What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Squad

Vic Mackey

Referee
Squad seems set in stone now, from the clubs website:

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/11/22/wests_tigers_2017_pl.html

Wests Tigers can confirm the following NRL roster changes for the 2017 season with pre-season training now underway.

Following on from the addition of Jamal Idris, Wests Tigers can also confirm the signing of hooker Matt McIlwrick from the Cronulla Sharks.

The 25-year-old has played 29 NRL games across three Clubs since making his first-grade debut in 2012 for the Canberra Raiders.

Wests Tigers have also re-signed a number of existing players, with Jack Littlejohn, Justin Hunt and Rod Griffin agreeing to new contracts with the NRL squad.

Forwards Matt Eisenhuth and Wesley Lolo also join the full-time extended NRL squad on new deals, alongside a host of talented Holden Cup graduates.

Wests Tigers can also confirm the departure of Chance Peni, Tyler Cassel and Dallas Graham, who were off contract at the end of 2016 and not re-signed. Nathan Milone, who was a member of the NRL squad in 2016, has also re-signed but on a part-time contract.

2017 Wests Tigers Memberships are on sale! Show your support and sign up today!
2017 NRL SQUAD — New Players

Ryland Jacobs (from Wests Tigers Holden Cup)

Esan Marsters (from Wests Tigers Holden Cup)

Junior Tatola (from Wests Tigers Holden Cup)

Taniela Paseka (from Wests Tigers Holden Cup)

Matt Eisenhuth (from Wests Tigers Intrust Super Premiership)

Wesley Lolo (from Wests Tigers Intrust Super Premiership)

Matt McIlwrick (from Cronulla Sharks)

Jamal Idris (Free agent)

2017 NRL SQUAD — Re-Signings

Elijah Taylor

Jack Littlejohn

Justin Hunt

Rod Griffin

2017 NRL SQUAD — Departed Players

Chance Peni (not re-signed)

Tyler Cassel (not re-signed)

Dallas Graham (not re-signed)

Nathan Milone (part-time Wests Tigers squad)

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'm a bit surprised about Cassel. I was interested to see if his experience with the Scotland side would give the ability to set up next year

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am a bit disappointed we haven't signed a current international or current SOO this year but I accept we are all but broke. If we are broke and can't buy anyone else and the club want to run with who we have and bring in the juniors like they are proposing I think in 3 or 4 years we will have a very strong side.

My main concern is this club has ridiculous management and we will develop some of these kids to be of a high standard and they will get plundered by other bigger and more financial clubs. If you want to build a club around these juniors we have to keep them for a few years to get the value out of them.

Players we bring on to an NRL level will leave the club for more money and premierships. The management needs to make a stance, if we want to go with younger players, don't pay overs for them and lock them away for 3 to 4 years OR we go out and buy proven NRL players in the hope we can buy a premiership.

Money is going to be critical this year in securing all the players off contract. It scares me the money that will be thrown at Tedesco and probably Moses. We will end up with Brooks and nothing else if we are not careful.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Also on the 2017 team, Cherrington must be spitting leaving the club. Looks like the Sharkies are after Segeyaro so if that happens Cherrington will again be playing second fiddle to the top hooker.

Shredder

Juniors
Im just wondering how long it will take us to be clear of back dated contracts.

Presumably with bringing on juniors, we pay less - thats the whole point of having a junior nursery.

To me it makes sense for us to have about 80% of our roster as juniors on unders so that we can pay overs for superstar players that fit a hole.

We have been pretty much on the back of juniors since day one (other than that crazy spending spree in our first year.... Matt Seers....) and yet we still seem not to have any cash to go after monster players.

Are we still putting outside the 25 players in our top cap????

BrotherJim05

Bench
The NRL need to bring in a discount for players who have come through the junior ranks, otherwise there is no incentive for clubs to invest in junior development.

I think 2018 will see the beginning of Tiger's clean slate. We won't be paying out any players to play at other clubs and with all the players off contract we can set ourselves up for success.

macnaz

Staff member
Milone and NRL shouldnt even be in the same sentence... partime or not . Who the f**k is making these wacky calls ?

Tiger Ted

Bench
There's no doubt that Milone is very well connected @ this moronic club.This pathetic liability isn't even a competent park footballer.

This inept club is riddled with the consequences of the old boys' network.Its also the only way Taylor got the coaching job as this certainly wasn't a merit based selection !

Clifferd

Coach
Tbh I haven't ever seen Milone dominate at NYC or state level yet he's somehow considered in the nrl squad??

BrotherJim05

Bench
Random question but what do people think about Sue playing in the 2nd row? He has the size and athletiscism to be playing there, but would that mean we are losing out on one of our best props?

I really like Aloai but he is young and needs time to get his minutes up. Wouldn't mind seeing a pack like this:

8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Ava
11. Lawrence
12. Sue
13. ET

14. Liddle
15. Grant
16. Felise
17. Aloai

We might have trouble against bigger packs but this is a solid rotation

Vic Mackey

Referee
Random question but what do people think about Sue playing in the 2nd row? He has the size and athletiscism to be playing there, but would that mean we are losing out on one of our best props?

I really like Aloai but he is young and needs time to get his minutes up. Wouldn't mind seeing a pack like this:

8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Ava
11. Lawrence
12. Sue
13. ET

14. Liddle
15. Grant
16. Felise
17. Aloai

yeah id like sue a bit wider. he started there last year, went well and then randomly got moved back into the middle for seeimgly no reason. in fact i believe he recorded 0 missed tackles in 4 games or something like that. we saw late this year he moved a bit wider later in the games with great effect, scoring great tries against the warriors and cowboys.

plus we have a glut of front rowers. woods, grant and ava are all proven first graders. Felisse was the stand out prop in the whole NYC for the last 2 years then we have Tatola (junior kangaroo), jordan grant (nsw cup team player of the year), and Paeska (biggest unit ive ever seen) waiting in the wings.

then when you look at our edge options its a reformed center in lawrence, a 1 year rookie in aloiai, lovett and MCK who will never be stars and a bunch of kids. it would make a lot of sense to have Sue as our right edge forward imo and your pack looks a lot better then what we had last year IMO

magpie guy

Juniors
yeah id like sue a bit wider. he started there last year, went well and then randomly got moved back into the middle for seeimgly no reason. in fact i believe he recorded 0 missed tackles in 4 games or something like that. we saw late this year he moved a bit wider later in the games with great effect, scoring great tries against the warriors and cowboys.

plus we have a glut of front rowers. woods, grant and ava are all proven first graders. Felisse was the stand out prop in the whole NYC for the last 2 years then we have Tatola (junior kangaroo), jordan grant (nsw cup team player of the year), and Paeska (biggest unit ive ever seen) waiting in the wings.

then when you look at our edge options its a reformed center in lawrence, a 1 year rookie in aloiai, lovett and MCK who will never be stars and a bunch of kids. it would make a lot of sense to have Sue as our right edge forward imo and your pack looks a lot better then what we had last year IMO

Having Sue and Idris on the right would give Moses two big units as passing options. Would also give him more room to run the ball if there were two genuine threats next to him to keep the defence occupied.

Clifferd

Coach

8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Ava
11. Lawrence
12. Sue
13. ET

14. Liddle
15. Grant
16. Felise
17. Aloai

That's probably our best pack but Jason Taylor is our coach and him and common sense don't go in the same sentence

My main concern is hoping ballin can stay largely injury free so liddle can ease himself into 1st grade. Potentially a superstar in the making if done correctly

super_coach

First Grade
Backrow is our archilies heel. Aloio could be a good one but at present he is a kid learning his trade. Lawrence has heart as big as Texas, but by mid season last year looked like a guy who had gone 15 rounds with Ali. Goods sides have great backrows and ours is average.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Just looking for the thoughts of other supporters as to whether Taylor could move from lock to second row? I personally think he'd go OK there with Lawrence and that would allow Sue to play lock, where I think he would be successful.

While I am at it, what do people think of Chee Kam playing centre and moving Simona to wing. I saw a bit of Chee Kam at the Raiders a few years ago and I really thought centre was his spot. He is faster than you think and I just feel he would tighten up our defence in the backs but still add enough to bust tackles and set up Simona. I think Nofo, Idris, MCK and Simona would go well.

It is a pretty quiet time of the year so I thought I'd seek some comments.....cheers.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The problem with Chee Kam in the centres is that he has never passed the ball in his life. Whoever is stuck outside would be solely a dummy half running and that would be a waste of Simona's talent

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just looking for the thoughts of other supporters as to whether Taylor could move from lock to second row? I personally think he'd go OK there with Lawrence and that would allow Sue to play lock, where I think he would be successful.

While I am at it, what do people think of Chee Kam playing centre and moving Simona to wing. I saw a bit of Chee Kam at the Raiders a few years ago and I really thought centre was his spot. He is faster than you think and I just feel he would tighten up our defence in the backs but still add enough to bust tackles and set up Simona. I think Nofo, Idris, MCK and Simona would go well.

It is a pretty quiet time of the year so I thought I'd seek some comments.....cheers.

Re ET when we first signed him I thought it was to play second row. However all the panthers fans shot me down and said he was average when he played there yet exceptional at lock. I think they were proven right.

If you listen to the Moses interview on the WT he credits ET for helping him take his game to the next level. With ET getting a lot of ball at first receiver it helps Mitch and Luke run onto the ball a bit wider then they would getting it straight off the ruck. His defence in the middle is also invaluable so whilst our edge forwards are our weakness, I'd be loathe to move him. I would however like to see Sue moved to the right edge again.

I liked what I saw of MCK in every opportunity he got last year and would think he is probably first back up option at centre.

Latest posts