What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I think there is merit in keeping games at suburban grounds but I also feel that they need to punch above their weight as far as percentage filled.

There are always mitigating circumstances like form (if the tigers hadn't been belted the week before there would have been at least 1000 more Imo), weather etc that we should keep in mind.

Not to sound like a negative Nancy but rugby league and attending sport in Sydney full stop has never been a huge crowd getter.

There are a lot of reasons for this ranging from things we can fix (the atmosphere at rugby league could be better Imo) and things we can't rugby league is an awesome TV sport, the weather is horrible in Sydney (and Canberra if we want to talk nrl wide) for live sport and we don't have that go at any cost attitude that an afl fan in Melbourne or an epl fan in Liverpool has.

Price plays a factor too. It's ludicrously expensive to live in Sydney. Even folks out in the west are mortgaged up to their eyeballs. A huge chunk of people's income is spent on housing and that takes quite a large bite out of the entertainment budget.

When I was 17/18 living back home but able to drive I used to go to every cessnock goannas game because A) it was a cheap day out with my mates (even accounting for fuel to drive into Newcastle for away days) and there was a charm about it. Also we were right on the action. They were also quite good back then which didn't hurt but it was mostly the fact it cost like a few bucks

Nobody in the world goes hey I know what a cheap day out with my mates is sitting in a soulless concrete block in homebush cheering on a team with no connection to the area.

Price does matter. I'm not suggesting the nrl drop their price to country rugby league prices but for a lot of fans entertainment is a luxury. It really starts adding up with kids. Especially if they buy food.
I agree and really enjoyed reading this post.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Every afl game on tv yet:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/03/26/afl-sets-new-crowd-record/

that's how you set up your round one and build hype for the start of the season. Nrl take not for next year when you control the fixtures!

It's not relevant to NRL so of little interest to me or most on here. You seem somewhat AFL fixated and homoerotic? Is there a connection?

Why would I reply to a post on afl?

Billythekid

First Grade
Not sure what your point is.
AFL get more people to training than NRL get to games
Maybe it's the ease of getting around the joint
Maybe it's the lack of anything else to do in Melbourne.
Maybe it's the cost of going to a game.
Maybe they just like AFL more.

Problem is they didn't just have big crowds in Melbourne. They had big crowds in perth and Adelaide too. They also got 33K in Sydney which the NRL will struggle to get to any game (especially not against an out of state side). Much like their Thursday night game the swans crowd makes a mockery of another common excuse.

AFL is a minor sport in Sydney and regularly pulls big crowds in Sydney. The A league is a tiny sport and it manages big crowds in Sydney. The NRL dwarfs them both and we should be able to pull big crowds like that regularly.

adamkungl

Immortal
umm no, cowboys and knights average more than most sydney teams. The Storm had a higher average last year than most. The Warriors and Titans have had higher averages than most sydney clubs in the past. The Raiders might actually have a decent average this year - 15k, which will be more than most Sydney clubs.

Nonsense. Warriors Titans Raiders Cowboys Knights and Storm are all firmly in the same ballpark as Sydney teams. Up and down between 11 and 17k depending on form.

beave

Coach
Fridays game in Tvl will be pretty ordinary crowd wise. Wonder if 9 would be willing to move it to sunday night? Not sure where the camera and production crews come from but if they drive up from brissy, there's a good chance the roads will be cut from tomorrow for a while..........

carcharias

Immortal
Problem is they didn't just have big crowds in Melbourne. They had big crowds in perth and Adelaide too. They also got 33K in Sydney which the NRL will struggle to get to any game (especially not against an out of state side). Much like their Thursday night game the swans crowd makes a mockery of another common excuse.

AFL is a minor sport in Sydney and regularly pulls big crowds in Sydney. The A league is a tiny sport and it manages big crowds in Sydney. The NRL dwarfs them both and we should be able to pull big crowds like that regularly.

How many soccer teams are there in Sydney?
How many AFL teams?

How many NRL teams?

AFL is not a minor sport in Sydney
They have huge support
More and more kids are playing it every year.
Why wouldn't they?
They know they won't get killed by big islanders.
Soccer is the biggest sport in the country ... as for as participation goes.
My kids play it.
They have over double the players than the league.
The ALeague players come out to training and gala days every year.

The swans came to my kids school last year

Valheru

Coach
I still feel price is one of the biggest issues. $35+ per GA seat for a standard NRL game is just ludicrous plus the extortion like prices for food and drink. If it wasn't for the awesome value of the roosters GA membership I don't now how many games I would go to.

Put it this way, after booze and food and especially if I had kids, I could spend ~$200 to go to a one off game or I could go to watch Southern Districts play on a Saturday afternoon for $15 entry (free for the kids), full strength beer at $5 a pop and decent food prices.

No, I am not comparing the Shute Shield competition with the NRL and I know Rugby Union is the devil spawn here but the point I am making is that the standard NRL prices are ridiculous when compared with other options who although are a small fish in the pond, at least try and engage with their local community to make a decent and affordable game day experience and I know of a number of people in the area who choose it over the NRL which they prefer to watch on TV.

insert.pause

First Grade
The argument from clubs around club funding is that because they have never been properly funded they haven't been able to invest in promotion and game day experience. Let's see what properly funded clubs can do next year to increase attendance.

carcharias

Immortal
I still feel price is one of the biggest issues. $35+ per GA seat for a standard NRL game is just ludicrous plus the extortion like prices for food and drink. If it wasn't for the awesome value of the roosters GA membership I don't now how many games I would go to.

