What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Mister M

Juniors
My mistake, I thought Victorians got the same Fox channels in their sport subscriptions as the rest of the country . . . that's a bummer

Subscription television accounts for only 27% of the population, so you can't rely on having games on pay-tv to grow the fan bases of clubs in non-heartland areas as effectively as Free to Air television would.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Average Melbourne crowd in 2000 was 14,662, in 2010 (last year at old stadium) it was 14,670. This year so far it is 16,578. So a 12% increase over 17 seasons. Melbourne's population has grown 27% in that time. Now much of that growth is immigration, so I am not saying they are going backwards, but there are no new fans. It is a crying shame, but unlikely to ever change.

Bit selective, they have been on a reasonable growth pattern for just over two decades from a low of 8,900ish in 2005 to 18k last year and doing pretty good this year. How can say there is not a growth trajectory? If you plot the crowd avg on a graph you will clearly see an overall growth pattern. Hopefully its just a matter of time before the 20k avg ceiling is broken. I can see it happening a lot sooner than at many clubs.

http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/melbourne.html

OzDragon

Coach
Bulldogs V Eels 12K
Dragons V Souths 14K
Cowboys V Storm 19K
Knights V Warriors 14K
Titans V Broncos 21K
Sharks V Raiders 16K
Manly V Roosters 14K
Penrith V Tigers 18K

Should go close to averaging 16K
Dragons / Souffs won't get 14k.

Lucky to get 11k imo. Shit time slot and horrible ground (despite its historical significance) to watch footy at.

carcharias

Immortal
Good afternoon, sir. Victorian born and bred here, grew up with the Bombers and started following league in my 20s. No particular reason why, just wanted to broaden my horizons.

I have plenty of friends and colleagues who take more than a passing interest in the Storm, though generally second to the AFL team they've been following since primary school. I am probably the odd one out here, but have never thought it was all that strange to follow (and enjoy) two or three different sports at the same time. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety!

Do you follow two different AFL teams passionately enough to go to both teams games?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm just saying there should be a lot more storm fans .
...and what you say about ex pats being fans is what I suspect the case would be in WA as well.

Again why SHOULD there be? They are in a AFL city, it will take decades to grow many thousands more committed fans. You should know, your clubs had 5 decades and despite being in NRL heartland still has sub 15k avg's. The advantage of being a one club big city is counterbalanced by being non RL exposed historically. The great thing about history is it is in the past and now sports fans in Melbourne have an opportunity to get into RL now an din the future. It seems from the growth patterns for tv and storm and grass roots numbers that it is slowly but surely happening. All rejoice for expansion of RL!

POPEYE

Coach
Subscription television accounts for only 27% of the population, so you can't rely on having games on pay-tv to grow the fan bases of clubs in non-heartland areas as effectively as Free to Air television would.
I feel sorry for people who don't have Fox . . . I'm out

carcharias

Immortal
Again why SHOULD there be? They are in a AFL city, it will take decades to grow many thousands more committed fans. You should know, your clubs had 5 decades and despite being in NRL heartland still has sub 15k avg's. The advantage of being a one club big city is counterbalanced by being non RL exposed historically. The great thing about history is it is in the past and now sports fans in Melbourne have an opportunity to get into RL now an din the future. It seems from the growth patterns for tv and storm and grass roots numbers that it is slowly but surely happening. All rejoice for expansion of RL!

Ey look at you.
Well done
You've finally twigged than just because you bung a team into any old joint doesn't mean anyone will pay to go watch them.

It is not slowly happening at all.
Read the posts from the Melbourne fans in here.
They admit that the club depends on out of state fans for support....still.
Surely that was not the plan.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ey look at you.
Well done
You've finally twigged than just because you bung a team into any old joint doesn't mean anyone will pay to go watch them.

It is not slowly happening at all.
Read the posts from the Melbourne fans in here.
They admit that the club depends on out of state fans for support....still.
Surely that was not the plan.

anyone no, but someone? Yes indeed. Get enough someone's and suddenly we have a team that is dragging the NRL avg up not down and is financially able to hold its own.

They are opinions, and clearly mixed given one person has said no ones interested and two have said plenty are. The FACTS would also back up that the numbers of those interested people in Victoria are increasing.
I've been surprised at the water cooler talk in the office about NRL and especially SOO coming here, no where near as much animosity to RL as I thought there would be from AFL fans. It seems it is mostly RL fans with a chip on their shoulder.
All rejoice RL growth!

I don't think the NRL really cares how many of the 19k avg crowd or the 400k TV audience for GF's are born in Melbourne or elsewhere, why would they? Start with your existing foundation base and build on it. Like I said I can see the Storm cracking 20k crowd avg before 75% of the heartland clubs if their current trajectory is maintained.

The afl was relentless in growing the code in qld/nsw no matter what and they reap the benefits meanwhile the nrl let the non-heartland teams fight for themselves and then cut them straight away at the first sign of trouble eg Perth/adelaide.

if afl had the nrl mindset when swans/lions were nearly gone they would of cut them instead they back them in hard times and got rewarded. To think qld/nsw are more favorable to other codes than the 'sporting capital'.

I see storm gettimg to 20k average eventually compared to heartland teams within time, just need constant promotion/marketing like afl in qld.

carcharias

Immortal
anyone no, but someone? Yes indeed. Get enough someone's and suddenly we have a team that is dragging the NRL avg up not down and is financially able to hold its own.

They are opinions, and clearly mixed given one person has said no ones interested and two have said plenty are. The FACTS would also back up that the numbers of those interested people in Victoria are increasing.
I've been surprised at the water cooler talk in the office about NRL and especially SOO coming here, no where near as much animosity to RL as I thought there would be from AFL fans. It seems it is mostly RL fans with a chip on their shoulder.
All rejoice RL growth!

I don't think the NRL really cares how many of the 19k avg crowd or the 400k TV audience for GF's are born in Melbourne or elsewhere, why would they? Start with your existing foundation base and build on it. Like I said I can see the Storm cracking 20k crowd avg before 75% of the heartland clubs if their current trajectory is maintained.

How much will it cost the NRL to get a single WA team to 20k avg and how long?

I think your trajectory talk is nice and all.... but they probably think it's a waste.
Rugby league is not as popular as you imagine.
People think it is violent shit supported by dumb bogans.

carcharias

Immortal
The afl was relentless in growing the code in qld/nsw no matter what and they reap the benefits meanwhile the nrl let the non-heartland teams fight for themselves and then cut them straight away at the first sign of trouble eg Perth/adelaide.

if afl had the nrl mindset when swans/lions were nearly gone they would of cut them instead they back them in hard times and got rewarded. To think qld/nsw are more favorable to other codes than the 'sporting capital'.

I see storm gettimg to 20k average eventually compared to heartland teams within time, just need constant promotion/marketing like afl in qld.
Were they?
I was not approached ever by any AFL rep trying to get me into it.
Not one of my mates follow it
I think I know 2 people who follow the swans
One might go to a game here and there ( he is very old and probably from Victoria)
The other ??? Never goes.

BuffaloRules

Coach

I'm assuming you weren't alive during the Super League War 1995-1997?

Such naivety..

Latest posts