What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

lockyno1

Post Whore
Traffic can be the only excuse not turning up tonight... Plenty of parking and seats undercover.

I went to last Thursday''s game at ANZ and was comfortable sitting undercover... its not cold.

I'll give you another excuse

I'ts ANZ! It's a horrific ground to watch football. Stay at home where it is comfortable endnote raining!

Valheru

Coach
This timeslot at Penrith last week got 10,500 against an out of town side. This really should do better than that.

To be fair Manly may as well be an out of town team.

Penrith's was a good crowd given the circumstances, I agree. I think by the end of the season, Friday 6PM will prove to be more successful than Thursday night.

undertaker

Coach
If we are talking about ANZ Stadium getting a crap crowd tonight, wait until we get to the State of Origin period. There will be several sub-10k attendances during those 7-8 rounds.

undertaker

Coach
Of the 20 rounds in the regular season where there is 8 matches/round, 3 of those rounds only have one Sunday arvo game: Easter long weekend (Rd 7), Anzac long weekend (Rd 8) and Queen's Birthday weekend (Rd 14).

Quite simply, the Saturday 3pm matches in those rounds should be moved to Sunday 2pm. Manly vs Melbourne, Parramatta vs Penrith and Gold Coast vs NZ Warriors would all draw bigger crowds on Sunday arvo rather than Saturday arvo. Fans would also prefer this as well.

Very poor scheduling from the NRL, considering the lack of Sunday football as there is. If they have approved this just so that Fox Sports can have 3 games on Saturday, here's another example of the NRL organisation pandering to the tv networks.

undertaker

Coach
A few years ago (2011-12??), the Cowbs got scheduled to play the Storm on Easter Sunday night at 7pm in the 'ville.

We got 20k.

Billy Slater obviously drags a lot in because he's from Innisfail and Cronk and Smith because of the origin thing, but that slot really seemed to work because it allowed people from out of town to head to the 'ville and spend the weekend with their fam in the 'big smoke' for easter (most people up there have family/friends in Townsville) and then go to the game sunday night and head home monday on the public holiday.

20k is a great crowd figure especially for a storm away game and the fact I can't imagine many Sydney teams wanting that perticular slot and I thought 'f**k, they're onto something here, surely this has got to be a regular occurrance now'. You know, build a tradition and all that.

Guess how many times we've been scheduled to play those storm fruits on an easter sunday in Townsville since that night?

f**king 0 times.

I know we are only one club but I could seriously come up with a schedule for my team that would pretty much ensure an average of 18-19k roughly if not more every year. That include giving us minimal home games in the early part of the season when the weather can be utterly horrendous and outright dangerous. A sequence of 2 away, one home, 2 away, one home would be ideal. That means in the first 6 weeks we would only 2 homes games, guess how many we have this year in the first 6 weeks (wet/cyclone season)?

f**king 4.

Absolute geniuss.

We don't want special favours in NQ, but some common sense with scheduling games for us, especially during the cyclone season when it's pretty hard to go to a game when it's howling wind and hosing with rain. If Debbie had of directly hit Townsville yesterday, who knows if they could have had the ground prepped in time for the game on friday?

Here's another scheduling idea for us, and its for an away game. Last saturday was the first time in 3 years we have played on the GC. You would think with the issues the Titans have had over the last few years with crowds and cash, it would be a no brainer that the qld teams have got to play each other twice a year. It blew me away when the draw came out in 2015 and 2016 that for both years, we weren't up against the titans on the GC.

Utter madness.

I 100% agree that it was stupid to ditch the Cowboys vs Storm Easter game, especially after it was very well received in 2012. As usual, the NRL (along with Cricket Australia) could, as usual, be the only sports organisations in Australia to find a way to screw up a winning formula.

