What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Prelim Final, Sat - Roosters 16-29 Cowboys @ Allianz

Finals Week 3: Roosters v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danish

Referee
The result of this game lays entirely with the Roosters. If we hold the ball and respect our opposition, we'll win comfortably.

If we bring the same kind of bullshit errors and cheap penalties that we did against the broncos (and have done in most games this year, tbh), we'll get rolled.

For those interested in a team other than Melbourne winning the premiership, I suggest you get on board the tri-colours bandwagon. We are the only side left that has the ability to push them IMO

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
hopefully we win the roosters get someone called back who was in the clear for a BS knock on, then hess drops someone and doesn't even get penalised for it, then have a blatant penalty ignored that gives you the ball 10m out with a few tackles spare before fulltime.

Yes 2004 was along time ago but f&*k you anyway

Danish

Referee
hopefully we win the roosters get someone called back who was in the clear for a BS knock on, then hess drops someone and doesn't even get penalised for it, then have a blatant penalty ignored that gives you the ball 10m out with a few tackles spare before fulltime.

Yes 2004 was along time ago but f&*k you anyway

Pretty sure Ricko got penalised for giving Fein the mother of all bitch slaps, both in terms of the cowboys getting a penalty on the day and also missing the grand final the following week.

Lets also not forget that LOD went full Terry Lamb on Mick Crocker that game. Knocked into the next dimension about 4km off the ball but remained on the field.

I don't recall the knock on/no knock on thing, but I do recall some sort of accidental offside incident at the end that wasn't called. We were up by 3 though so a penalty goal wouldn't have helped.

beave

Coach
Pretty sure Ricko got penalised for giving Fein the mother of all bitch slaps, both in terms of the cowboys getting a penalty on the day and also missing the grand final the following week.

Lets also not forget that LOD went full Terry Lamb on Mick Crocker that game. Knocked into the next dimension about 4km off the ball but remained on the field.

I don't recall the knock on/no knock on thing, but I do recall some sort of accidental offside incident at the end that wasn't called. We were up by 3 though so a penalty goal wouldn't have helped.

Roosters knocked on, Nathan Fien picked up the ball and streaked away untouched about
40m out and would have scored under the posts but Simpkins blew the whistle and called it back for a scrum. Cowboys feed. No advantage was played and it wasn't a double knock on so f**k knows where that call came from.

And Ricko didnt bitch slap Fein, it was worse than that. He blind sided him with a forearm from the side mate. I had beers with Fieny after the game at Coogee and he was complaining about having to get his teeth sorted out before he moved to NZ the following month and dropped his lip show us the damage, his front lower teeth were pushed back at 90degrees (obviously he only wore a top mouth guard). Sure we got the penalty but f**k me he should have been sent to the bin at least. That rule has always been in place.

The offside thing was in the dying moments, we put up a bomb, mini went up for it and dropped it, Walker came through from an offside position and picked it up, probably should have been a penalty to us (down by 3). Instead of allowing a tap and who knows what would have happened, Simpkins ordered a scrum, Cowboys rushed to the scrum, formed it hoooter went off and Simpkins blew game over. Was a f**ked way to end the game. I'm not saying we would have taken a tap and spread it and then odds on to score, but we were denied the rightful opportunity to take a tap.

Tommy Smith

Referee
You remember that game way too well given it was 13 years ago!

But at least you're not one of the crazies who still refuses to admit that Robert Lui's touch was a textbook knock on :D

TheFrog

Coach
We beat the same Cowboys team in rnd 21 (only missing Fensom) despite missing Lord Cordner, Jake Friend and Michael Gordon.
Six points wasn't it? I guess that means you only have to turn up to win this game then. Manly syndrome. They were thinking about how they could beat the Broncos when they were preparing to play the Panthers.

We are the only side left that has the ability to push them IMO
Glad you put IMO at the end. The Cowboys forward performance of the last two finals would push any team on Earth, even the Storm, and especially if they can continue to complete at levels other teams can only dream of. The danger is that they may run out of steam but they looked to have plenty the other day.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ok we give up.

No one can beat the Cowboys. No one on Earth apparently lolol What is this, Space Jam?

We might as well not turn up. I'll go and tell the boys now to save them the pain and effort on Saturday night.

beave

Coach
You remember that game way too well given it was 13 years ago!

But at least you're not one of the crazies who still refuses to admit that Robert Lui's touch was a textbook knock on :D

Mate I think Lui knocked on, no doubts about it. We should have played better in the first half than blaming a 50/50 call at the end for our loss.

