What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

POPEYE

Coach
& take 30% revenue out of the game & have heaps more trialling for NFL!

Introducing new teams and playing each other once would help revenue and if any RL player thought he had a chance in NFL nothing on offer here would dissuade him

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
& take 30% revenue out of the game & have heaps more trialling for NFL!
Obviously the shortfall would be made up for by rep football. Hell, even have a Challenge-Cup style competition, which could enhance bush footy as well? Plenty of ideas could make it work and it balances the draw...

Canard

Immortal
Obviously the shortfall would be made up for by rep football. Hell, even have a Challenge-Cup style competition, which could enhance bush footy as well? Plenty of ideas could make it work and it balances the draw...

For mine in the saturated sports market of 2017 and beyond anything deemed "second" rate like a cup competition, would struggle to command anywhere near the $ on offer for the NRL "proper"

Raiderdave

First Grade
we couldn't reduce our present comp down to just 15 weeks & hope to make up another 11 weeks with anything even remotely worthy to make up the revenue shortfall
even with 3 stand alone origins & a mid year test round , we'd be 7 weeks short , a challenge cup type played in the bush has merit , but i dunno if broadcasters would believe it was as valuable to them as straight up club games would.
expansion would push out the club rounds to 17 & shortfall to 9

we're never going to have a proper fair draw again
we have too many teams these days

the only way we'd get close is a conference style set up & that has its problems too

Marlins

Juniors
10 rounds
3 week origin period with origin played on Sunday afternoon. PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Soma playing each other once during this period.
10 rounds
4 weeks of finals

20 Nrl games
3 Origins
4 Final Weeks = 27 Weeks
It's that simple.
In the future it would be great if the Nrl could expand to 20 teams.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The NFL has the unfairest draw of any major sport with daylight second, but the fans just shrug their shoulders and get on with supporting their teams..

Raiderdave

First Grade
10 rounds
3 week origin period with origin played on Sunday afternoon. PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Soma playing each other once during this period.
10 rounds
4 weeks of finals

20 Nrl games
3 Origins
4 Final Weeks = 27 Weeks
It's that simple.
In the future it would be great if the Nrl could expand to 20 teams.

& we still don't have everyone playing each other the same number of times which was the point of the last few pages of debate
so no , it aint the that simple

if we went to 20 teams
& we aren't going to be able to do that for at least another 10 years
we'd get close to the above with 19 rounds , with everyone playing each other once

BuffaloRules

Coach
they have 32 sides
impossible to build in any perceivable fairness

Any draw that is not based on playing each other side home and away is not going to be fair...

Even if you play the other sides once only, some teams will get the short end of the stick with which teams they play away...

I'm not advocating that they move to home and away by any means as this is an impractical number of rounds, but have the fans accept that what we have is not perfect and some years you will be screwed and others you will be lucky..

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
In a market as small as Aus maximising revenue is more important than any perception of draw fairness.

Everyone on this board is a hardcore fan and wants the purest competition possible, but that doesn't often gel with getting max $$$.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Any draw that is not based on playing each other side home and away is not going to be fair...

Even if you play the other sides once only, some teams will get the short end of the stick with which teams they play away...

I'm not advocating that they move to home and away by any means as this is an impractical number of rounds, but have the fans accept that what we have is not perfect and some years you will be screwed and others you will be lucky..

playing everyone the same number of times ... once being practical
is as close as we'll get to anything considered fair
theres a lot in life that isn't fair , Im not sure why we'd expect this to be different in our favourite sports annual schedule

Timmah

Staff member
For mine in the saturated sports market of 2017 and beyond anything deemed "second" rate like a cup competition, would struggle to command anywhere near the $ on offer for the NRL "proper"
Less than 5 years ago we introduced the Auckland Nines which commands more prizemoney than the NRL comp itself...

TheFrog

Coach
playing everyone the same number of times ... once being practical is as close as we'll get to anything considered fair

15 rounds might work if you put a challenge cup in front of it, not unlike the old Wills Cup from the 1960's, which was quite successful. Give it some serious prizemoney and/or other incentives.

Without something to fill the remaining 11 or so weeks, the game is going to lose about a third of its income.

(Edit: I see someone already suggested the same thing).

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Less than 5 years ago we introduced the Auckland Nines which commands more prizemoney than the NRL comp itself...

It's a great initiative that has worked well.

However in no way is a two day pre season event analogous with replacing 10 weeks of an NRL season. Especially in terms of TV dollars and viewership

Timmah

Staff member
If done right it certainly can be. Even in the small world of English rugby league the Challenge Cup generates significant interest toward its ending. And I'm not suggesting a cup comp account for all 10 weeks - the other 5 would be quality rep weekends incl. Tests, Origins etc

Canard

Immortal
If done right it certainly can be. Even in the small world of English rugby league the Challenge Cup generates significant interest toward its ending. And I'm not suggesting a cup comp account for all 10 weeks - the other 5 would be quality rep weekends incl. Tests, Origins etc

Who are you appealing to though? Some hardcore fans who wan't "draw fairness" over revenue, TV exposure, media coverage etc?

I just don't see this has being such an important point to sacrifice these issues.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't think it's just hardcore fans who either are concerned with the integrity of the draw... or at the very least confused by it. Casual / fringe fans are probably left wondering each year why team X doesn't play team X for whatever reason at a certain ground, for example.

The A-League (albeit with a smaller competition) seems to be able to achieve some kind of balance by having all teams play thrice. I'm not saying definitely make it one game per club only, if there's support for 30 rounds instead, go for it

Canard

Immortal
I don't think it's just hardcore fans who either are concerned with the integrity of the draw... or at the very least confused by it. Casual / fringe fans are probably left wondering each year why team X doesn't play team X for whatever reason at a certain ground, for example.

With all the issues the game has at the moment, I don't think this is the most pressing of concerns.

Timmah

Staff member
Well done on taking the argument to a fallacious extreme. Just because it's not the most pressing of concerns doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

Latest posts