What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Billythekid

First Grade
we'll get our first preview of what a stand alone SOO will look like when we get one next year
i hope its a full weekend of origin

16's
18's
20's
womens
SOO

all covered on either FTA or PTV

It will be a glimpse but IMO it won't really show us what a true SOO month (or 3 week period) would look like.

I really think if we give it a standalone period it will only serve to strengthen SOO. It would just be wall to wall info about SOO in the media. You wouldn't have to worry about backing up for clubs or SOO being affected by club games in anyway.

The positive impact it would have on the NRL is immense. I don't want to focus on that though because it's clear the NRL consider SOO to be the only thing that really matters.

johnny plath

Juniors
Agree there has been no promotion whatsoever for the games over the weekend. Souths and Parra were not affected by Origin and it was a vital game for both clubs. The NRL admin continues to disappoint.
but what do clubs do to promote... aren't regular season game takings all going to the clubs.. nrl just owns the finals. Clubs seem lazy as f**k and happy just to take handouts and blame nrl.. no real excuse last night about players available, timeslot, weather.. I get fans disenfranchise, but is any pressure put back on clubs to improve anything...
Tonights sharks bulldogs looks to have been some effort made by the club, and looking like a near sellout.. will we praise the NRL or the club?? shit should cut both ways and clubs pull their fingers out of their arses and actually sell their teams and brand

johnny plath

Juniors
Suspend the NRL for the month of June.
During June:
1. Play 3 state of origin games.
2. At club level play a month long Nines competition (each team playing at least twice a week...triple headers etc) including teams from all of the expansion areas (South Island, Perth, Adelaide, Ipswich etc)
3. Play a womens Nine competition at the same time.
4. Shorten the NRL season by at least 4 weeks.
this is just all fantasy land...no NRL for a month is just ridiculous talk. I agree with the idea of this being the time to take some of the games on the road. It won't impact on tv viewers, crowds will be similar to most games now during this period, and the game promotes more widely.

T-Boon

Coach
Ok. I'll ask...

The f**k is this?

Magic round is the name of the round they have in the super league where every game is played at one venue over the course of a weekend. Gets all the players in one city. The NRL version has been suggested previously for Suncorp.

Valheru

Coach
It will be a glimpse but IMO it won't really show us what a true SOO month (or 3 week period) would look like.

I really think if we give it a standalone period it will only serve to strengthen SOO. It would just be wall to wall info about SOO in the media. You wouldn't have to worry about backing up for clubs or SOO being affected by club games in anyway.

The positive impact it would have on the NRL is immense. I don't want to focus on that though because it's clear the NRL consider SOO to be the only thing that really matters.

I agree and it's really not that hard to work out.

NRL season to go for 24 rounds as opposed to 26 (no bye rounds) plus the eradication of the may rep round and there is your 3 week window for origin without making the season longer in real terms.

15 rounds of NRL where everyone plays each other once and then a 3 week break in June for origin. There could be plenty done with the international game in that window too.

9 week sprint for the NRL to finish the season with every team at full strength throughout the season less injuries.

T-Boon

Coach
The people that were there last night were having a good time. So it's not the product.

True, the hard cores who are going to games (and frequent LU) enjoy the product. But they aren't the ones to ask. You have to ask the punter who says I cannot be bothered going I'll just watch it on TV. The guy who might have been getting to the game in 2005 but isn't now.
Why are you not getting to the ground Norm? Is it the product?
The question I would ask the fans at last nights game is "what changes to the product can we make without losing you?"
If we went to 11 aside and 5 metres would you run for the hills.

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors
General admission sold out for sharks v dogs.

Only single seats left in stands.

What was that about clubs not doing enough?
Its a great effort. But when the next poor crowd happens is it the clubs fault or the nrl...if clubs rightfully take credit for the good surely they have to wear some shit for the bad.

Melbourne and Adelaide both central walking distance stadia.

Not sure about Perth or Fabba/Suncorp but seem to do alright and seem to be centrally located.

Sydney - from Manly, parra, Penrith, Campbelltown, Wollongong, Cronulla and SFS... multiple trains buses, no walking, shit traffic.

$30 GA who wouldn't stay home ???

El Diablo

Post Whore
Point?

For the last 5 years it has been repeated at least 905000 times that anz is a shit venue and 905000 times the likes of Cumberland Toss have whinged about crowds at the venue.
the worst thing is that this is the only topic he posts in and he has never been to a game in his life

hutch

First Grade
f**k me. Where was the game played last night?

ANZ.

How many times do we have to discuss that this venue doesn’t and won't attract crowds.

Crowds at anz are bigger than the clubs suburban grounds though. Yes, it's a terrible stadium, yes empty seats are a bad look. Hopefully when it is reconfigured it can be the answer.

T-Boon

Coach
The Sydney suburban crowds are small and ugly and the ANZ crowds are almost as small.
Lets get more games out of Sydney. You can do this by having double and triple headers and, a bit further along the radical spectrum, relocate a few teams.

Latest posts