What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not being on the "main" channel isn't that big a deal for mine, it's one button on a remote. My biggest gripe is that it's not in HD on the freeview channels.

It is a big deal, in Perth it's worth about 50-100k viewers. It's amazing how few people flick to digital channels

Greenstar5

Juniors
It is a big deal, in Perth it's worth about 50-100k viewers. It's amazing how few people flick to digital channels

Agreed.

Not being on the "main" channel isn't that big a deal for mine, it's one button on a remote. My biggest gripe is that it's not in HD on the freeview channels.

It is a massive deal to the general public. Tonight in Melbourne. AFL on main 7 channel. Wallabies on main 10 channel. NRL on GEM. Will anyone even know it is there? Remember we are talking about people in Victoria that proably have not a clue about RL. There the people you want to change from non viewers to casual viewers to regular viewers to fans to members.

Tonights AFL final doesn't include a Vic team. Imagine an awesome Storm win this arvo followed by the news straight into Manly Penrith.

Mister M

Juniors
What I dont understand is why are the games are still shown on GEM into non traditional RL states.

Take last night for an example.
AFL had 2 Vic sides 95k at the MCG, but the game was a bit meh, a blow out by 50 points. I wouldn't call it a great game of AFL.

The NRL gets 21k but wow what a cracking game. End to end, came down to almost jimmy the jet scoring on the final play.

Say we are a neutral fan in Melbourne watching the AFL, the game isnt the best, why the hell is the NRL hiding on a secondary channel? People might flick over last night and see a great game and be like this NRL is pretty good. Then maybe today they flick on the TV to watch the Storm play.

Thats 1 way we grow the game.

Greenstar5, what criteria are you using to define the AFL game as 'a bit meh' last night? If your only using the final scoreline it is an accurate representation of the game. As someone who was in attendance of at the Geelong/Richmond game last night; I'll admit that it wasn't the highest quality of AFL I've seen all year, but it's not a game that I can imagine the 'average' neutral fan in Melbourne would've been flicking channels away from early enough to catch any of the NRL game.

Midway through the 3rd quarter the scores were level and at 3/4 time Richmond were only leading by 13 points, which is a small margin considering Richmond's history of losing against Geelong (their last 15 encounters) and their finals record (hadn't won a final since 2001). By 3/4 time in the AFL the NRL game had already finished; I checked the final NRL score on my phone during that break.

So despite you having a great point and I agree with you that their should be improved coverage in non-traditional states, I'm not sure if you've used a great example to demonstrate it as their wouldn't have been many neutrals that would've flicked over last night.

The number one way to increase NRL television viewership in Melbourne is by having them on Free to Air TV more often. In Sydney both GWS & the Swans are on FTA TV every week, yet the Storm are on FTA only 8 times during the H&A season. When you look at the 13 games the Storm played outside of Melbourne 8/13 games were only available on Foxtel. That's about 36% of the Storm's games this season that people in Melbourne would require Foxtel to follow their team, that percentage is too high in a non-traditional state.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
We were missing gal and then wade graham got knocked out
Then prior ran through you blokes
It was a masterclass in rugby league
Total toughness
Plus there was the clap
That was a different masterclass

The GF was end to end
Blokes were out on their fee but just throwing themselves at each other.
You must have been drunk and crying ... the tears blurred your vision.

You sent every one who doesn't follow the sharks .. aka.. nearly everyone
to sleep ; )

No
Your missus does ; )
You called them sheep f**kers and you are fully supportive of them. Says a lot about your morality. Maybe by sheep you mean you and the other circle jerkers who blindly support the incompetent admin. Anyone who makes excuses for a 21,000 crowd at a finals game between teams two and three when they got 35,000 20 years ago obviously has a hard on for someone at NRLHQ. Get yourself a sheep suit.

