What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Prelim Final, Sat - Roosters 16-29 Cowboys @ Allianz

Finals Week 3: Roosters v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elyod138

Bench
The Cow's depleted team destroyed the Roosters in the first half last time they met, then the Roosters came out and destroyed the Cowboys in the 2nd half.

Should be a good game, the Cowboys are a lot more battle hardened since then. Fensom was a big loss in that first game and Corey Jensen has improved a lot in the past few weeks. Hess is back in form now too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We beat the same Cowboys team in rnd 21 (only missing Fensom) despite missing Lord Cordner, Jake Friend and Michael Gordon.

Just the addition of Cordner is enormous for us. He may well be a God - similar to Thor - as we've only lost 4 games this year where he's played.

His addition makes us a 10pt better team, let alone adding Friend and Gordon. So if we beat the Cows without them then if we play disciplined footy I say we win by 10.
That Cowboys team was struggling to adapt to life without Thurston. The current team isn't.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The current Cowboys team lost 6/7 before heading into the finals.

And now they've beaten two teams who played simply atrocious with appalling completion rates everyone is talking them up like they're the '94 Raiders.

Hilarious.

I don't doubt that it'll be a tough game, and I admire the Cowboys guts and determination; but it'll be won or lost on our terms.

Our best accounts for the JT-less Cowboys best every time.

Cordner is our best player and we still beat them without him. And without our 1 & 9. Add those in and I reckon it equates to more value than Fensom lol

Tommy Smith

Referee
I don't doubt that, but I happen to think that you will lose on your terms...
Quite possible.

We've made more bonehead plays than the other 15 teams combined.

We've legit bombed about 7 tries in the past 3 games. Not half chances either, but full blown bombed tries.

I'm just confident that we'll put it together this week. Perhaps it's misplaced confidence.

elyod138

Bench
The current Cowboys team lost 6/7 before heading into the finals.

And now they've beaten two teams who played simply atrocious with appalling completion rates everyone is talking them up like they're the '94 Raiders.

Hilarious.

I don't doubt that it'll be a tough game, and I admire the Cowboys guts and determination; but it'll be won or lost on our terms.

Our best accounts for the JT-less Cowboys best every time.

Cordner is our best player and we still beat them without him. And without our 1 & 9. Add those in and I reckon it equates to more value than Fensom lol

You need to look further into those 6/7 games though. It wasn't the exact team either, several players have only just come back in the last couple of weeks.

The Cowboys were up for a lot of those games and would have won some of them if it weren't for several injuries gained during three or four of them. If I remember correctly, in at least three of those games the Cowboys had one player on the bench for the whole second half. They also had second rowers at centre and Linnett on the wing and got absolutely owned down that side in multiple games when backs got injured early.

They still played well and competed but ran out of energy at the end of the game. Every team would struggle win games with one player left on the bench for more than half a game, let alone for 3-4 games in a row.

The remaining players had to make up for it by playing longer minutes at a greater intensity. The Cowboys have effectively been in finals mode for two months now in terms of intensity and desperation.

The people looking at our team now and only seeing Scott and JT missing and dismissing the injury crisis (which is still dumb when one is the best player in the world and the other is one of the best forwards) either have a narrow view or haven't been paying attention to what has happened to the Cowboys during games in the last couple of months.

Last edited:

pantherz9103

First Grade
Refused to join Super League instead of selling their soul to Rupert and as a result picked up a Loyal coach and future immortal?

I have plenty of other reasons to not like them- capitalise on other club's junior systems, latte sippers, Mitchell Pearce, Blake Ferguson etc etc

Fittler an immortal? maybe but not definitely. Just how many immortals are there going to be?..

grouch

First Grade
Roosters are very beatable. A pretty weak and unconvincing Broncos side just about knocked them off in the first semi. I like the Cowboys chances

beave

Coach
The teams match up well and the Cows don't need to rely on the ref so much (unlike Penrith Manly Cronulla) to score points.
Should be a great game.

My comment (and I'll make it a "NRL loves Roosters conspiracy" because that what we do here)
Why dose the team who finished second (Roosters) get to play the team who came eighth (Cowboys)?
While first (Storm) plays the team who finished 3rd(Broncos)?!
Even if the eels won, forth would still play second meaning all advantage from been top seed is lost after week one.
It make you realise that this afl system the NRL copied is f@cked and pretty much shows the level of dumb that walks the halls of our major sporting codes.
*I'm sure uncle nick has something to do with it...

We actually had this finals system before the AFL did............. we just went to the Mcintyre for a while.

Willie Ray

Bench
I have plenty of other reasons to not like them- capitalise on other club's junior systems, latte sippers, Mitchell Pearce, Blake Ferguson etc etc

Fittler an immortal? maybe but not definitely. Just how many immortals are there going to be?..
I thought Fergo was more of a breezer sipper.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Cowboys keep surprising everyone but you can only go so far on adrenalin. Roosters fresh legs will be the decisive factor.

Roosters by 14.

Life's Good

Coach
I have nothing against the Roosters(they are such a great example of cap management)so it wouldn't bother me if they win. On the other hand the Cowboys are becoming a bit of a fairytale that I am enjoying watching but I think they will run out of steam.
Roosters by 6 in a tense battle.

Latest posts