What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Roosters/cowboys getting sub 10k is typical roosters a top 4 team and still cant draw a crowd when successful. No excuses for such a poor crowd on 7.30pm Saturday. Roosters should take majority of there games elsewhere if they cant draw after constant success. 100 plus years and still sub 10k crowds.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Todd should be pulling in nine and fox now and tell them Thursday needs to be reduced to 12 weeks of the year .. f**k off the 6pm Friday game ..

The tv deal doesn't have the times locked in stone .. both parties can change things based on results

Perth Red

Post Whore
A one team state/city regardless of what other codes is nearby has it easier than any NRL team in Sydney.
There is no direct NRL competition in Melbourne.
It is ridiculous to suggest AFL makes them worse off.
Every NRL team has rival codes nearby
Only Sydney teams have a direct NRL competitor to compete with their crowds.

You seem to be putting forward a good argument for reducing the number of Sydney teams!

carcharias

Immortal
You seem to be putting forward a good argument for reducing the number of Sydney teams!

Same goes for Perth
You had the chance with overwhelming advantages to little Sydney clubs.
Yet you failed.
...and you continue to confirm that nobody in WA gives much of a shit about the game.
Why waste money going back there I say?

After 20 years in Victoria with all the success they've had I'd suggest that not many people give a shit about rugby league there either.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Bulldogs V Parra 15,000
Dragons V Souths 10,000
Cowboys V Storm 20,000
Knights V Warriors 12,000
Titans V Broncos 20,000
Sharks V Raiders 15,000
Manly V Roosters 14,000
Penrith V Tigers 18,000

Jamberoo

Juniors
Same goes for Perth
Yet you failed.
...and you continue to confirm that nobody in WA gives much of a shit about the game.

After 20 years in Victoria with all the success they've had I'd suggest that not many people give a shit about rugby league there either.
You are right there. After 20 years all the ex-pats from NSW, Qld, NZ, UK, etc and their families are now rusted on Storm fans, but I am yet to come across anyone (Molly Meldrum would be an exception) without an interstate/OS connection. Despite the awesome stadium, crowds since 1998 have grown slower than Melbourne's population growth.
The most interest amongst Melbournians for the Storm was the night of the first game - there was a real buzz around town (unfortunately it was a sell-out by the time we got there). Even when I have had spare tickets, I have not once been able to get any mates other than my dad (NSW) or brother in law (UK) to come with me. Storm crowds look good in comparison to Sydney clubs because of the attendance culture here. Pretty much everyone I know goes to watch their AFL or A-League club regularly. The Storm fans I know go most weeks. But there is zero interest from the general public. No sports fan here will ever give up on their AFL team, so that will never change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Same goes for Perth
Yet you failed.

Sounds like your advocating giving up and closing the game down?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are right there. After 20 years all the ex-pats from NSW, Qld, NZ, UK, etc and their families are now rusted on Storm fans, but I am yet to come across anyone (Molly Meldrum would be an exception) without an interstate/OS connection. Despite the awesome stadium, crowds since 1998 have grown slower than Melbourne's population growth.
The most interest amongst Melbournians for the Storm was the night of the first game - there was a real buzz around town (unfortunately it was a sell-out by the time we got there). Even when I have had spare tickets, I have not once been able to get any mates other than my dad (NSW) or brother in law (UK) to come with me. Storm crowds look good in comparison to Sydney clubs because of the attendance culture here. Pretty much everyone I know goes to watch their AFL or A-League club regularly. The Storm fans I know go most weeks. But there is zero interest from the general public. No sports fan here will ever give up on their AFL team, so that will never change.

Melbourne TV audiences for big games seem to be good and Storms crowd has gone from 9k to 19k in less than two decades. Clearly some more people are becoming interested in RL in Melbourne? Now if the NRL had the ability of the AFL to embed itself in a hostile environment they would probably be doing much better. Look at how much of a leg up AFL gives Swans and more recently GWS and how much they have invested in general AFL presence in Sydney compared to the NRL efforts they have put into Melbourne.

T-Boon

Coach

That might be because they play the most diabolical brand of rugby league the game has ever seen. It is disgusting. I cannot watch Storm even when my team is playing them. They are the living epitome of everything VFL fans have ever said they hate about rugby league. Total borefest.
The good news is when Bellamy goes and we make some rule changes the club might attract some new fans.

carcharias

Immortal
Sounds like your advocating giving up and closing the game down?
I'm just being honest and realistic.
It's not actually a very popular game outside of NSW and QLD.
People have their sports already.
How long have the swans been in Sydney?
I couldn't name one player.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm just being honest and realistic.
It's not actually a very popular game outside of NSW and QLD.
People have their sports already.
How long have the swans been in Sydney?
I couldn't name one player.

You're right it isn't, but you are making the assumption that as it has never been popular (mainly because no one has regularly seen it and the game is shthouse at marketing itself!) that it never will be. Storm have grown their fanbase nicely on the back of a great team and a great stadium and being a one city club. Sure it would be nice if they had Sydney Swans numbers but reality is NRL just isn't that popular, at home or elsewhere. Something the commission really need to get to grips with and improve.

Imagine Maccas in the 60's board meeting:
"I think we should expand our burger franchises to overseas"
Carch-"oh no, people like curry and rice and fish and chips in those countries, they'll never embrace hamburgers"

If they'd listened to you they wouldn't have 20,000 spots in 100 countries

carcharias

Immortal
You're right it isn't, but you are making the assumption that as it has never been popular (mainly because no one has regularly seen it and the game is shthouse at marketing itself!) that it never will be. Storm have grown their fanbase nicely on the back of a great team and a great stadium and being a one city club. Sure it would be nice if they had Sydney Swans numbers but reality is NRL just isn't that popular, at home or elsewhere. Something the commission really need to get to grips with and improve.

Imagine Maccas in the 60's board meeting:
"I think we should expand our burger franchises to overseas"
Carch-"oh no, people like curry and rice and fish and chips in those countries, they'll never embrace hamburgers"

If they'd listened to you they wouldn't have 20,000 spots in 100 countries

20 years in Victoria
The vic's still don't give a shit.

Maybe you should tell them to rename themselves to McStorm?

Perth Red

Post Whore
20 years in Victoria
The vic's still don't give a shit.

Maybe you should tell them to rename themselves to McStorm?

How do you quantify "giving a sht"?
Crowds - third best supported club in NRL.
Members in top 5 supported clubs.
Origin record crowds,
TV audiences for SOO and GF 350kplus,
One of most watched team on Foxsports

AS I said in comparison to Swans they aren't pulling up trees but given what's been invested in the game in Melbourne compared to AFL's Sydney investment I'd say they are going ok wouldn't you?

carcharias

Immortal
How do you quantify "giving a sht"?
Crowds - third best supported club in NRL.
Members in top 5 supported clubs.
Origin record crowds,
TV audiences for SOO and GF 350kplus,
One of most watched team on Foxsports

AS I said in comparison to Swans they aren't pulling up trees but given what's been invested in the game in Melbourne compared to AFL's Sydney investment I'd say they are going ok wouldn't you?

Ask an actual Victorian how much notice they take of the storm
Oh
Wait
look up a couple of posts

TV audiences???
haha
Woopdif**kindoo
That does nothing for crowds
Origin crowds are full of inter state people that would never attend a storm club game.

One state team in the biggest sports crazy city in the country with arguably the most famous sports ground in Australia.

They should be first by a long way in all aspects.

Latest posts