And same again with the sharks 7th tackle try bullshit. Carney was on one leg the whole game and we barely tested him, they should have looked at themselves before throwing shit the refs way. I have kept out of the commentary of the sharks/Cowbs game from
2 weeks ago as I have my own feelings about the whole game that I will keep to myself for fear of inflaming cronulla fans.

And on that game from '04 against the chooks, that whole
5 week period leading into and during the finals was an amazing time to be an NQ fan. I had just moved back to Tvl from Sydney and flew down for the dogs semi out of wanting to be there just to be a part of history (our first finals game). I had been to some pretty f**ked NQ games during the mid 90's- early 2k's in Sydney so I guess to see them evolve under Muzz and finally 'make it' was a real special feeling.

But to then beat the form team of the comp at their ground (dogs fans were amazing that night, they were congratulating us en masse and there was a genuine feeling of good will towards the 500 of us that came down) and then have a game against brisbane shifted to Tvl (i slept out for tickets at the stadium) and then beat them for the first time in 10 years and then head down to Sydney again to watch them put up a hell of a fight against the Chooks, I look back at the period with fond memories mate and remember it like yesterday.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I too lived in Townsville at the time and flew down to Sydney for the Prelim.

The buzz around the Ville at the time was immense, especially for that awesome final vs the Broncos.

That momentum carried over I guess into 2005.

Seriously can't believe it was 13 years ago...

beave

Coach
I too lived in Townsville at the time and flew down to Sydney for the Prelim.

The buzz around the Ville at the time was immense, especially for that awesome final vs the Broncos.

That momentum carried over I guess into 2005.

Seriously can't believe it was 13 years ago...

Same mate. It feels like yesterday.

The feeling at full time against the Broncos was only beaten by the '15 GF feeling. The crowd that nigh in '04 was the loudest I've ever heard it at DFS. Every person in that 27k crowd rode every pass, every tackle.

It was the night the club finally came of age and showed what all us NQers knew from the start what the club and region could do.

To actually still have a club after coming into the comp at the most f**ked time the game has ever seen is a credit to the people of the North and I know this will burn a lot of people, but News Limited as well. When the club nearly went under they came in and took control and got the joint sorted out both finacially and personnel wise. Appointing Frank Stanton and then Denis Keefe as well as Peter Parr and Graham Murray as coach for me was the turning point of the club. News didnt have to do it, but they did.

Without them, we'd have no club.

King hit

Coach
@beave

Not very long ago I watched that 2004 Cowboys v broncos semi and even on tv the atmosphere was incredible. I remember watching it in 2004 as well but I was 9 at the time so don't have a clear memory. The Cowboys defence that night was incredible. I also remember very well that preliminary final. I was in Toowoomba that weekend for the carnival and my grandad who loved his footy couldn't wait to watch the game and went on about how Matty Bowen was going to rip the Roosters. Was a cracker of a game that one and would love to see it again. I remember the finish and being so thrilled that Freddy scored and that his career wasn't over yet.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I remember stu Kelly dropping a sitter with only the line in front of him in that 04 finbal and between sitting and being airborne with arms raised my beer slipped out of the stubbie holder/wicket keeper glove I had that xxxx were giving out at the time and went straight into the ceiling fan.

The noise that made nearly matched the crowd at the time

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
I like the Cows and i'm definitely looking forward to the game. If the Cows complete like they did against the eels they will definitely give us a run for our money.... Especially considering our tendency this year to only play for about 60 minutes.. if we do that here they will get us easy.

One thing's for sure ill be on whoever wins in the Grand final against the shit merkin Broncos or the even shittier merkin Storm...

The Beaver

Juniors
Same mate. It feels like yesterday.

The feeling at full time against the Broncos was only beaten by the '15 GF feeling. The crowd that nigh in '04 was the loudest I've ever heard it at DFS. Every person in that 27k crowd rode every pass, every tackle.

It was the night the club finally came of age and showed what all us NQers knew from the start what the club and region could do.

To actually still have a club after coming into the comp at the most f**ked time the game has ever seen is a credit to the people of the North and I know this will burn a lot of people, but News Limited as well. When the club nearly went under they came in and took control and got the joint sorted out both finacially and personnel wise. Appointing Frank Stanton and then Denis Keefe as well as Peter Parr and Graham Murray as coach for me was the turning point of the club. News didnt have to do it, but they did.

Without them, we'd have no club.

News limited hey, thanks for the reminder. Go the Chooks.