In addition, I would like to add that it was stupid ditching the Melbourne Storm Good Friday match. It got 25k+ at Etihad in 2010, and for years there were no sporting events held in Melbourne on that day. But, as usual, despite been given a free kick with no competition or obstructions against them, Ch9 found a way to screw things up, putting the game on 2hr delay in NSW/QLD, and late at night in Melbourne because they didn't want to upset the AFL lackeys at Ch7 with their annual Good Friday telethon. But, fact of the matter, even with lack of media coverage, the Storm still drew 25k+.

As of this year, AFL have finally decided to wake up and smell the coffee,and play a match on Good Friday (at Etihad). It's also no surprise that after 2010, the Melbourne Rebels and Melbourne Victory started playing Good Friday matches at AAMI Park. Again, another missed opportunity from the NRL.

Last edited:

guyver78

Juniors
Another year, same arguments, same poor crowds besides the Broncos in some rounds.

I like the way Todd Greenberg came out last night and said "we like where we're at at the moment" LOL

Crappy scheduling of games and expensive/overpriced tickets will once again ensure that crowds will continue to suffer.

This is happening across the AFL too. There just doesn't seem to be much value in going to the footy anymore, i'm not talking about guys like us here, i'm talking the neutrals that would much rather do something else on a friday/saturday night then go to the footy.

undertaker

Coach
I like the way Todd Greenberg came out last night and said "we like where we're at at the moment" LOL

Todd Greenberg is nothing more than a politician. And the quote "we like where we're at at the moment" is nothing more than making Ch9 and Fox Sports happy with the scheduling

Crappy scheduling of games and expensive/overpriced tickets will once again ensure that crowds will continue to suffer.

Those are the two most legitimate reasons, in addition to the large drop during the Origin period. Origin's being 3 weeks apart from each other are too long, and should be shortened to at least 2, thereby shortening the number of NRL rounds affected by it. It doesn't help that both Fox/Ch9 RL shows have already started spruiking Origin talk in their shows, hence devaluing the importance of the NRL to look like nothing other than a dusty magazine that's been sitting on the bookshelf for months.

This is happening across the AFL too. There just doesn't seem to be much value in going to the footy anymore, i'm not talking about guys like us here, i'm talking the neutrals that would much rather do something else on a friday/saturday night then go to the footy.

At least the AFL still has retained a large number of games in family-friendly timeslots. On average, 4 out of 9 per round are during the day (5 out of 9 if West Coast/Fremantle play a home game in the Sat/Sun 4:30pm EST timeslot). In addition, they don't have Thursday night games all year round, let alone Friday 6pm. Neither have they succumbed to the fixation of making sure every game is in it's own timeslot and there's no matches that overlap. That is the biggest myth the NRL keep putting out every year as to why the tv rights value is what it is, and why the lack of Sunday arvo matches will continue to remain for the next 6 years.. AFL, EPL, NFL and all the other sports with $1 billion+ tv rights deals have matches played simultaneously

guyver78

Juniors
Todd Greenberg is nothing more than a politician. And the quote "we like where we're at at the moment" is nothing more than making Ch9 and Fox Sports happy with the scheduling

Those are the two most legitimate reasons, in addition to the large drop during the Origin period. Origin's being 3 weeks apart from each other are too long, and should be shortened to at least 2, thereby shortening the number of NRL rounds affected by it. It doesn't help that both Fox/Ch9 RL shows have already started spruiking Origin talk in their shows, hence devaluing the importance of the NRL to look like nothing other than a dusty magazine that's been sitting on the bookshelf for months.

At least the AFL still has retained a large number of games in family-friendly timeslots. On average, 4 out of 9 per round are during the day (5 out of 9 if West Coast/Fremantle play a home game in the Sat/Sun 4:30pm EST timeslot). In addition, they don't have Thursday night games all year round, let alone Friday 6pm. Neither have they succumbed to the fixation of making sure every game is in it's own timeslot and there's no matches that overlap. That is the biggest myth the NRL keep putting out every year as to why the tv rights value is what it is, and why the lack of Sunday arvo matches will continue to remain for the next 6 years.. AFL, EPL, NFL and all the other sports with $1 billion+ tv rights deals have matches played simultaneously

ALL VERY TRUE, Good Post.

