What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

taipan

Referee
Seven is doing the same with the AFL in NSW and QLD. Only Sydney and GWS games on main channel in NSW rest on 7mate.

The AFL put $10 million into Carrara too (not to mention it being the centrepiece of the Gold Coasts Commonwealth games bid).

The Carrara stadium is hardly multiuse Wookie.They also get the benefit of far cheaper rental than the Titans ,due to the money put in.
And where do you think the 7s is going to be played?

As Roy Masters has stated in the past,whilst the AFL: publicly brag about their contribution to new stadium, it is minuscule in comparisons to the billions Govts have spent spent on the likes of Perth/Adelaide/MCG/SCG/Spotless/Carrara/Gabba.Something they never admit.

I got a brand new Merc to drive each year, all I have to pay for is petrol ,is an analogy.

Sydney has not had a decent rectangular stadium built for decades since the SFS.And that melad is used for 3 football codes, not one in the case of AFL:SCG/Spotless/Carrara etc.

I will say this when it comes to spin,the AFL are past masters, it's a pity our mob the NRL are so backward in that regard.

I am fully aware of what sport AFL/NRL channels are on.

My point is with 36 years of existence in Sydney with all the money splashed around by the AFL in promo and marketing, the TV ratings are still very average in this city.Yet the Storm who have had SFA NRL support on marketing can rustle up decent TV ratings in an AFL mad city for just over half(20 years).

Bear in mind many AFL fans judging by comments in the Vic press, stated the Storm would be lucky to average 5,000 at best in attendances.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Gee there's some romanticising of the past going on. A Bulldogs Roosters W1 final (4th v 5th if I recall) in 1999 only got 23.5k.

It's not new, it's not a crisis, it's just a middling ordinary crowd.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Origin is also one of the highest rating TV programs of the year and rates decently even in the non RL states.

I don't think the finals crowds this year will end up being bad. It's just after the way crowds have been this year it makes the average finals crowds stand out more.

Having said that it's not like historically finals crowds or Sydney finals crowds have been all that impressive so matching them isn't a huge achievement.

why do they stand out more ?
If youre saying because its just a continuation of the poor season we're having , then
if we were at record average attendance levels of around 16500 like we were in 2005 & 2012 & had finals week one attendances like we probably will this weekend , then we should have been a lot more dissapointed then I'd think ??

2005 week one finals approx 90K
2012 week one finals approx 100K
2017 week one finals approx 88K

based on that above
there is no finals crowd crisis

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
so my path to the GF & crowds

Melb V Parra , with a Storm win 22,000
Manly V Penrith with an eagles win 22,000
Sharks V Cowboys with a Sharks win 22,000

Friday Broncos V Manly at Suncorp 45,000 broncos to win
Sat Parra V Sharks at ANZ 45,000 Parra to end Sharks title defence

Fri Melb V Broncos at AAMI 30,000 Storm to own Broncos
Sat Roosters v Parra at Allianz 42,000 , at ANZ 60,000 Roosters have the wood on the eels

Melb V Roosters at ANZ 82,000

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
cant see the upper stand behind the camera at AAMI
but the crowd down there is well in excess of 20K already it seems

Emu01

Juniors
Does anyone think some swans fans might walk next door to Alliance stadium after the afl game finishes.

Might boost the crowd numbers somewhat.