What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

carcharias

Immortal
So the sharks are gonna plea to the league to have this game in the future always on a sunday
which is good sentiment. its the better timeslot for this game.

however, its not like the game snuck up out of the bushes ..we have known about this since November.

So...what did the club do to ensure a bigger crowd? given we KNOW that the Thursday games last year were bad for crowds
(if you averaged our three Thursday games at home last year the Av is 9320...which is poor)

a more proactive approach to these games is needed

Well I know they did request this game be played on a Sunday.
Way before the draw was done.
NRL said ...here ya go, have a Thursday night instead.

As far as proactive
There are telegraph pole posters all the way out of the shire advertising the derby.
Tom uglys side . Not sure about the other side.
Plus
Up the local woollies they have TV screens hanging from the roof in the arcade area showing the promo on a loop.
Plus radio has been advertising it pretty regularly.

Thursday night is hard
Kids footy and soccer training starts tonight
Plus the game doesn’t start until 8.05 pm
My kids are getting yelled at by 8.15 to go to bed.

That’s a lot of people who will not go.
I’m going ( I usually take both my sons ) but they won’t be going tonight.
It’s too late for them.

applesauce

Bench
I imagine a higher view will cut out the problem of restricted views.

...but does it make you any closer?

If I hammer a nail in the ground and tie a Ten foot piece of string to it.
Is the other end of the string closer to nail when it’s laid out straight on the ground or up in the air directly above the nail?

:)

And you're the bloke casting stones about Peter Beattie. :rolleyes:

When you pass grade 7 math your opinion can be considered by the adults.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
And you're the bloke casting stones about Peter Beattie. :rolleyes:

When you pass grade 7 math your opinion can be considered by the adults.
Ha
Well come on
Explain it then.
Are you actually any closer to the field ?

Remembering of course you’ll need to read my original question.
Don’t go jumping to conclusions now.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Ha
Well come on
Explain it then.
Are you actually any closer to the field ?

Remembering of course you’ll need to read my original question.
Don’t go jumping to conclusions now.
25m up is much closer to the centre of the field that 25m back. It feels like you are right on top of the play.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I imagine a higher view will cut out the problem of restricted views.

...but does it make you any closer?

If I hammer a nail in the ground and tie a Ten foot piece of string to it.
Is the other end of the string closer to nail when it’s laid out straight on the ground or up in the air directly above the nail?

:)

Well I don't know about ANZ in Sydney because I haven't been there but I've been to the old ANZ Stadium in Brisbane (Broncos home from 1993 to 2001) and to the new Suncorp and the difference as best I can explain is that yes, the top back row at Suncorp is much closer than the top back row at ANZ (awful ground). Each vertical rise between rows at Suncorp is less than the distance of the horizontal space between rows at ANZ so you do end up closer even though you are higher.

Other than that, the viewing position of a live game is great from a close-in high angle as you really get a great perspective of the whole game and the plays. It is different with the TV example because the TV is only showing a 2D picture.

carcharias

Immortal
Well I don't know about ANZ in Sydney because I haven't been there but I've been to the old ANZ Stadium in Brisbane (Broncos home from 1993 to 2001) and to the new Suncorp and the difference as best I can explain is that yes, the top back row at Suncorp is much closer than the top back row at ANZ (awful ground). Each vertical rise between rows at Suncorp is less than the distance of the horizontal space between rows at ANZ so you do end up closer even though you are higher.

Other than that, the viewing position of a live game is great from a close-in high angle as you really get a great perspective of the whole game and the plays. It is different with the TV example because the TV is only showing a 2D picture.

Ok

I’m going to answer it for everyone.

The question was asked
Why do they make the seats steeper
Or something along those lines.

Perth Red said something about it getting you closer to the ground.
Which is not really right.
The actual real reason is to overcome obstructed views.

Now if you raised a current stadium up steeper you be exactly the same distance away from the field.
Only difference is you’d be higher up.

To get seats closer you’d need to start the seats closer to the sideline and change the entire design of the seating layout.
Eg: get rid of tiers and maybe reduce legroom.

Same goes for a brand new steep style stadium.
Pick a spot on the feild.
If you change the degree of the stands you will still be exactly the same distance away from the spot on the feild.

Place your elbow on a table and your hand straight up in the air.
Measure the distance from tip of index finger to tip of your elbow.
Now lay your arm flat or at any degree you want.
Measure it again.
It will always been the same.

It’s all about unobstructed views.

The steepness itself is another issue though.
Old people must find it a nightmare to walk up and down.

Oh and the stadium footprint would be smaller.
That can be a factor as well I guess

Last edited:

PJ

First Grade
Huh?
25m up is further than 25m back?

Yes, it is. Use Pythagoras theorem.

Stands start from the edge of the ground.

Specs for ground are 68m wide and 3m for minimum around. So from the centre of ground to sideline is 37m.

Looking at the view to the start of the ground where the stand starts say we go 25m meters back and raise 10m gives an actual distance of spectator to the start of grandstand 26.93m.

For up 25 then back 10m for same result of 26.93m to the start of the ground.

So we have the respective distances back and up for each type now we add the distance to the centre of the ground from the start of the stand, which is 37m.

For the 25m horixontal the vertical stays at 10m and the horizontal becomes 25+ 26.93=51.93 and the spectator distance is 52.89.

For the 25m up the horizontal distance becomes 47m and the vertical remains at 25m and the spectator viewing is 48m.

applesauce

Bench
Ok

I’m going to answer it for everyone.

The question was asked
Why do they make the seats steeper
Or something along those lines.

Perth Red said something about it getting you closer to the ground.
Which is not really right.
The actual real reason is to overcome obstructed views.

Now if you raised a current stadium up steeper you be exactly the same distance away from the field.

To get seats closer you’d need to start the seats closer to the sideline and change the entire design of the seating layout.

If you change the degree of the stands you will still be exactly the same distance away from the spot on the feild.

Measure it again.

It’s all about unobstructed views.

The steepness itself is another issue though.
Old people must find it a nightmare to walk up and down.

Oh and the stadium footprint would be smaller.
That can be a factor as well I guess

YOU ARE ASSUMING A 1:1 RATIO OF VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL DISPLACEMENT. :rolleyes:

That ratio does not exist in stadium design (you don't go up as much as you go back to fit more rows).

carcharias

Immortal
Yes, it is. Use Pythagoras theorem.

Stands start from the edge of the ground.

Specs for ground are 68m wide and 3m for minimum around. So from the centre of ground to sideline is 37m.

Looking at the view to the start of the ground where the stand starts say we go 25m meters back and raise 10m gives an actual distance of spectator to the start of grandstand 26.93m.

For up 25 then back 10m for same result of 26.93m to the start of the ground.

So we have the respective distances back and up for each type now we add the distance to the centre of the ground from the start of the stand, which is 37m.

For the 25m horixontal the vertical stays at 10m and the horizontal becomes 25+ 26.93=51.93 and the spectator distance is 52.89.

For the 25m up the horizontal distance becomes 47m and the vertical remains at 25m and the spectator viewing is 48m.

You are correct
My mistake.
I was doing my maths from end of stadium and not a point on the feild.

The actual distance you gain is virtually nothing though....and you are still higher .

However the view is much better.

PJ

First Grade
You are correct
My mistake.
I was doing my maths from end of stadium and not a point on the feild.

The actual distance you gain is virtually nothing though....and you are still higher .

However the view is much better.

Virtually nothing isn't quite right either. I didn't change the elevation for the second equation, which would likely need to increase and thus increase the distance further.

Makes a difference.

carcharias

Immortal
Virtually nothing isn't quite right either. I didn't change the elevation for the second equation, which would likely need to increase and thus increase the distance further.

Makes a difference.

Do you think you could tell the difference from the back row?

Valheru

Coach

Measure it again.

This is just incorrect.

Increasing the steepness of the stadium would definitely make the seats closer on the horizontal axis because the point of a line on the horizontal axis decreases as the vertical increases. for example a line drawn at 45 degrees on a graph would have coordinates on a given point of the line equidistant on the vertical and horizontal axis . Anything between 0 and 44 degrees and your vertical co-ordinate would be greater than the horizontal and vice versa if the gradient is between 46 and 90 degrees.

The elbow analogy is wrong because of course you are going to get the same length from tip of finger to elbow as your arm length doesn't change. What you should be measuring in that experiment is the point of your finger in relation to the desk i.e. laying your arm flat you might get say 30cm but raise your elbow 45 degrees and measure from the point on your desk your finger is aligned to and you will get a lesser measurement.

carcharias

Immortal
This is just incorrect.

Increasing the steepness of the stadium would definitely make the seats closer on the horizontal axis because the point of a line on the horizontal axis decreases as the vertical increases. for example a line drawn at 45 degrees on a graph would have coordinates on a given point of the line equidistant on the vertical and horizontal axis . Anything between 0 and 44 degrees and your vertical co-ordinate would be greater than the horizontal and vice versa if the gradient is between 46 and 90 degrees.

The elbow analogy is wrong because of course you are going to get the same length from tip of finger to elbow as your arm length doesn't change. What you should be measuring in that experiment is the point of your finger in relation to the desk i.e. laying your arm flat you might get say 30cm but raise your elbow 45 degrees and measure from the point on your desk your finger is aligned to and you will get a lesser measurement.
Way ahead of you

PJ

First Grade
Do you think you could tell the difference from the back row?

My personal experience has been that I prefer high seating stadiums, so I guess yes.

Always felt I get a much better idea of how the game is flowing with a more aerial view.

carcharias

Immortal
My personal experience has been that I prefer high seating stadiums, so I guess yes.

Always felt I get a much better idea of how the game is flowing with a more aerial view.
Realistically we are talking about 3 or 4 seats forward?

Back row of ANZ Homebush must be already about as steep as you can get them.