What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Match Review Committee / Judiciary

shaggs

Coach
I'm most looking forward to the 25 minute mark when the super sub combo of Vaughan and Tapine cum off the bench and are inserted into the game... "Vaugine" should be able to take any impact from the Sharks tiring big men and help produce points late in the half.
Vaugine like wizards sleeve?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We should overhaul the MRC and do away with the judiciary all together.
We should do away with the opportunity for someone to have a hearing?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

some11

Referee
I think he's arguing for a Philippines style justice system, anyone accused of being a grub gets punished in the street.

betcats

Referee
We should do away with the opportunity for someone to have a hearing?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Because it's horseshit anyway. It's a game not a court of law. Look at the video and decide what the infringement is worth it shouldn't be that hard to decide what the penalty is for high tackle.

We are such a f**king nanny state in Australia, you can't even suspend an athlete for foul play without giving them a chance for a hearing despite its being on video,

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I think he's arguing for a Philippines style justice system, anyone accused of being a grub gets punished in the street.

It's all on HD video, there's no accusations, everyone can see what happened. We've got high priced lawyers defending blokes for high tackles and shit like that and we are wondering why it's become so complicated.

SBD82

Coach
Because it's horseshit anyway. It's a game not a court of law. Look at the video and decide what the infringement is worth it shouldn't be that hard to decide what the penalty is for high tackle.

We are such a f**king nanny state in Australia, you can't even suspend an athlete for foul play without giving them a chance for a hearing despite its being on video,
That's not what a nanny state is.

betcats

Referee
But we aren't locking people up and seeking justice, it's ridiculous to even compare them. There is no doubt about what happened when players are charged it's on video for anyone to see. The doubt is on the "interpretation" of what happened which is created by the mrc and judiciary and the lawyers who's sole purpose is to create doubt. The whole things become a huge negative for the NRL. I can understand hearings for local park footy but not at this level.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
That's not what a nanny state is.

Hmm well my understanding of the term is obviously wrong. What I meant is we are so politically correct and worried about things being fair that we can't even suspend a player straight away when it's clear they broke the rules of the game. Now we have lawyers arguing simple infringements and the results are effecting the way the game is played and ref'd.

SBD82

Coach
Hmm well my understanding of the term is obviously wrong. What I meant is we are so politically correct and worried about things being fair that we can't even suspend a player straight away when it's clear they broke the rules of the game. Now we have lawyers arguing simple infringements and the results are effecting the way the game is played and ref'd.
It's not being politically correct either.

What you're talking about is the notion that a person has the right to respond when charges are leveled at them. It's a notion that is upheld to various extents in many countries around the world.

I understand that you think that the NRL should be able to assess guilt and penalise without the hearing process. In response I would point you to all the times that the MRC have botched their job this year.

What makes you think that the people in the system you are advocating would be any more competent?

betcats

Referee
It's not being politically correct either.

What you're talking about is the notion that a person has the right to respond when charges are leveled at them. It's a notion that is upheld to various extents in many countries around the world.

I understand that you think that the NRL should be able to assess guilt and penalise without the hearing process. In response I would point you to all the times that the MRC have botched their job this year.

What makes you think that the people in the system you are advocating would be any more competent?

I think it would be better because if you remove the judiciary then the mrc just has to find a way to be consistent with the penalties applied(difficult I know) and you have removed most of the controversy involved and you avoid situations like last week where you have the mrc explaining one interpretation of a rule and the judiciary obviously applying a different interpretation of the same rule to let Wighton off or Ryan James going to the judiciary and pleading not guilty to a high tackle when it's clear as day it was a high tackle. At the very least change it to an appeals process where players can appeal the penalties after they are decided instead of this stupid system of charging them and then letting them plea their innocence or accept early pleas for lesser punishments like it actually is a court of law. Like why does a proffesional rugby league player need a lawyer to go and argue technical rugby league issues? We are not far off having a lawyer argue a bloke shouldn't be suspended for a high tackle because he was temporarily insane. We don't need highly trained legal minds defending these sorts of rule infringements.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You cant kick a bloke because he is hanging around the ruck ? Are you saying if milford gets tangled up in the ptb on say shannon boyd next time we play and boyd kicks milford in the face you would think thats fair enough