What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

chahrour123

Juniors
Very smart by the NRL to have 6pm games because that way Foxtel will attract more viewers to watch the Friday night game at 8pm. Very smart!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not saying it won't work - like anything it's going to be given a chance - but how would Foxtel get good ratings?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Honestly if the fan base at large had any sense, Friday 6pm would be subject to an organised boycott. I won't even need to attempt to boycott as I just will not be able to watch it. I almost wish for very poor ratings and crowds to immediately put pressure on this crap to see an end to it

Very disappointing that this situation has been allowed to happen, just shows the administrators priorities and decisions are on a different planet to the fans needs. bottom line they just don't care.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not saying it won't work - like anything it's going to be given a chance - but how would Foxtel get good ratings?

Well I wil watch the game on replay on fox as it will be 3pm live here! I can see the fox late replay of the 6pm game being more popular than the fox live coverage of it. I pres e they will replay the 6pm game after the later Friday night game on fox?

Oh and which games in rd1 do you think will break 20k other than potentially Souths?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Well I wil watch the game on replay on fox as it will be 3pm live here! I can see the fox late replay of the 6pm game being more popular than the fox live coverage of it. I pres e they will replay the 6pm game after the later Friday night game on fox?

Oh and which games in rd1 do you think will break 20k other than potentially Souths?
I'd say the pirates could crack 20k.....oh hang on maybe not.

Big Salad

Juniors
I don't like the idea of the 6pm game, but most people who want to watch footy will be home for at least the last hour of it (7-8pm) which Foxtel will hope will flow into the 8pm game.

Card Shark

Immortal
Very disappointing that this situation has been allowed to happen, just shows the administrators priorities and decisions are on a different planet to the fans needs. bottom line they just don't care.

NRL make their decisions about game times & opponents after consulting broadcast partners...it's that simple.

They have lost touch with reality.

Diesel

Referee
NZ viewers are the big winners from this new timeslot.

Although Foxtel signed this, I wonder if Sky TV in NZ has any persuasion with the money they pay for the NZ rights.

insert.pause

First Grade
NZ viewers are the big winners from this new timeslot.

Although Foxtel signed this, I wonder if Sky TV in NZ has any persuasion with the money they pay for the NZ rights.
We wouldn't know what Sky have paid because the NRL didn't even release a press statement announcing a deal had been agreed to, despite sky announcing to the market that a deal had been made. Makes you wonder why the NRL would be so quiet about a Tv deal worth at least $100 million dollars to the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You'd think so, given the NRL has it's own dedicated channel from February.
Both Titans and Cowboys should realistically break 20k, Warriors *should* nudge it, and Souths v Tigers more than likely will.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Thurs Sharks V Broncos 18000
Fri Bulldogs V Storm 14000
Fri Souths V Tigers 22000
Sat Warriors V Dragons 16000
Sat Titans V Roosters 16000
Sat Cowboys V Raiders 16000
Sun Manly V Parramatta 16000
Sun Penrith V Newcastle 12000

Raiderdave

First Grade
half the crowd won't have even arrived in time for kickoff at Belmore for the first 6pm friday game id say , with many arriving after kickoff right up until halftime.
the idea of using suburban grounds in Sydney for this time slot ... will... actually help the attendance for this timeslot as opposed to the SFS or ANZ if thats what they're thinking , in the warmer months it might do okish
but still

itll wear thin very quickly , fans are being treated very poorly here & its time to tell broadcasters
these are the time slots youll broadcast in , no Thursday , 1 Friday night , no stupid friday time slots
no monday
exceptions for public holidays falling on or near any of these days of course
&
these are the games in those time slots

you don't like it
theres the door .....

johnny plath

Juniors
half the crowd won't have even arrived in time for kickoff at Belmore for the first 6pm friday game id say , with many arriving after kickoff right up until halftime.
the idea of using suburban grounds in Sydney for this time slot ... will... actually help the attendance for this timeslot as opposed to the SFS or ANZ if thats what they're thinking , in the warmer months it might do okish
but still

itll wear thin very quickly , fans are being treated very poorly here & its time to tell broadcasters
these are the time slots youll broadcast in , no Thursday , 1 Friday night , no stupid friday time slots
no monday
exceptions for public holidays falling on or near any of these days of course
&
these are the games in those time slots

you don't like it
theres the door .....

I know Ill be torched with a flamethrower here, but trying to be positive if its done with some thought maybe this time can work. One of the biggest whinges on here is that the time slots don't allow kids to get to games because they finish too late. To me it seems a great opportunity to get kids to some twilight/night footy especially in the warmer months and thinking about the next gen of supporters. Kids will be stoked to finish school friday then off to the footy. I know the counter is parents can't get home in time, but if your suburban team had one of these time slots per season, could you finish work early one time to get the kids out... surely with notice and planning you could get home early one Friday in the year.

There's always a counter side to every point... a few people here have commented on the storm away game first up, and not FTA, but maybe its a chance to expose Storm in that after Friday drinks time in the Melbourne pubs when they're playing away, then maybe drag some of that interest to the ground when they play at home. If they aren't getting much fta coverage, maybe its a good slot to see them before the kick and giggle starts. I dunno, but got to be some positive thought process to why and how this time can work, instead of endless bleating.

Rugby league fans truly are the f**king Goldilocks of the world where nothing is ever just quite right. We whinge we don't get our team on FTA, then when we do the same people whinge they can't get to the game, or it finishes too late, or its too cold in winter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Anyway, flame on.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I know Ill be torched with a flamethrower here, but trying to be positive if its done with some thought maybe this time can work. One of the biggest whinges on here is that the time slots don't allow kids to get to games because they finish too late. To me it seems a great opportunity to get kids to some twilight/night footy especially in the warmer months and thinking about the next gen of supporters. Kids will be stoked to finish school friday then off to the footy. I know the counter is parents can't get home in time, but if your suburban team had one of these time slots per season, could you finish work early one time to get the kids out... surely with notice and planning you could get home early one Friday in the year.

There's always a counter side to every point... a few people here have commented on the storm away game first up, and not FTA, but maybe its a chance to expose Storm in that after Friday drinks time in the Melbourne pubs when they're playing away, then maybe drag some of that interest to the ground when they play at home. If they aren't getting much fta coverage, maybe its a good slot to see them before the kick and giggle starts. I dunno, but got to be some positive thought process to why and how this time can work, instead of endless bleating.

Rugby league fans truly are the f**king Goldilocks of the world where nothing is ever just quite right. We whinge we don't get our team on FTA, then when we do the same people whinge they can't get to the game, or it finishes too late, or its too cold in winter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Anyway, flame on.

while it might help a few more kids to get to a few more friday night games in the early part of the season
it will be a fluke & a by product as opposed to any planning for this to occur

Broadcasters don't care about any type of attendee
only the veiwer in their living room.

as a game
we need to look after anyone who has any inclination to attend a game first
& everyone else 2nd.
I feel we're not there as a game yet & this is the direction we need to take.
Tell the broadcasters where & when to turn up
not them telling us

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well I it ain't going to happen for another 5 years, we keep locking ourselves into poor fan attendance schedules for fear of not getting more tv money. One day we may have the confidence to call the shots, or maybe not. AFL has shown you can get the $'s without compromising the ability of fans to attend games.

We've gone from a Monday night to a Monday and Thursday to a Thursday and shocking Friday slot. God only knows what they'll come up with next.

Latest posts