What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

PJ

First Grade
Realistically we are talking about 3 or 4 seats forward?

Back row of ANZ Homebush must be already about as steep as you can get them.

I really don't know how many extra seats forward.

Just my preference is up higher rather than further back.

T-Boon

Coach
All i know is that AAMI park is f**kin great and we don't have these problems.

That is what the SFS should be based on except with cool lights like that Perth stadium. SFS should be 30k capacity maximum. But they should also say to the SCG trust that is the last grant you are getting for the next 50 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So the sharks are gonna plea to the league to have this game in the future always on a sunday
which is good sentiment. its the better timeslot for this game.

however, its not like the game snuck up out of the bushes ..we have known about this since November.

So...what did the club do to ensure a bigger crowd? given we KNOW that the Thursday games last year were bad for crowds
(if you averaged our three Thursday games at home last year the Av is 9320...which is poor)

a more proactive approach to these games is needed

I suspect this is a good indicator of just how much control the NRL has over fixtures despite all we were led to believe. There is no way you wouldn't be playing this game in a better timeslot unless A) The NRL are totally incompetent or B) Ch9 insisted on it being the Thursday night game

Perth Red

Post Whore
No because the top tiers of homebush are placed to start from back tier of the lower elevations so again they are starting further back than they would if bottom tiers were significantly ore elevated. That pic of the proposed new stand clearly shows that all levels are closer to the action once you start changing the lower tier angles. Having experienced it at Nib it is quite staggering how much difference it "feels" even if it isn't massive metres we are talking.

I suspect this is a good indicator of just how much control the NRL has over fixtures despite all we were led to believe. There is no way you wouldn't be playing this game in a better timeslot unless A) The NRL are totally incompetent or B) Ch9 insisted on it being the Thursday night game

probably both
carch is right we specifically asked the NRL..

last day time derby crowd was 17946.
But then again if we aren't on nine we whinge that theres not enough to attract great sponsor dollars etc.

I wonder if purely on a cost basis if playing at the sfs or anz would be better if there was guaranteed revenue regardless of the crowd.

Well I know they did request this game be played on a Sunday.
Way before the draw was done.
NRL said ...here ya go, have a Thursday night instead.

As far as proactive
There are telegraph pole posters all the way out of the shire advertising the derby.
Tom uglys side . Not sure about the other side.
Plus
Up the local woollies they have TV screens hanging from the roof in the arcade area showing the promo on a loop.
Plus radio has been advertising it pretty regularly.

Thursday night is hard
Kids footy and soccer training starts tonight
Plus the game doesn’t start until 8.05 pm
My kids are getting yelled at by 8.15 to go to bed.

That’s a lot of people who will not go.
I’m going ( I usually take both my sons ) but they won’t be going tonight.
It’s too late for them.

Well thasts Good. However, I would argue carch, that that is what we have always done. The posters on poles etc.

so..we need to be thinking a little further outside the box in terms of these dumb Thursday shit for families and crowds games.

the kids thing is legit
I went to two of the Thursday games last season and there were way less families and kids.

OldPanther

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ru...g/news-story/4cf222e885576dfa42c6bb790de40958

Rugby league is alienating fans in a sport where TV is king

OPINION

LIKE many others my children were hanging for the NRL season to kick off again.

For weekends to be spent watching the footy and for the family tipping comp to cause regular arguments over dinner each week.

But already another argument has started in our house.

“Can we go to the footy?”

It’s local derby day and as a family split down the middle with Cronulla Sharks and St George Illawarra Dragons fans this is generally a big affair in our house.

Well it would have been, if the local derby wasn’t being played in the infamous 8.05pm Thursday night spot.

For us it’s an hour trip to and from most grounds and with an 8.05pm kick off that means not getting home before 11pm — at the absolute earliest. Something that for us, and most other families, is just unrealistic on a school night.

While staying up to watch the game at home is hard enough, getting to the game in person is absolutely out of the question.

In a world where TV is king and actual game attendance numbers seem of little concern to those who call the shots, fans find themselves left to be sucked into the TV vortex that pushes sporting coverage to after dark and beyond.

So here we are stuck in a Thursday evening limbo, not headed to the game, but forced to wait until 8.05pm before we can even begin to cheer on our teams as they run onto the field.

We’re up against a digital world that calls for ubiquitous news coverage, with Channel Nine airing no less than four separate news based shows between 3pm and 7.30pm, only then to be faced with a half-hour long preamble to discuss the game we’re already struggling to stay awake for.

While the preamble gives has-been stars a chance to relive their glory days and can highlight the occasional points of interest, it punishes fans and is completely unnecessary for the viewership in order to enjoy the game.

Let’s not forget that this apparently beneficial preamble then pushes the new, and arguably, improved The Footy Show into what might as well be oblivion with a 9.55pm start time. Which, of course, will then inevitably be delayed with golden-point matches or any interruptions to planned broadcasts.

Even if I manage to stay awake to see the 80 minutes draw to a close I’m going to struggle to stay awake an extra 10 minutes; barely even giving Erin Molan, Ryan Girdler and Beau Ryan the chance to revive a show that took its last breath years ago.

You only have to look at the numbers to see the impact it’s having on the game. For round one last week, Thursday night footy and The Footy Show came 15th and 16th respectively in metro free-to-air television ratings.

There were more people interested in watching celebrities eat bugs or chasing their way to a money win.

Even Gogglebox came in at a respectable 6th place. There were literally more people interested in watching other people watch TV than there were interested in game one of the 2018 NRL season.

For a sport that continues to fight its tarnished image, it seems NRL executives have forgotten one essential thing. You can’t make fans fall in love with the game they once adored if you’re not giving families a chance to actually get to the game.

While we live in a 24/7 world the late game schedules for Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays mean the reality is the next generation of NRL fans are tucked up in bed minutes after kick-off.

Unfortunately while TV money talks and already dwindling crowd numbers continue to walk it seems like the family ritual of footy weekends will continue to decline and outings to the footy will be limited to the elusive Sunday afternoon games.

morley101

Juniors

They’re still going to throw some bones to the broadcasters, they are paying hundreds of millions per year after all.

Seriously, there’s no magic bullet here that’ll please everyone.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ru...g/news-story/4cf222e885576dfa42c6bb790de40958

Rugby league is alienating fans in a sport where TV is king

Unfortunately while TV money talks and already dwindling crowd numbers continue to walk it seems like the family ritual of footy weekends will continue to decline and outings to the footy will be limited to the elusive Sunday afternoon games.
Wtf does she mean already dwindling I thought we had good crowds. Why doesn’t she put blame on news Ltd or channel nine for their role in all this? Oh that’s right

Latest posts