Pretty sure family related abuse is against the forum rules but of course nothing will be done about that.

hutch

First Grade
Week 1 semis in Sydney:

2016 - Penrith v bulldogs 22k
2015 - roosters v Melbourne 20.5k
Cronulla v Souths 27k
2014 - manly v Souths 25.7k
Roosters v Penrith 23k
2013 - Souths v Melbourne 21.6k
Cronulla v cowboys, manly v roosters 32k (double header)
Bulldogs v Newcastle 23k

Last nights crowd wasn't that bad compared to previous years. Even in 2005 which was the nrl' best ever year for crowds the 3 games in Sydney in week 1 got 26k, 19k & 19k although the two smaller crowds were at suburban grounds.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You called them sheep f**kers and you are fully supportive of them. Says a lot about your morality. Maybe by sheep you mean you and the other circle jerkers who blindly support the incompetent admin. Anyone who makes excuses for a 21,000 crowd at a finals game between teams two and three when they got 35,000 20 years ago obviously has a hard on for someone at NRLHQ. Get yourself a sheep suit.

Pretty sure family related abuse is against the forum rules but of course nothing will be done about that.

I don't make judgements on anyones morality including your missus's sheep fetish pal
each to their own I say ..
make a complaint if I was a bit too close to the mark : )
F knows you have no issue complaining about everything else around here

as for your ludcrious angle on crowds now & the mid 90's
your tendency to give practical examples of knowing shit all about everything is quite breathtaking

well done ...

Greenstar5

Juniors
Greenstar5, what criteria are you using to define the AFL game as 'a bit meh' last night? If your only using the final scoreline it is an accurate representation of the game. As someone who was in attendance of at the Geelong/Richmond game last night; I'll admit that it wasn't the highest quality of AFL I've seen all year, but it's not a game that I can imagine the 'average' neutral fan in Melbourne would've been flicking channels away from early enough to catch any of the NRL game.

Midway through the 3rd quarter the scores were level and at 3/4 time Richmond were only leading by 13 points, which is a small margin considering Richmond's history of losing against Geelong (their last 15 encounters) and their finals record (hadn't won a final since 2001). By 3/4 time in the AFL the NRL game had already finished; I checked the final NRL score on my phone during that break.

So despite you having a great point and I agree with you that their should be improved coverage in non-traditional states, I'm not sure if you've used a great example to demonstrate it as their wouldn't have been many neutrals that would've flicked over last night.

The number one way to increase NRL television viewership in Melbourne is by having them on Free to Air TV more often. In Sydney both GWS & the Swans are on FTA TV every week, yet the Storm are on FTA only 8 times during the H&A season. When you look at the 13 games the Storm played outside of Melbourne 8/13 games were only available on Foxtel. That's about 36% of the Storm's games this season that people in Melbourne would require Foxtel to follow their team, that percentage is too high in a non-traditional state.

I my opinion I thought the game was average last night. Skills seem sloppy, a lot of behinds kicked, very congested, a lot of ball ups.
So was the Thursday night final. Weather didnt help.
The pressure Richmond appiled was first class.

Im just trying to say the NRL being on GEM isnt helping the game. Go head to head against the AFL in Melbourne.

big hit!

Bench
It won't happen. Kick off is suppose to be 7:50. How many families want to be at the ground till past 10pm and get home around midnight? I'd rather have two games at the same time/overlap in the afternoon so the kids can go at a reasonable hour and we can make a nice day of it in the city. In saying that mine are going but it has to have an effect.

that's right.....suppose to be 7:50. ends up being 8 - 8:05pm. they've got to fix that shit up. advertise a start time, then stick to it. the NRL are happy to let it go, because 9 want to extend the prime-time coverage as close to 10:30pm as possible.

sat night matches should begin at 7:20pm sharp! get the coverage beginning on C9 at 7pm. that still gives them a shitload of time to give us dressing room / warm up footage, and the commentators talking about shit pre-game.

the NRL fan base are now happy to watch their team play finals on the tele. a f**ked state of affairs.

carcharias

Immortal
You sent every one who doesn't follow the sharks .. aka.. nearly everyone
to sleep ; )

Well that's bullshit
But even if it wasn't ...do you think us sharks fans gave a flying f**k how sleepy loser raiders fans were?

And you don't use aka in that way you dopey ute driving , Aldi bourbon drinking , clap stealing , non semi playing, sharks fan wannabe.

I don't make judgements on anyones morality including your missus's sheep fetish pal
each to their own I say ..
make a complaint if I was a bit too close to the mark : )
F knows you have no issue complaining about everything else around here

as for your ludcrious angle on crowds now & the mid 90's
your tendency to give practical examples of knowing shit all about everything is quite breathtaking

well done ...
You called the ARLC sheep f**kers. And you support them.

Like I said get a sheep suit. It's obviously what you want.

Week 1 semis in Sydney:

2016 - Penrith v bulldogs 22k
2015 - roosters v Melbourne 20.5k
Cronulla v Souths 27k
2014 - manly v Souths 25.7k
Roosters v Penrith 23k
2013 - Souths v Melbourne 21.6k
Cronulla v cowboys, manly v roosters 32k (double header)
Bulldogs v Newcastle 23k

Last nights crowd wasn't that bad compared to previous years. Even in 2005 which was the nrl' best ever year for crowds the 3 games in Sydney in week 1 got 26k, 19k & 19k although the two smaller crowds were at suburban grounds.
Who was running the game in those years?

I'll accept Raidersdave's sheep fetish f**kboys as an answer.

big hit!

Bench
What I dont understand is why are the games are still shown on GEM into non traditional RL states.

Take last night for an example.
AFL had 2 Vic sides 95k at the MCG, but the game was a bit meh, a blow out by 50 points. I wouldn't call it a great game of AFL.

The NRL gets 21k but wow what a cracking game. End to end, came down to almost jimmy the jet scoring on the final play.

Say we are a neutral fan in Melbourne watching the AFL, the game isnt the best, why the hell is the NRL hiding on a secondary channel? People might flick over last night and see a great game and be like this NRL is pretty good. Then maybe today they flick on the TV to watch the Storm play.

Thats 1 way we grow the game.

the AFL is on 7 mate up here too, mate. giants final on thursday night was on the main channel which is rare for anything other than the GF these days. i assume the swans final will be on the main channel too then.

interesting to see what channel the storm final will on down there. you can't say League gets a raw deal though. origin is on the main channel on wednesday nights

Raiderdave

First Grade
looking at how things could end up in the coming 3 weeks & if they get the venues right
we could get an aggregate of between 340 & 350K for the series
well up on 2016 & , right up there among the highest totals for any final series & very good considering they'll only be one final in Brisbane.

so much for a crisis

Canard

Immortal
Agreed.

It is a massive deal to the general public. Tonight in Melbourne. AFL on main 7 channel. Wallabies on main 10 channel. NRL on GEM. Will anyone even know it is there? Remember we are talking about people in Victoria that proably have not a clue about RL. There the people you want to change from non viewers to casual viewers to regular viewers to fans to members.

Tonights AFL final doesn't include a Vic team. Imagine an awesome Storm win this arvo followed by the news straight into Manly Penrith.

Remembering there was no live FTA nor Pay TV coverage of several games in Melbourne only a few seasons ago I'm grateful for any TV.

Aussie Rules is on the secondary channels in QLD and NSW isn't it??

King Ben

Juniors
I just read that a late run of ticket sales for Sunday's semi final has the Nrl predicting a crowd of over 20k now.
"Hey Buzz it's Todd. It's Wednesday and ticket sales are slow. Have you got that article ready? Great. Say there's 4,000 sold. That'll get everyone buying tickets. Thanks!"

Billythekid

First Grade
the AFL is on 7 mate up here too, mate. giants final on thursday night was on the main channel which is rare for anything other than the GF these days. i assume the swans final will be on the main channel too then.

interesting to see what channel the storm final will on down there. you can't say League gets a raw deal though. origin is on the main channel on wednesday nights

Origin is also one of the highest rating TV programs of the year and rates decently even in the non RL states.

looking at how things could end up in the coming 3 weeks & if they get the venues right
we could get an aggregate of between 340 & 350K for the series
well up on 2016 & , right up there among the highest totals for any final series & very good considering they'll only be one final in Brisbane.

so much for a crisis

I don't think the finals crowds this year will end up being bad. It's just after the way crowds have been this year it makes the average finals crowds stand out more.

Having said that it's not like historically finals crowds or Sydney finals crowds have been all that impressive so matching them isn't a huge achievement.