What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Agreed, all ANZ games should be free for all ticketed members. They should spend a million dollars advertising this fact as well.

I know it seems logical to just throw the gates open but they wont do this for 2 reasons.

-It costs a lot more in staffing to let thousands in for free. You need more vendors, security etc etc. More outlay for the same financial return? That's bad business.
-It is grossly unfair to those who have paid for tickets either in advance or as part of their membership.

70k empty seats, just open the doors to any nrl club member, nothing to lose at anz games.
I know it seems logical to just throw the gates open but they wont do this for 2 reasons.

-It costs a lot more in staffing to let thousands in for free. You need more vendors, security etc etc. More outlay for the same financial return? That's bad business.
-It is grossly unfair to those who have paid for tickets either in advance or as part of their membership.

carcharias

Immortal
Imagine paying for tickets to the beer fest in Melbourne
Then not many others bought tix

Then when you got there , they were giving every other prick free piss.

Same for footy tix.
Dumb idea.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

This is sound logic - but bafflingly, it was ignored my many on Friday when discussing the Bulldogs opening up the top deck for additional undercover seating at a premium cost.

Basically, people are expecting something for nothing and are getting upset at being asked to pay additional for what is considered (rightly or wrongly) a premium area. If they allow it for free now they devalue that product - also bad business.

In summary, you're all cheapskates.

Emu01

Juniors
At ANZ stadium,they should sell really cheap tickets say $10 or $5 for the lower section.

Only open the first 20 rows only.At least this way the crowd would look full from the fence up. Not have people sitting all over the place and thousands of vacant seats..

A 10 or 15k crowd would look better with every one in the first 20 rows.

Jimmy779

Juniors
What is Lottolands average Ground attendance for this year???
Somebody please compare it to Friday nights attendance at Allianz stadium, which keep in mind has a bigger capacity and apparently "a bigger fanbase than manly"

Valheru

Coach
What is Lottolands average Ground attendance for this year???
Somebody please compare it to Friday nights attendance at Allianz stadium, which keep in mind has a bigger capacity and apparently "a bigger fanbase than manly"

Sure

Brookvale is averaging 10,370 over 3 games so far all of which have been on Saturday or Sunday.

Roosters are averaging 13k over 2 games. One was played on a Thursday night, the other Friday 6PM

Clifferd

Coach

But in return

Those thousands that are let in for free will pay for food, drinks etc anyway which will cover extra staff costs

Hoofhearted

Juniors
If they are going to persist with the 6pm Friday game maybe they should try something from left field, play all 6pm Friday games at Allianz, offer $10 tickets and get people into the habit of going to the footy on Friday after work. Rotate the teams so everyone plays there at some point so we dont end up seeing the Roosters every week.
With the amount of people that work in the city you might find they are happy to go to the footy for a couple of hours after work to finish off the week, basically use the 6pm game as a marketing tool.

undertaker

Coach
The afl had bigger crowds in 1996 than they do now, super rugby union has basically halved and the Aleague is up and down as well, with a downward trend at the moment.

http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

AFL have larger average crowds compared to 1996, however that has been declining since 2010, largely due to the addition of Gold Coast/GWS, and also live FTA coverage of Friday night/Saturday night/Sunday arvo games in AFL heartland (Victoria/SA/WA) from 2012. Average season attendance peaked in 2008 with 36,996/game, now down to 31,877/game last season. The Saturday arvo FTA game is the only one that is delayed in AFL heartlands, but otherwise they have the same problem as the NRL now, with attendances and gate receipts having to compete against live tv broadcasts.

The biggest crowd drop are Brisbane Lions crowds, which are back to where the Brisbane Bears were pre-SL war, showing Brisbane largely benefited from the SL war, massive salary cap concessions they had which eventuated in their 3 consecutive premierships (2001-03) and having the whole SE-QLD region to themselves until the Gold Coast was admitted in 2011.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also remember every other sport has remained stagnant or gone backwards.
The afl had bigger crowds in 1996 than they do now, super rugby union has basically halved and the Aleague is up and down as well, with a downward trend at the moment.