To add to that I've been a season ticket holder and i've attended 95% of my team's home games since about 2009. I said i wasn't going to renew my memberships last year but I ended up doing it anyway. I don't know what it is but I'm just not enjoying the footy games as much as I used to nor am I seeing any value in going to the footy anymore. In my eyes nothing has really changed much in terms of ''your experience at the footy" taking into account crowds, atmosphere, food, halftime shows etc etc

This has all remained the same for the last 10 years quality wise with the exception of price as everything has almost doubled. In 2010/2011 the most expensive Cat 1 tickets reserved Diamond seats at ANZ were $35/$40, now they're $70 at the gates. This is pretty much for exactly the same product.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Agree highly with that last part - having matches overlap shouldn't be an issue anymore. Hopefully we see that going forward in 2018 and beyond.

undertaker

Coach

Regarding your point on Fri/Sat night footy, I put it down to 3 factors:

1) the rise in the lucrativeness of televised sport (especially on Saturday night) over the past decade and a half, starting from 2002.
2) the rise of Foxtel/PayTV subscriptions over that same period
3) increase in ticket prices over that same period

The Saturday night situation is rather interesting. To put it simply, Wayne Jackson/Andrew Demetriou were the major game changers in all this.

Back in the 1990s, Ch9 had programs that obtained high tv ratings such as Hey Hey It's Saturday, which was a quintessential Melbourne/Victorian production. PayTV (Foxtel/Optus) was still relatively new with a low subscription base in the late '90s during their early years of televising NRL and AFL matches, therefore the PayTV tv contracts for both codes was much lower than what it is now. Even Sat night AFL games in Sydney/Brisbane weren't broadcast until close to midnight, and this was after the Swans had several finals appearances under their belt and had made a GF. At the same time, coverage in Melbourne increased substantially. Believe it or not, pre-2002, only highlights of Saturday AFL games were shown in Melbourne, with games held outside of Victoria being the only ones shown live and in full. Most Saturday night games were held interstate (outside of Victoria). So, we can see Sat night football wasn't seen as lucrative back then.

But when Ch7 lost the AFL rights and Ch9/Ch10/Fox took over in 2002, that is when AFL coverage in NSW/QLD started to increase substantially and the value of the PayTV component skyrocketed. In NSW, first it was live Swans away games and home games on 1-2hr delay. Then when Demetriou became CEO, he made sure Ch10 continued to increase the Swans exposure, home games eventually went from 1hr delay to live, Sydney also receiving the Ch10 AFL shows from Melbourne as well as a huge increase in advertising and promtion. At the same time after 2002, what did the NRL do for increasing coverage of the game in Melbourne???? Remember all the "use it or lose it" threats Gallop made to Ch9 that eventuated in nothing? You can call him a scumbag and say whatever you like about him or other dubious things he was involved in, but Demetriou shat all over David Gallop from a great height and made him look like a rank amateur. He took a gamble that I would say has paid off, and although Rugby Union has benefited from the demise of the North Sydney Bears with an increased presence on the North Shore, AFL has benefited more from it as Union already had a presence in the private schools (e.g. Barker College) whereas 20 years ago, AFL support was nearly non-existent in the North Shore/Hills district. A very large geographical area from the Hawkesbury right down to the lower North Shore has been pretty much handed over to a rival competitor and in today's age with more options and different outlets of media compared to then, it's going to be very hard for the NRL to regain lost ground in that area

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Agree highly with that last part - having matches overlap shouldn't be an issue anymore. Hopefully we see that going forward in 2018 and beyond.

In addition, the NRL can't use the 'cannibalizing ratings' argument now that they have allowed Fox to simulcast all of Ch9's matches. So, for example tonight, Fox is directly competing against Ch9 for ratings of the Bulldogs/Broncos match.

undertaker

Coach
I have to say that I do miss when Super Saturday was 5:30-11pm. 3-9:30pm just doesn't feel the same, I don't know why. Also, I don't understand why Fox don't have 3 back-to-back matches (3:30/5:30/7:30), but instead has a 30min gap after the completion of the 3pm game.

undertaker

Coach
ALL VERY TRUE, Good Post.

