What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Draw

BuffaloRules

Coach
When this 6pm Friday slot was first mooted, wasn't there some talk that some of these games might be taken to the regional areas?

I'm assuming that the Friday 5pm traffic around Dubbo, Coffs Harbour, Bathurst, Mackay might be a little bit lighter than the suburbs of Sydney..

Marlins

Juniors
Thurs Sharks V Broncos 20k
Fri Bulldogs V Storm 16k
Fri Souths V Tigers 32k
Sat Warriors V Dragons 18k
Sat Titans V Roosters 16k
Sat Cowboys V Raiders 18k
Sun Manly V Parramatta 15k
Sun Penrith V Newcastle 16k

I wish the nrl would publicise the 6pm FRI game as the 'Kids get in for free game'. Friday Crowds won't be any worse then Monday nights and gives the game more exposure to the non fan at the pub. I personally am always waiting for the Fri 8pm to kick off now I get a game leading into it. This years crowds will kill the past few years.
Total average for 17'- 18k I'm calling it.

Marlins

Juniors
When this 6pm Friday slot was first mooted, wasn't there some talk that some of these games might be taken to the regional areas?

I'm assuming that the Friday 5pm traffic around Dubbo, Coffs Harbour, Bathurst, Mackay might be a little bit lighter than the suburbs of Sydney..
In Mackay and most of central NQLD majority in all TooL trades & construction normally finish work between 12pm-4pm

chahrour123

Juniors
Talk about NRL draw and how poor some of you think the NRL hierarchy is look at the A-League. I can safely say that the Canberra Raiders will not have any competition from the A-League if they expand to Canberra. Put on the TV and spoke to a few people who told me there were more people in attendance watching the Women's League game than the A-League game which just kicked off at GIO Stadium in Canberra. Crowd will be like 4,000-4500. Why would you schedule the 2 lowest drawing A-League teams to play in Canberra where they have no team.

PRIME TIME BRONCOS

THE integrity of the NRL draw will again be a major taking point when the Brisbane Broncos’ schedule is revealed. In the draft copy of the draw the Broncos are getting all 12 home games at Suncorp on a Thursday or Friday night on free-to-air television. Six of their away games have also been allocated the prime time Thursday and Friday night spots which gives them longer game turnarounds than their rivals and the opportunity to sell sponsorships at a higher rate because they appear on the big ratings nights.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/172268fb2951355d6cc5b8622bec436a

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
merkins. No shocks there. All of our home games were on a Thursday of Friday night (bar one Saturday night home game v Newcastle) plus our Saturday night away game v Manly @ Suncorp. f**k them.

Marlins

Juniors
That's crap. Thursday night home games for the Broncs they should all be Friday night. Fair enough a few away Thursday night games.

cleary89

Coach
I know Ill be torched with a flamethrower here, but trying to be positive if its done with some thought maybe this time can work. One of the biggest whinges on here is that the time slots don't allow kids to get to games because they finish too late. To me it seems a great opportunity to get kids to some twilight/night footy especially in the warmer months and thinking about the next gen of supporters. Kids will be stoked to finish school friday then off to the footy. I know the counter is parents can't get home in time, but if your suburban team had one of these time slots per season, could you finish work early one time to get the kids out... surely with notice and planning you could get home early one Friday in the year.

There's always a counter side to every point... a few people here have commented on the storm away game first up, and not FTA, but maybe its a chance to expose Storm in that after Friday drinks time in the Melbourne pubs when they're playing away, then maybe drag some of that interest to the ground when they play at home. If they aren't getting much fta coverage, maybe its a good slot to see them before the kick and giggle starts. I dunno, but got to be some positive thought process to why and how this time can work, instead of endless bleating.

Rugby league fans truly are the f**king Goldilocks of the world where nothing is ever just quite right. We whinge we don't get our team on FTA, then when we do the same people whinge they can't get to the game, or it finishes too late, or its too cold in winter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Anyway, flame on.

As a teacher, I get home on a Friday by 4, am pumped for the footy and then end up having to watch some shitty nz team play super rugby every week. I'll love the 6pm game and I'm sure kids in my class will too.

undertaker

Coach
Make the NRL draw great again.

Make the NRL draw great again, starting by getting rid of the Friday 6pm timeslot.

Will be interesting to see the distribution of who hosts games in that timeslot when the full draw is released. Now with the Bulldogs confirmed as hosts in Rd 1, it's inevitable that other Sydney teams will be forced to host Friday 6pm matches. Crowds at venues such as Brookvale (which are already difficult to get to via public transport, let alone in peak hour) will be lucky to get anything more than 5k.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/6bbdaf4196a1c7ea0efdb20a8b42870a

A Friday night game kicking off at 6PM would be a key sweetener for Fox Sports, which would televise those matches from Auckland, Brisbane or Townsville from 2016.

This would ensure games held in the earlier timeslot would also attract a crowd because arriving early for matches in peak hour on a Friday night in Sydney would be too difficult in peak hour traffic.

So much for games not being in Sydney due to peak hour traffic. Liars.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Make the NRL draw great again.

Make the NRL draw great again, starting by getting rid of the Friday 6pm timeslot.

Will be interesting to see the distribution of who hosts games in that timeslot. Now with the Bulldogs hosting in Rd 1, it's inevitable that other Sydney teams will be forced to host Friday 6pm matches. Crowds at venues located in isolated areas such as Brookvale (which are already difficult to get to via public transport, let alone in peak hour) will be lucky to get 5k.

It's contracted for Nine to have 18 broncos games each season.

Odds on that Parramatta and South Sydney will also get a large allocation of Ch9 matches when the draw is released. If the Broncos situation is true, this is yet another example of why 2018 can't come quick enough, when the NRL will have full control over the scheduling.

Fans and their teams have been dicked by Ch9 for years, and the Broncos have been reaping an unfair financial (advertising/sponsors) and on-field (regular 7 day turnarounds) advantage over the other teams since the two Friday night game format was introduced in 2007. Although I don't believe making all teams having an equal number of FTA/Ch9 games is a reality when the NRL takes over the scheduling next year, my proposal is there definitely needs to be a cap on the max number of games a team can feature on FTA, and the minimum number of games they must feature in during the regular season.

Those 6 p.m. and later timeslots will be a Godsend for those teams who don't have to play in the heat.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Sunday 4pm and Saturday 3pm timeslots in March?

Having Saturday 3pm games in March was stupid (excluding when the Warriors hosted, which was 5pm over in Auckland, and cooler than the east coast of Australia), after the previous couple of years where it had been moved to 4:30pm due to the heat. It was fairly hot for the first two Canberra home games this year at 3pm. Sunday 2pm games were scrapped in the first few rounds from 2014 onwards after there was a rare heatwave in 2013 that lasted until the end of April IIRC.

Nevertheless, it's not as bad as the time the Gold Coast (2009) and Brisbane (2008/10) had Sunday 1pm home games in March. Really feel sorry for the fans who found it bloody insufferable sitting in the sunlight with the stifling heat and humidity. Whoever was the braindead moron that thought it was a brilliant idea needed to be sacked on the spot.

Last edited:

Arnold

Juniors
The fact that a single player transfer has actually had an impact on the draw goes to show how amateur our National Conpetition really is.

Big Salad

Juniors
I assume that 9 pays a premium to have the Broncos on so often. The question is whether the other clubs are happy to take the guaranteed extra money from the larger TV deal that this allows, or have their NRL grant reduced for the sake of a couple more FTA games and potential sponsorship money.

The 5 day turn arounds are a bigger issue for all clubs, not just the Broncos, but should be largely reduced next year with no Monday night games to worry about. If the Broncos always play on Thursday/Fridays then that means there will likely be some teams that mostly play on Saturdays/Sundays next year.

I can understand why 9 would want the Broncos playing on Thursday nights at home as often as possible; they are pretty much the only club to attract respectable crowds to the Thursday games and make it look like it works for the fans. There were 9-10 crowds of sub-10k on Thurdays from other clubs in 2016 and a number of those games felt flat as a result.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
I assume that 9 pays a premium for to have the Broncos on so often. The question is whether the other clubs are happy to take the guaranteed extra money from the larger TV deal that this allows, or have their NRL grant reduced for the sake of a couple more FTA games and potential sponsorship money.

The 5 day turn arounds are a bigger issue for all clubs, not just the Broncos, but should be largely reduced next year with no Monday night games to worry about. If the Broncos always play on Thursday/Fridays then that means there will likely be some teams that mostly play on Saturdays/Sundays next year.

I can understand why 9 would want the Broncos playing on Thursday nights at home as often as possible; they are pretty much the only club to attract respectable crowds to the Thursday games and make it look like it works for the fans. There were 9-10 crowds of sub-10k on Thurdays from other clubs in 2016 and a number of those games felt flat as a result.

you cant buy integrity
the game needs to stand up to broadcasters & demand its right to the same big increases , without ludicrous time slots , or any one club hogging all the prime time FTA coverage.

insert.pause

First Grade
Poor timeslot's lead to poor crowds, poor crowds result in poor atmosphere, poor atmosphere makes for bad games, bad games generate lower ratings, lower ratings mean smaller broadcast deals, smaller broadcast deals means lower player salaries, and before you know it you're the ARU.

The NRL can't afford to be complacent and take the current interest in the game for granted, it might look very different in 2022.

Raiderdave

First Grade
So the 4 nations final will be done & dusted on Monday
Seeing as this tournament is being used as the main reason our draw isn't out yet
We can now expect the draw some time next week then yeah ?

Latest posts