't come back either. So the pay rises haven't grown the sport and the money hasn't been spent on development or expansion. And the lack of expansion means less product to sell to tv, potentially less sponsors, less merchandise sales, less fans, less exposure in general and in terms of a Perth side a missed chance to fight the VFL on their own turf for a change. Attack is the best form of defence anyway. But no, we're stuck in our trenches hoping the invading army decides to go home.

Raiderdave

First Grade
No I'm not. The players got millions in pay rises. And remember that was going to put an end to players switching codes. Since then we've lost plenty more players like Burgess (ok he came back), Koroibete, Waqa and and the likes of Folau and Hunt didn't come back either. So the pay rises haven't grown the sport and the money hasn't been spent on development or expansion. And the lack of expansion means less product to sell to tv, potentially less sponsors, less merchandise sales, less fans, less exposure in general and in terms of a Perth side a missed chance to fight the VFL on their own turf for a change. Attack is the best form of defence anyway. But no, we're stuck in our trenches hoping the invading army decides to go home.

Media revenue increased from 500 million to 1.2 billion
The players deserved a pay rise because they're the only reason we got a rise.
The cap went from 4.8 Million to 6.8 million so a 50% rise
but revenue rose by 150%
So we're spending less on wages for players as a % of revenue then we were.
Expansion costs money
It dilutes the quality of the comp
It isn't the silver bullet some in here are claiming. Our focus quite rightly is elsewhere atm & until all 16 clubs are sustainable
We shouldn't be looking at it.

Media revenue increased from 500 million to 1.2 billion
The players deserved a pay rise because they're the only reason we got a rise.
The cap went from 4.8 Million to 6.8 million so a 50% rise
but revenue rose by 150%
So we're spending less on wages for players as a % of revenue then we were.
Expansion costs money
It dilutes the quality of the comp
It isn't the silver bullet some in here are claiming. Our focus quite rightly is elsewhere atm & until all 16 clubs are sustainable
We shouldn't be looking at it.
So what's the rest of that money being spent on? The existing clubs will never ever ever be profitable and never have been. If that's the prerequisite for expansion it will never happen. It's just yet another excuse from an incompetent administration that hasn't got the ability to grow the sport, even though this is their job. They're too busy f**king the rules, bending over for tv companies and feathering their own nests to do what they're actually supposed to be doing. And expansion only "dilutes the quality" when the NRL is failing to grow the player pool. And it is failing, badly.

Raiderdave

First Grade
So what's the rest of that money being spent on? The existing clubs will never ever ever be profitable and never have been. If that's the prerequisite for expansion it will never happen. It's just yet another excuse from an incompetent administration that hasn't got the ability to grow the sport, even though this is their job. They're too busy f**king the rules, bending over for tv companies and feathering their own nests to do what they're actually supposed to be doing. And expansion only "dilutes the quality" when the NRL is failing to grow the player pool. And it is failing, badly.

the AFL has twice the player pool we have
that didn't stop their comp being at its lowest quality ever when they expanded & 5 years & 200 million dollars later its only marginally improved

the annual report shows where all the money goes
but your assertion its all going to the players is wrong , as their pay rise didn't reflect the rise in the overall increase.

taipan

Referee

" Where did the rest of the money go"
Firstly the code actually lost money in 2012.An extra $5m per annum paid out in admin costs ,wiped in 2016
Greentea is earning half the money Smith earned.

Try paying for the Titans(expansion club) until sold Newcastle until sold ,West Tigers(Balmain side),loans to the Dragons(until part sold),to the Sharks re legals,Touch football takeover,now paying the Jillaroos for the first time(need more),increase in extras to all clubs above grants,money set aside for contributions to new infrastructure.
The admin was paying each club $40,000 for every Monday night game,est $1m each year to cover loss of attendees.
Money for indigenous programs,health programs,Men of League,grassroots,stop violence against women programs,money to assist every player from U20 to NRL for further education,depression programs.
Match payment assistance for Kiwi players when they play Australia.Programs in the Pacific Islands and PNG.

As explained time and time again,the big money does not come into the game til 2018.
Anyone would think there is some bleeding vault in Moore Park overflowing with monopoly money unused or planned to use.

Every man women and child wants to grow and expand the game.A no brainer.
As the fumblers have shown you need large quantities and even then you can stuff it.

" The existing clubs will never be profitable" ,the Storm for a start are expecting their first profit this year.
Another crystal ball prediction,surprise.If current clubs in heartland areas " will never be profitable" ,then rest your soul, expansion clubs some in non heartland areas will never be profitable,based on your logic.

Canard

Immortal
As a Storm member who is coming up for the NRL Grand Final, it is a really costly trip to make.

Not to rub it in, but last year a flight from Melbourne to Sydney cost me $90 return (and I only booked it on the Sunday before)!

I flew home on the 6am on the Monday and went straight to work.

Latest posts