Put it this way, after booze and food and especially if I had kids, I could spend ~$200 to go to a one off game or I could go to watch Southern Districts play on a Saturday afternoon for $15 entry (free for the kids), full strength beer at $5 a pop and decent food prices.

No, I am not comparing the Shute Shield competition with the NRL and I know Rugby Union is the devil spawn here but the point I am making is that the standard NRL prices are ridiculous when compared with other options who although are a small fish in the pond, at least try and engage with their local community to make a decent and affordable game day experience and I know of a number of people in the area who choose it over the NRL which they prefer to watch on TV.
In Sydney
A league prices range from $17.50 to about $29
Afl is $15 to $35

Billythekid

First Grade
If crowds aren't important for making money why are ticket prices so high? If we only want to make money from tv deals then we should want full stadiums. Lower prices at the gate, attract bigger crowds and you end up with a much more exciting to product as well.

On another note are there any contingency plans for the cowboys game? If the cyclone hangs around surely you shouldn't play the match up there.

taipan

Referee
Rain did affect the majority of games up to rd 4 this year.Manly and Tigers whilst they played in fine weather, their hills would have been still damp, hardly encouraging for any families to plonk their backsides.Still disappointing though.
The Swans were in an all seater stadium with no rain.The bulk of their fans are from Eastern subs,Lower Nth Shore and Inner West.They hated going to ANZ distancewise.

The AFL also had a dream start with rigged scheduling opening draw to max crowds e.g. Gnats playing in Adelaide rather than Sydney.

Whilst we have 6 pm starts ,perpetual weekday traffic problems in a widespread (much bigger than Melbourne and not the centralised Stadiums/rail they have)and the TV stations dictating the schedule for TV crowds will continue to be a problem.
Oh and the NRL have no idea how to market the game.

Jamberoo

Juniors
So
In Sydney
A league prices range from $17.50 to about $29
Afl is $15 to $35
Actually cheapest adult GA tickets in Sydney (for their next home game)-
Swans $33
GWS $24
Sydney FC $34
Wanderers $30
Roosters $29
Wests $22
Sharks $26
Bulldogs $25

It varies, but there is no way NRL is priced above other sports.

Here in Melbourne
AFL is $25 (prices vary for seating - e.g. bug MCG games an average seat is $70),
Storm is $24 - only the ends are this price, gets very expensive for decent seats
Victory $28
Melb City $35
Rebels $25

So all pretty similar. Storrn just needs decent timeslots to grow crowds.

beave

Coach
If crowds aren't important for making money why are ticket prices so high? If we only want to make money from tv deals then we should want full stadiums. Lower prices at the gate, attract bigger crowds and you end up with a much more exciting to product as well.

On another note are there any contingency plans for the cowboys game? If the cyclone hangs around surely you shouldn't play the match up there.

There's nothing on at Suncorp this friday...........

adamkungl

Immortal
So

Actually cheapest adult GA tickets in Sydney (for their next home game)-
Swans $33
GWS $24
Sydney FC $34
Wanderers $30
Roosters $29
Wests $22
Sharks $26
Bulldogs $25

It varies, but there is no way NRL is priced above other sports.

Here in Melbourne
AFL is $25 (prices vary for seating - e.g. bug MCG games an average seat is $70),
Storm is $24 - only the ends are this price, gets very expensive for decent seats
Victory $28
Melb City $35
Rebels $25

So all pretty similar. Storrn just needs decent timeslots to grow crowds.

Problem is:
Roosters are priced similarly to Swans in the stadium next door. Even a few dollars cheaper!
BUT
The Swans justify that price by selling most of the seats in their stadium.
Roosters typically sell around 25% of the stadium.

I'd like to see even 1 club just take on the risk for a season and do whatever it takes to fill the stadium.
Sell $100 full season memberships.
Cut out the premium ticket prices except for the season ticket holders, make the whole joint GA for $15 a ticket.
Get players and free tickets out to local schools.
Organise cheap transport options with the government.
Advertise the shit out of it.
Build that culture of attendance and then start raising the price.

insert.pause

First Grade
Problem is:
Roosters are priced similarly to Swans in the stadium next door. Even a few dollars cheaper!
BUT
The Swans justify that price by selling most of the seats in their stadium.
Roosters typically sell around 25% of the stadium.

I'd like to see even 1 club just take on the risk for a season and do whatever it takes to fill the stadium.
Sell $100 full season memberships.
Cut out the premium ticket prices except for the season ticket holders, make the whole joint GA for $15 a ticket.
Get players and free tickets out to local schools.
Organise cheap transport options with the government.
Advertise the shit out of it.
Build that culture of attendance and then start raising the price.
They could do it, but the game lost its courage in super league.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mind you, it's hard for a club to justify making the effort when the NRL shafts them on scheduling before the season even starts.
No amount of free tickets will make Thursday night @ ANZ appealing.

Would love to see the AFL pull 70k on a Thursday if their marquee stadium was out the back of Tullamarine instead of a short walk from Fed square

Latest posts