What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Sunday 6pm would of been better time slot..atleast people with children can still take their kids to the game without fighting peak hour traffic and the game doesnt finish heaps late and you still get a good tv rating.

The fact is a large majority of people who live sydney do work until 5pm and do drive. You are really cutting those people out of potential fans with this 6pm friday slot. I think most people would struggle to even get home to see the start of the game on tv by then.

Lambretta

First Grade
Problem with having 2 730pm Fri games is that we will get the faaarrrrking Donkeys on evey Friday up here and and a drunken snore for the replay of the Sydney game.

You get the f**king Donkeys on every sodding Friday anyway

Is that a win?

But the major difference is that now NSW viewers have the Donkeys as their main bloody game at 8pm too so everyone suffers

Lambretta

First Grade
Shit that is 4 possible points down the toilet.

Which other Clubs unluckily aren't playing the Knights twice?

Aren't you the maths genius?

If we play the Knights twice we get 4 points
If we only play the Knights once, we flush 4 points down the drain

Logic - playing the Knights twice means we win both games. Playing them once means we lose that one

Unless you meant the 2 points you club would lose out on plus the two points some other club misses out on.
Though why you'd worry about them is beyond me

:p

Lambretta

First Grade
Sunday 6pm would of been better time slot..atleast people with children can still take their kids to the game without fighting peak hour traffic and the game doesnt finish heaps late and you still get a good tv rating.

The fact is a large majority of people who live sydney do work until 5pm and do drive. You are really cutting those people out of potential fans with this 6pm friday slot. I think most people would struggle to even get home to see the start of the game on tv by then.

Being better by default still doesn't make it a good option

Friday 6pm is shit
Sunday 6pm is shit.

At least Friday 6pm you can go out afterwards and celebrate / commiserate the result
You can't do that on a Sunday.

if you take the family, you leave the game at 8pm, say 1 hour to get home. Then there's dinner, getting the kids ready for bed etc. Kids in bed by10pm on a school night? Well that leaves a lot of time to wind down doesn't it?

Sunday at 6pm is rubbish. trying to replace rubbish with rubbish is stupid. Let's please stop mentioning Sunday at 6pm. Some moron from the NRL might actually think it's a good idea.

adamkungl

Immortal
The best time slots for crowds would be a return to the old days of overlapping games on Sunday

1 Friday night
3 consecutive Saturday
2x 2pm Sunday
2x 4pm Sunday

If Fox were smart about it they'd have a "Redzone"-style* broadcast that runs concurrent to the games and switches between them at exciting moments.

*for those who don't care about NFL, the Redzone broadcast switches between games when teams are attacking in the 20m, and show every touchdown play

Cult03

Juniors
The best time slots for crowds would be a return to the old days of overlapping games on Sunday

1 Friday night
3 consecutive Saturday
2x 2pm Sunday
2x 4pm Sunday

If Fox were smart about it they'd have a "Redzone"-style* broadcast that runs concurrent to the games and switches between them at exciting moments.

*for those who don't care about NFL, the Redzone broadcast switches between games when teams are attacking in the 20m, and show every touchdown play
For those who don't want to watch the whole game that would be great. Unfortunately, it's kinda stupid for NRL where tries happen from all over the field.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Friday
6:15pm
8:15pm
Saturday
3:30pm
5:30pm
7:30pm
Sunday
1:00pm
3:00pm
5:00pm

Yeah that 15 extra minutes would make all the difference. I am not a fan of 8.15pm either, a bit late. Your other timeslots I like though, a lot. Looks like move Friday to 7.30pm and find another slot for the other game. Personally i would like 2 games at 3pm Sunday but TV doesn't. Funny that every other sporting competition in the world can survive overlapping games.

Knight76

Juniors

1 Friday night
3 consecutive Saturday
2x 2pm Sunday
2x 4pm Sunday

I couldn't imagine anything worse.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
ONE of the first things pointed out when the NRL released the draw for the 2017 season was the host of prime time games for the Broncos.

It’s become an on-going trend around the league that the men from Brisbane seem to receive more favours than most from the NRL, and the bottom line is simple – they’ve earned it.

Not the players, not the coach, but the fans.

They’re the reason they get to watch their side almost every Thursday or Friday night.

This is their reward for the unwavering support they provide their team week-in, week-out. Be it turning up in their tens of thousands at Suncorp Stadium or tuning in to watch on TV, they are easily the best supported team in the country.

People can argue that they have the advantage of being the only team in the city and thus garnering more numbers than any Sydney team possibly could, but regardless of how big their pool of fans is in comparison to other clubs the fact remains that Broncos’ fans make sure their team is unequivocally supported.

There were times last season where away teams were better supported than the home team at certain grounds across NSW – the Sharks having more fans turn up on a wet and windy Monday night to play the Rabbitohs at the Sydney Football Stadium springs to mind.

