What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
comparing apples with apples, Australian media deals.
And you really dont think spending $40mill a year to return $66million plus national profile plus taking the fight to your competitors doorstep plus building on a fake pulic perception as "Autralias game" is a good return? They have effectively buit clubs in direct competition to NRL heartland areas, got the media to pay for it and come out $26million a year on top. We can but dream....

surely you dont think that Suns and GWS was a direct attack on NRL...

Its not like they signed up 2 players directly from NRL, to play in their teams, and effectively ended their NRL careers, for a cheap publicity stunt... that was funded by Fox and Ch 7

I'm sure if NRL put in a team in called the Geelong Rats, an offered Rodney Dangerfield, $7M a year to play from them, no one from AFL or Victoria would be offended

T-Boon

Coach
The AFL is peaking out at the moment, they cant really expand any further. We still have many opportunities for expansion and if we can get it right our international game hasn't even started to reach its potential. Focus on our backyard and everything will look after itself.

The AFL is peaking out at the moment - thats true, but they are far from done expanding. They will be aiming for another Sydney team within 10 years I would imagine. That might be sooner than the next NRL expansion team.

T-Boon

Coach
We need to make sure we are still somewhere near competitive on tv figures in 4 years..

If channel 9 numbers keep falling, we may not be

There are some key areas the NRL needs to look at in terms of TV ratings. For instance:

1. make the game more entertaining on the field - more attack, ball pass oriented football (defence and conservative football is too dominant ATM);

2. Learn to deal with the media better. Players, coaches, clubs need to get a better appreciation of the media and grasp the concept that TV is a very big reason they are going to make a lot of money...so actually start giving more in interviews. Stop talking in cliques. Give some insight. Get some personality.

In addition to the above the NRL has the opportunity to get a lot more TV revenue by extending the game. Play in quarters, stop the clock when the ball is out of play...even look at 90 second coaches time out each half.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
There are some key areas the NRL needs to look at in terms of TV ratings. For instance:

In addition to the above the NRL has the opportunity to get a lot more TV revenue by extending the game. Play in quarters, stop the clock when the ball is out of play...even look at 90 second coaches time out each half.

This... it would be so easy as a starting point to take the 75-80 minute time rule and expand it to the whole game... i have never understood why its time on while everyone is jogging back for a kick off..

This would probably add 7-10 minutes to each game of direct play time, and build up the fatigue factor more so the games would open up in last 20 minutes more ..

Great games have around the last 25 minutes of intense to and fro ... we cant just have intense 5 minutes.. just when it gets good its over

Bronxnation

Juniors
This... it would be so easy as a starting point to take the 75-80 minute time rule and expand it to the whole game... i have never understood why its time on while everyone is jogging back for a kick off..

This would probably add 7-10 minutes to each game of direct play time, and build up the fatigue factor more so the games would open up in last 20 minutes more ..

Great games have around the last 25 minutes of intense to and fro ... we cant just have intense 5 minutes.. just when it gets good its over
You obviously have never played the game at least not at a decent level. Playing the game in quarters will by no means help the players recover the extra 15-20 they have to spend in play. player burnout is problem enough. AFL can do it because all they do is run and kick
coaches timeout is the dumbest thing ever, teams work hard to create momentum why should a team have the power to erase the hard work created through a silly american concept. It's for pussies that cant keep up with the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah keep it halves... just time off after goals till kick off..

Longer game = more $$

Not from pay tv, the popularity of the game drives the real value via numbers of subscribers. Hence why Fox got this deal at a steal, getting simu cast n the countries most popular to sport will have boosted their subscriptions significantly for less than they paid for AFL.

FTA yes as they can stick more adverts in and make it more unwatchable.

Raiderdave

First Grade
People seem to.be forgetting we also got a massive increase in our deal too without expanding so no burden of expansion clubs needing millions to set up & millions more to run each year like the afl has & will continue to have for decades , so our extra 150 million a year is free to shore up our clubs financial futures , & develop our game so it can take the fight right to the afl in NSW & QLD.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I really feel for sorry for Rugby League fans in Australia as in season you got the AFL trying to make out it's the top sport in Sydney and then when all NRL business is finished you have the f**kin A-Whole League and Soccer saying it's going take over all be it League, Aussie Rules, Cricket etc.
That would really grind me.

Canard

Immortal
I really feel for sorry for Rugby League fans in Australia as in season you got the AFL trying to make out it's the top sport in Sydney and then when all NRL business is finished you have the f**kin A-Whole League and Soccer saying it's going take over all be it League, Aussie Rules, Cricket etc.

Nobody is scared of the A-League though, despite the odd big crowd its struggling in TV ratings and just general public interest.

moffla

Bench
Nobody is scared of the A-League though, despite the odd big crowd its struggling in TV ratings and just general public interest.
No-one should be scared of the A-league because the two codes are played at different times. I find it quite easy to support both Storm and Victory as they so rarely interfere with each other.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If we're resigned to simply fighting off Victorianball on our own doorstep we're in deep shit.

Not a case of being resigned to it , it's a fact they're after our markets & will spend money to achieve their end game goal.

We need to match their spend & ensure their efforts are nothing more then them pissing their money up against the wall.
Our game is the better product but that won't be enough by itself.

Any other strategy we have for growing the game here & elsewhere will have to take a back seat for a while until the heartland is secure.

Raiderdave

First Grade

The A league can't even dominate the season it's played in without any competition from any other football code.

Cricket destroys it
To the point of Embarrassment.

A comp low on broader appeal
And a media rights deal which reflects this
Same as yawnion

The only sports with clout in this country are the big 3
Afl
RL
Cricket

Depending on where you are
Determines who's numb one

Raiderdave

First Grade
Still available seats in the Storm section. Plastic club. No fans.
It's such a shame the fudgets didn't get through to the football fan GF.
It would have been very funny seeing how the afl would have spun only 500 tickets being sold to Sydney based members lol

That's plastic at a whole different level.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
It is basically sold out and was before tickets went on sale to the public, only single seats available in both the Sharks and Storm areas, so the only reason its not sold out is there are a few singles in various areas.