Not correct. Their crowd in 96 was 29,637, last year it was 31,977 and that includes two expansion teams dragging their crowds down.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they are going to persist with the 6pm Friday game maybe they should try something from left field, play all 6pm Friday games at Allianz, offer $10 tickets and get people into the habit of going to the footy on Friday after work. Rotate the teams so everyone plays there at some point so we dont end up seeing the Roosters every week.
With the amount of people that work in the city you might find they are happy to go to the footy for a couple of hours after work to finish off the week, basically use the 6pm game as a marketing tool.

This, Every Friday night 6pm game at Allianz, every Sunday double header at ANZ with a 2pm and 4pm KO. Make it cheap and entertaining.

But clubs said no to being told where to play, NRL marketing is stuck in the 90's and the CEO lacks vision. I have no doubts we will be having these same discussions in 2021

azza29

Juniors
Storm used to run a regular "bring a mate for free" offer when they had a Monday night game. 2-for-1 GA tix, or a free GA ticket for members. I reckon the 6pm Friday timeslot would be an excellent opportunity for all clubs to try something similar.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
There SHOULD be some decent crowds for Round 6 if the rain stays away.

I'd like to think the in form Manly will sell out Brookie this Saturday against the Dragons.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Storm used to run a regular "bring a mate for free" offer when they had a Monday night game. 2-for-1 GA tix, or a free GA ticket for members. I reckon the 6pm Friday timeslot would be an excellent opportunity for all clubs to try something similar.

All clubs used to put promotions on for Monday night because they got compensation from the NRL. There is no compensation to host a Friday 6pm game.

T-Boon

Coach

I am saying make it free entry for ticketed members of any NRL team not for anyone. So it isn't unfair to anyone. That said I would reduce the shit out of ticket prices at ANZ as well.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Sure

Brookvale is averaging 10,370 over 3 games so far all of which have been on Saturday or Sunday.

Roosters are averaging 13k over 2 games. One was played on a Thursday night, the other Friday 6PM
Not to mention all opposition have been well supported sydney teams.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
take the promotion out of Sydney clubs hands they obviously have no idea...

$10 tickets friday 6pm... all members get into ANZ / allianz whatever games... KIDS free all games..

Just fill the stands... worry about the implications later.. (security, food contracts, bar staff) blah blah blah..

15 years, with 100's of games70k empty seats has conditioned a generation of kids, to think we are a 2nd rate sport...

undertaker

Coach
I agree that ticket prices must be reduced, especially at the major venues such as ANZ Stadium.

In regards to persisting with the Friday 6pm game, I've already suggested that during the daylight saving period in March, there's no reason why both Friday 6/8pm games can't be pushed back to ensure crowd attendances for both games are increased. The Ch9 match should be in QLD during this period to capitalise on the later kickoff time. Obviously, Ch9 wouldn't want the starting time to be too late in NSW, so I would say a suitable compromise is a 6:50pm kickoff for the Fox game (held in NSW, Canberra or Melbourne) followed by the Ch9 game held in QLD kicking off at 8:40-45pm (7:40-45pm QLD). In the first 5 rounds, Broncos to host 2, Titans to host 2 and Cowboys to host 1 (due to the more volatile weather and humidity up in Townsville at that time of the year). Broncos vs Cowboys to kick-off in round 1, like it used to. Telecast of the Ch9 game to start at 8:30pm in NSW and 7pm in QLD (with 40-45min pre-game show).

When daylight saving finishes and Friday night's revert back to 6/8pm, then I would suggest something like what Cricket Australia have done for day/night test matches over the past 2 summers: half-priced tickets offered for the 6pm game for those who could only make the 2nd half (this excludes the Warriors, where their home game starts at the more suitable time of 8pm NZ and also Good Friday 6pm, which is a public holiday). Those with the half-priced tickets would be allowed in after the half-time siren at approx 6:45-50pm. Also, the Warriors quota of home matches on Friday night would be after daylight saving finishes so less games held in Australia in this timeslot. Also, games in areas outside of Sydney should be candidates for the Friday 6pm game, such as Bathurst/Albury/Wollongong etc.

Latest posts