It sounds petty but these things add up when it comes to scheduling. The NRL and its broadcast partners want to attract the biggest possible audience each and every week and to do so they need their prime time games to involve both the biggest attendance and viewership.

The Broncos tick both those boxes. It’s why broadcasters choose to air their games and in turn why their games land on Thursday and Friday nights.

So rather than sit and complain about the apparent favoritism that goes their way every year it’s time we as fans start offering the same level of support for our clubs in the way the fans up north provide for theirs.

Make your local ground a cauldron for opposing teams and watch the domino affect it has on everything else as a result.

A packed stadium creates a buzz around your team. That buzz generates interest from broadcasters who want to cash in on the numbers. Those numbers lead to scheduling preference when it comes to creating the season draw.

So while it’s hard to deny the Broncos get the better rub of the green than most, it’s fair to say their fans have earned it.

It’s not necessarily fair but then not much is fair when it comes to business.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/why-t...18806041493969&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

mozza91

Coach
I wouldn't hate that idea tbh. As long as Foxtel show a couple of replays of both the games afterwards.
NFL Redzone is excellent for the casuel fan who doesn't want to wait ages for something to happen and it brings more fans to the game. Maybe a Rugby League equivalent (obviously on a smaller scale with only 2 games) could do the same?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Bulldogs having the "easiest" draw, with the most sought-after day games, when the person in charge of the draw from the NRL was their former CEO - surely people can understand why fans get frustrated.
Yeah so much favouritism with the Bulldogs getting more Friday 6pm games than any other Sydney club...

Rabbits20

Immortal
No he's not.... Souths play last years top eight 13 times out of possible 16, so they definitely don't play last years top teams twice. Broncos are the only team that plays last years top 4 teams twice, as well as bulldogs and titans twice, panthers just once. So 13 out of possible 14 against last years top 8.
But Broncs only have 1 five day turn around I believe. Souths have 5.

They'll get at least a bye in the origin period too I would imagine. Whereas Souths don't get one in the week before origin at all.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Dunno what is going on here... http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/86891708/cancelled-panthers-game-huge-blow-to-christchurch

Cancellation of a planned NRL clash between Penrith Panthers and the Warriors in Christchurch will rob the city's economy of an estimated $10 million injection and set back the uptake of rugby league in the city, organisers say.

"It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for the city," Christchurch sports promoter and "passionate league-ie", Justin Wallace said.

The 2017 game would have been the second of four Panther home games played in Christchurch as part of a contract struck by Wallace.

It was cancelled after the draw time, set by broadcaster Foxtel Australia, was deemed too late to attract a crowd in New Zealand.

The broadcaster had control over the 2017 draw and had set the time for the Panthers game at 6.30pm on a Sunday.

"Unfortunately the NRL could not turn the broadcaster around to change it so they basically wanted us to kick off at 8.30pm on a Sunday, which isn't going to work."

But the Round 10 Panthers vs Warriors game is 3pm Saturday (5pm NZT), so why can't the contract stand and they play in Christchurch??

Why cant 2 matches ever be played at the same time? For me, Friday 8pm; Saturday 3.30, 5.30, 7.30; Sunday 1pm x 2, 3pm x 2. Wish Channel 10 wud av the NRL rights and internationals. C9 just have Origin. If C7 would do a better job than C10 for the WC then fine give the rights to C7 for the WC. I see C9 as the cricket channel.

NrlVader

Juniors
Can't understand why some teams play each other twice and others don't.

Who ever plays Newcastle, West Tigers, Canberra and St George twice is a certain top 4.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Can't understand why some teams play each other twice and others don't.

Who ever plays Newcastle, West Tigers, Canberra and St George twice is a certain top 4.

Because sporting administrators I'm Australia have no idea what the meaning of sporting integrity means. refer AFL and super rugby for the same situation

Cannot believe we have 5 years of this Friday 6pm rubbish. and even more frustrating is the same 16 teams with no prospect for change or new sides in that time. kind of over the Nrl, doesn't look like its going to grow up and move on from being the least fan friendly sports league i know of.

Raiderdave

First Grade
while I hate to say it with Perth Red lurking
A perth side ontop of a possible 2nd Kiwi based side would nearly eliminate the need for games being played in the same kick off times

the 6pm friday game becomes less of an issue with 2 NZ sides
a Perth side allows extra games on every broadcast day , Thursday , Friday Sat & Sunday

we could have family friendly reasonable local kick off times to maximise crowds , & no clashes
starting at 12pm on saturday or sunday in NZ eastern standard time , right through to 9.30pm on saturdays
& 6pm on Sundays in WA
plus the potential for a 2nd thursday game & a 3rd friday game

there needs to be some left field thinking for the next broadcast deal

Latest posts