What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Match Review Committee / Judiciary

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It implies he gets away with very serious offences constantly with little more than a slap on the wrist for his troubles. You can't deny that
He's received about 6 or 7 MRC charges over the past several years from memory. Whether he gets suspended or not, is dependent on the grading applied to each individual charge.

Drop the emotion - every case gets judged on its individual merits, then loading is applied where relevant.

Even then, I'm pretty sure he sat out a cumulative 5 weeks in suspensions in 2014, didn't he? This time around loading wasn't enough to get him suspended. I'm surprised it was Grade 1 but maybe the MRC deemed he was also trying to reach out to tackle. I don't know how trip gradings work, neither do any of you.
He does get away with things. He just got away with a trip in this last game. He's a serial offender and they do nothing about it.

Sure he has been punished before. But even on the rare occassion he is punished it's a slap on the wrist compared to other players.

It's not limited to just him. But he's definitely on the protected species list. A token punishment occassionally doesn't mean much. If he commits 5 offences in a game he cops a sap on the wrist for one and gets away with the rest. Bit like Billy Slater and Cameron Smith over the years.
Protected species oh god.

He got done for 3 weeks this time two years ago, but he's a protected species. Right.

Timmah

Staff member
Sunday | Rabbitohs v Raiders

Rabbitohs enforcer Sam Burgess has been with a Grade 1 Dangerous Contact (Other) charge from his side's 54-4 loss to the Raiders on Sunday. The incident happened in the 77th minute involving Canberra's Shannon Boyd.

The base penalty of 100 points is reduced to 75 with an early plea meaning he won't miss a game unless he is unsuccessful in pleading his case at the judiciary.

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/28872-nrl-match-review-round-21/

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Honestly I can cop a grade 1 for Josh Reynolds based on the other gradings I have seen for tripping. In fact if you are sly like Cameron Munster, you can actually legally trip players now.

skeepe

Immortal
Sunday | Rabbitohs v Raiders

Rabbitohs enforcer Sam Burgess has been with a Grade 1 Dangerous Contact (Other) charge from his side's 54-4 loss to the Raiders on Sunday. The incident happened in the 77th minute involving Canberra's Shannon Boyd.

The base penalty of 100 points is reduced to 75 with an early plea meaning he won't miss a game unless he is unsuccessful in pleading his case at the judiciary.

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/28872-nrl-match-review-round-21/
And once again fat Sam can shoulder charge with impunity.

Absolutely threw his shoulder at Bateman early in the match but we can't have the glamour boy missing time, can we?

Rabbits20

Immortal
And once again fat Sam can shoulder charge with impunity.

Absolutely threw his shoulder at Bateman early in the match but we can't have the glamour boy missing time, can we?
If it had have connected properly it would have been trouble.

Luckily it was a misfired attempt that barely connected so he only got the grade 1 which is fair enough.

By the way I've watched the incident back 8 times. So I know what I saw.

skeepe

Immortal
If it had have connected properly it would have been trouble.

Luckily it was a misfired attempt that barely connected so he only got the grade 1 which is fair enough.

By the way I've watched the incident back 8 times. So I know what I saw.
No, the grade 1 charge was for when he tried to wrench Shannon Boyd's arm out of its socket - something he only did after failing in his attempted swinging arm at Boyd's head.

He is an absolute thug and a protected species.

Rabbits20

Immortal
No, the grade 1 charge was for when he tried to wrench Shannon Boyd's arm out of its socket - something he only did after failing in his attempted swinging arm at Boyd's head.

He is an absolute thug and a protected species.
Have you got footage of the incident????

Timmah

Staff member
I don't get the protected remark?

Like, they'd probably be hoping for him to be suspended at the moment given he has feet as hands...

St Tangles

Bench
QUOTE UOTE="Timmah, post: 11684309, member: 5304"]

I don't know how trip gradings work, neither do any of you.[/QUOTE]

To be honest Timmah neither does the match review committee.

Every club would be able to find an example of when a player of theirs had been suspended and another clubs had been let off.

The most controversial one from the weekend for me is the Frizell one. Supporters from most clubs would agree that with the other players let off for similar incidents this shouldn't of rated a mention let alone a charge.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
To be honest Timmah neither does the match review committee.

Every club would be able to find an example of when a player of theirs had been suspended and another clubs had been let off.
I can agree with that. I'd err on the side of bumbling imcompetence over deliberate conspiracy.
The most controversial one from the weekend for me is the Frizell one. Supporters from most clubs would agree that with the other players let off this shouldn't of rated a mention let alone a charge.
I completely agree re: Frizell. The charge is probably consistent with most (read: not all) of the ones this season but it's getting beyond silly now.

St Tangles

Bench
The touching of the ref rule should be changed from it's current form so incidental contact is ignored it happens as sometimes the refs are in the wrong spot or a player doesn't see them.
It should be for players who grab the ref when arguing a penalty or pat them on the head ala Blocker Roach.

SBD82

Coach
The touching of the ref rule should be changed from it's current form so incidental contact is ignored it happens as sometimes the refs are in the wrong spot or a player doesn't see them.
It should be for players who grab the ref when arguing a penalty or pat them on the head ala Blocker Roach.
The problem with this is that the MRC really struggle when a rule is grey. (Determining intent is always grey)

In trying to be consistent they have thrown out common sense.

Which kind of makes sense as they don't seem to have any...

ek999

First Grade
The problem with the Reynolds trip isn't that the MRC went soft or that he is a protected species because of Greenberg. A grade 1 is consistent with what others have been charged with this year. The problem is the low points attributed to the charge (and I have NFI what a grade 5 trip would be)

A bigger joke IMO is that Thompson has just been suspended for a week for a high tackle with 3 prior similar offences on his record. Contact with the head can have long lasting health impacts on players and he is a consistent offender

Glad to see Frizell fighting the charge. Don't think there was much in it TBH

Timmah

Staff member
Tim, with all due respect, there is a chance you might have to consider that your support for one team effects the way you listen to all other opinions.
Of course it does - the same is true of every single person who posts on this forum...

POPEYE

Coach
You're doing a fine job Tim, we introverts are much maligned and are entitled to our views