What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

moffla

Bench
That 12k on telly today made me go "shit - if storm play at Leichart on a Sunday arvo again I might just fly up!" Because it looked awesome to be at.

Like I said the other night, I can barely watch a game that's played at ANZ any more.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Oh well if they can't pack out Leichhardt Oval anymore on a fine Sunday then it's bye bye Leichhardt.

Perth awaits.

Hey Brutus old mate...

Are you aware that the Tigers got the biggest Sydney crowd average last year after they finished 9th?

Clifferd

Coach
Watching the highlights it looked
More than 12.5k at leicharddt

Oh well, team is a basket case and would've had literally no away support

j5o6hn

Juniors
When I first went to Sydney I went to the Sports Ground watch Easts play not sure who the played, the ground was rubbish,there were better WAFL grounds in Perth & from what I have seen on TV the Suburban grounds are still crap.
NIB or Perth Oval as it used to be is a good sized ground, holding about 20,000 mostly seated when Souths play, Sydney clubs apparently have no control over their grounds & it shows people dont want to go get wet or fried in the sun.
God help them they like comfort its not 1960 any more as regards grounds I understand Sydney is a nightmare to get around I used to travel in from Scofields to the City for work,I would never drive in madness to do so I live in Sydney for 28yrs
The AFL uses 1 ground in Perth,1 in SA 3or4 in Melb 2 in Sydney 2 in QLD NRL uses ?

adamkungl

Immortal
Clearly the answer for sydney is play games at grounds, you couldn't call it a stadium, that hold around 17k so 12k looks ok.

God knows what the answer is in Sydney, seems it doesn't matter where, when or in what weather the game struggles to crack a decent turn out. Hard to see this mob running the game having the answer, hopefully weather picks up and the non Sydney teams carry the avg so we at least dont drop below 15k by season end.

There a lot of hope riding on the new parra stadium and a redesigned anz creating somewhere decent to watch the game and the nrl actually using its scheduling ability next year to play the biggest games at the best times.

Broncos are the only team that manages to average above Sydney teams

mongoose

Coach
Broncos are the only team that manages to average above Sydney teams

umm no, cowboys and knights average more than most sydney teams. The Storm had a higher average last year than most. The Warriors and Titans have had higher averages than most sydney clubs in the past. The Raiders might actually have a decent average this year - 15k, which will be more than most Sydney clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing's going to bring in a perth team any faster,that boat has sailed. But back to the thread topic, attendances.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
In other other breaking news
Rugby league will never fill stadiums in this country .

You can play games in as many as you like but people will not go.
It's on TV
Every game
Every minute live.

There is no incentive to go to watch a game in a stadium in Sydney for the majority of teams fans.

Every afl game on tv yet:

A total of 400,401 attended round one, easily passing the previous record of 371,212 set in round 15, 2013.

ROUND ONE CROWDS
73,137 at MCG to watch Richmond beat Carlton
66,254 at MCG to watch Bulldogs beat Collingwood
36,249 at Etihad Stadium to watch Melbourne beat St Kilda
33,129 at SCG to watch Port Adelaide beat Sydney
78,294 at MCG to watch Essendon beat Hawthorn
12,710 at Metricon Stadium to watch Brisbane beat Gold Coast
21,997 at Etihad Stadium to watch West Coast beat North Melbourne
43,993 at Adelaide Oval to watch Adelaide beat GWS
34,638 at Domain Stadium to watch Geelong beat Fremantle

TOTAL: 400,401

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/03/26/afl-sets-new-crowd-record/

that's how you set up your round one and build hype for the start of the season. Nrl take not for next year when you control the fixtures!

Brutus

Referee
Hey Brutus old mate...

Are you aware that the Tigers got the biggest Sydney crowd average last year after they finished 9th?

Just stirring, but I did expect a packed out Leichhardt yesterday.

People don't seem like those blue seats on the hills side. I've never seen them fully occupied.

carcharias

Immortal
Every afl game on tv yet:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/03/26/afl-sets-new-crowd-record/

that's how you set up your round one and build hype for the start of the season. Nrl take not for next year when you control the fixtures!
Not sure what your point is.
AFL get more people to training than NRL get to games
Maybe it's the ease of getting around the joint
Maybe it's the lack of anything else to do in Melbourne.
Maybe it's the cost of going to a game.
Maybe they just like AFL more.

That is not going to change the fact that a good crowd on a sunny Sunday arvo at Leichhardt looks so much better on TV than a more than 3/4 empty stadium on a Friday night.

I still wouldn't go there though.
It's just too much of a pain to get to and home from.
Public transport would be hilarious.
Bus train ferry then an uber/taxi
Or bus train light rail?? Uber or taxi
It'd cost me about $100 just to get my family to the ground.
I'd have to drive
Then walk 17 kms

mave

Coach
Just stirring, but I did expect a packed out Leichhardt yesterday.

People don't seem like those blue seats on the hills side. I've never seen them fully occupied.

Last time we went there we got kicked out of those seats as they aren't GA seats.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Kogarah is the biggest myth in Rugby League. Dragons fans whinge they don't have enough games there but don't show up to the games that are there.

It's very rarely close to full.

Wollongong got over 16K in the exact same timeslot 2 weeks ago.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think there is merit in keeping games at suburban grounds but I also feel that they need to punch above their weight as far as percentage filled.

There are always mitigating circumstances like form (if the tigers hadn't been belted the week before there would have been at least 1000 more Imo), weather etc that we should keep in mind.

Not to sound like a negative Nancy but rugby league and attending sport in Sydney full stop has never been a huge crowd getter.

There are a lot of reasons for this ranging from things we can fix (the atmosphere at rugby league could be better Imo) and things we can't rugby league is an awesome TV sport, the weather is horrible in Sydney (and Canberra if we want to talk nrl wide) for live sport and we don't have that go at any cost attitude that an afl fan in Melbourne or an epl fan in Liverpool has.

Price plays a factor too. It's ludicrously expensive to live in Sydney. Even folks out in the west are mortgaged up to their eyeballs. A huge chunk of people's income is spent on housing and that takes quite a large bite out of the entertainment budget.

When I was 17/18 living back home but able to drive I used to go to every cessnock goannas game because A) it was a cheap day out with my mates (even accounting for fuel to drive into Newcastle for away days) and there was a charm about it. Also we were right on the action. They were also quite good back then which didn't hurt but it was mostly the fact it cost like a few bucks

Nobody in the world goes hey I know what a cheap day out with my mates is sitting in a soulless concrete block in homebush cheering on a team with no connection to the area.

Price does matter. I'm not suggesting the nrl drop their price to country rugby league prices but for a lot of fans entertainment is a luxury. It really starts adding up with kids. Especially if they buy food.

Latest posts