To add to that I've been a season ticket holder and i've attended 95% of my team's home games since about 2009. I said i wasn't going to renew my memberships last year but I ended up doing it anyway. I don't know what it is but I'm just not enjoying the footy games as much as I used to nor am I seeing any value in going to the footy anymore. In my eyes nothing has really changed much in terms of ''your experience at the footy" taking into account crowds, atmosphere, food, halftime shows etc etc

This has all remained the same for the last 10 years quality wise with the exception of price as everything has almost doubled. In 2010/2011 the most expensive Cat 1 tickets reserved Diamond seats at ANZ were $35/$40, now they're $70 at the gates. This is pretty much for exactly the same product.

Lack of game-day experience is a big one relative to the exorbitant amount you pay on the day (not just the ticket price, which I've crapped on a lot about in the past, but other things at the ground such as food and drinks).

I remember back in the 1990s and early 2000's during the RL season, waiting in eager anticipation for the Knights next home game on a Sunday. I couldn't wait to wake up on Sunday, kick the ball around outside, watch The Sunday Footy Show and then my dad would drive my mum and I to stadium. Sunday's were always an occasion. Back then, it was common for the reserve grade team to be playing infront of 20k+ (on some occasions, 25k+ when the Knights management shut the gates early). What a moment it was for those reserve players to also be cheered by a large home ground, something that many who never made the first-grade side will never forget. Over the past decade, I and most others I know don't care so much for the lower grades and simply just turn up 15-20mins before the first-grade game. Lower tier footy has been butchered in Australia (largely due to the likes of Dennis Fitzgerald who pushed for the scrapping of it), and the elevation of the U20 comp/Holden Cup in place of it has expanded the gap further between the elite and the upcoming rising stars of the future. The ARLC have taken steps to bridge the gap, but it's going to take many years to get the standard in the lower tiers that existed 15-20+ years ago.

Also, lack of half-time entertainment. I remember during the SL year (1997), the Knights had a kick for goal contest. A random person who entered it was drawn from the barrel, and had to take 3 conversions from the 20m/30m/40m, for....$50,000! That don't offer those sort of prizes anymore. In the early 2000's, the Knights had a catch the ball one, where I got selected one time and won $100 (caught 1 out of 3. I had a finger injury from cricket the previous week which hampered my efforts, but the 25k in attendance that day and the sun right in my eyes didn't deter me). The catch the ball contest was replaced by a Knight's trivia contest they had on the field in 2004 (won $400, got 4 out of 5 questions, 4 of them were dead easy, the one I got wrong was Robbie Tew being the only Knights pointscorer in their debut match in 1988, which I obviously don't remember since I was less than 12 months old at the time). Also, my dad won a Playstation 2 in 2006 in a karaoke sing-off against someone else on the field, singing "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf infront of a sell-out crowd of 26k. The people in charge of the PA system tried their best to sabotage him by fiddling around with the sound quality of his microphone, but the crowd still voted for him in the end.

In all the half-time comps they had, the crowd who still remained were mostly very supportive and got involved. Sadly, by 2008 or so, the comps ceased. I know footy tipping offers much more money, but nevertheless, $500 for a then-high school student was very satisfying, let alone random people in the ground applauding, congratulating and talking to you as you walked back to sit on the hill.

The value of the major prizes on The Footy Show and many other tv game shows have declined a lot over the past decade. Still feels like yesterday when The Price is Right offered an apartment on the Gold Coast as the major prize! I know Australia is experiencing a bit of a downturn in the economy, but as the cliche goes in Australia, "everyone loves a winner", and prizes and competition are a very big incentive and something that needs to be incorporated back into the game-day experience to get fans more involved.

Last edited: