What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Finals Scheduling

big hit!

Bench
Other sports do need to be considered.

People will not go if the effort of getting there & getting home is made heaps harder.

it's a f**king final. rugby league fans are weak if that's their thinking.

there will be no problem for Melbourne fans getting to swan st, and you see hoards of melbourne sports attendances walking from flinders st along the river to melbourne park for games whether it be AFL, soccer, tennis, and rugby league, etc, because they've used public transport to get to the area. but soft merkins here in sydney whinge at walking the same distance from central to moore park. it's 2 metro teams, the SFS should get 35k minimum ex trust members.

penrith park shouldn't be hosting a final. no sydney metro ground that has any description of a hill should be hosting a final. ANZ is the closest all-seater stadium near their district, and untill WSS is open, ANZ is where it should be. penrith fans, just f**king go. it's at a reasonable time to allow you western merkins to get back to the riff and surrounds by 9pm. the next game (if they even have one- you'd think that's incentive enough to attend) is likely to be at SFS as it will be the home finals venue for both Easts & Cronulla at it will be even later.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The latest complaint from Panthers fans now appears to be that there's trackwork from Lithgow through to Blacktown.

Solution: get on a bus.

big hit!

Bench
The latest complaint from Panthers fans now appears to be that there's trackwork from Lithgow through to Blacktown.

have you seen merkins who live in lithgow? they should all be walking and burning some calories.

mind you, can't blame them tbh....i drove through to bathurst a few weeks ago on a sunday evening, and the only things open for food were mcdonalds, kfc, zamberos, dominos, pizza hut, subway and a chinese take away....the edible option was red rooster and it was empty as.

Card Shark

Immortal
it's a f**king final. rugby league fans are weak if that's their thinking.

there will be no problem for Melbourne fans getting to swan st, and you see hoards of melbourne sports attendances walking from flinders st along the river to melbourne park for games whether it be AFL, soccer, tennis, and rugby league, etc, because they've used public transport to get to the area. but soft merkins here in sydney whinge at walking the same distance from central to moore park. it's 2 metro teams, the SFS should get 35k minimum ex trust members.

penrith park shouldn't be hosting a final. no sydney metro ground that has any description of a hill should be hosting a final. ANZ is the closest all-seater stadium near their district, and untill WSS is open, ANZ is where it should be. penrith fans, just f**king go. it's at a reasonable time to allow you western merkins to get back to the riff and surrounds by 9pm. the next game (if they even have one- you'd think that's incentive enough to attend) is likely to be at SFS as it will be the home finals venue for both Easts & Cronulla at it will be even later.

Well we all know they are.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Try getting the train or tram

It’s a 5 minute walk at most ffs

It’s not like the game is up against two powerhouses it’s Melbourne vs Geelong.

The AFL game won’t have a single impact on numbers over at AAMI
Utter rubbish. Here is a single impact - my dad is redovering from ill health and said he can only go if he can be dropped at the gate. He resumes to get Uber or Taxi.
If it were Saturday night I would do that, then park my car somewhere. He has decided not to go now. We are both Storm members but I now have no one to go with, so we will also probably both watch from home.
Of course fanatical Storm supporters will go. But if the game Ismail going to grow, it needs to appeal to the 10k 20k casual fans who do factor timing, cost and ease of getting there into their decision. Lots of people drive to the footy - maybe half. It is a factor.

greenBV4

Bench
try getting the train or tram

It’s a 5 minute walk at most ffs

It’s not like the game is up against two powerhouses it’s Melbourne vs Geelong.

might not be 2 powerhouses but I've heard they are expecting 90,000

parking and traffic will be a nightmare, and trams and trains will be packed like sardine tins, I'll be one of those sardines but it'll definitely turn a lot of "casuals" off, and I'd also safely say any joint fans of the storm and the demons will be going to the AFL instead no questions asked.

to put it into perspective, if the Storm still get 25000, and the AFL gets 90000 - thats 115,000 people going to the same place. Melbourne's transport infrastructure is much better than Sydney's but with that many people it doesn't matter.

Timmah

Staff member
Utter rubbish. Here is a single impact - my dad is redovering from ill health and said he can only go if he can be dropped at the gate. He resumes to get Uber or Taxi.
If it were Saturday night I would do that, then park my car somewhere. He has decided not to go now. We are both Storm members but I now have no one to go with, so we will also probably both watch from home.
Of course fanatical Storm supporters will go. But if the game Ismail going to grow, it needs to appeal to the 10k 20k casual fans who do factor timing, cost and ease of getting there into their decision. Lots of people drive to the footy - maybe half. It is a factor.
That last statement is patently false lol.

Timmah

Staff member
might not be 2 powerhouses but I've heard they are expecting 90,000

parking and traffic will be a nightmare, and trams and trains will be packed like sardine tins, I'll be one of those sardines but it'll definitely turn a lot of "casuals" off, and I'd also safely say any joint fans of the storm and the demons will be going to the AFL instead no questions asked.

to put it into perspective, if the Storm still get 25000, and the AFL gets 90000 - thats 115,000 people going to the same place. Melbourne's transport infrastructure is much better than Sydney's but with that many people it doesn't matter.
"I've heard" lol its on the MCG site, they publish the expected crowd for every game. It's normally an overestimate so expect 5-10k less.

Despite these hand-wringing posts I've found Melbourne copes with multiple events reasonably well and I don't see Friday being a big deal.

greenBV4

Bench
"I've heard" lol its on the MCG site, they publish the expected crowd for every game. It's normally an overestimate so expect 5-10k less.
someone at work told me they revised it from 85000 to 90000, so yeah I heard

Despite these hand-wringing posts I've found Melbourne copes with multiple events reasonably well and I don't see Friday being a big deal.
It copes with them great but that doesn't mean it'd be just as easy as if there was only the 20,000 odd people as opposed to 100,000

The game's crowd wont be drastically effected, but Id say it'd knock a couple thousand off

sempmrh

Juniors
I used to take the train to AAMI Park but quickly found that from where I live it's about the same amount of time to drive and sometimes even faster - especially driving home. Plus, who wants to be trapped in a sardine tin? I've more or less stopped parking across the street from AAMI Park because despite the convenience it can be a pain getting in and out of there, especially if they've closed off part of Olympic Boulevard outside the stadium. I now park in the city and had no problem pre-booking a space for Friday night. Obviously it's not going to be the right option for everyone but plenty of people do it.

I come from the east of Melbourne so Hoddle Street and Wellington Parade will likely be a hassle on the way in. I fully expect part of Wellington Parade to be closed after the game at the MCG but even with the resulting bottleneck it'll still be a faster and more convenient exit than taking the train.

TheFrog

Coach

They just won't do it. Lithgow to Homebush would be maybe 4 hours on the bus plus at least two trains. Some might drive, and some will save their money for a chinese feed or three and watch it on TV.

You offer for sale a bum product and your target customers don't buy it, you cannot then blame the customers who made the decision to spend their money elsewhere. You can, but it doesn't help your bottom line. The away supporters in this one will be happy, though.

Timmah

Staff member
They just won't do it. Lithgow to Homebush would be maybe 4 hours on the bus plus at least two trains. Some might drive, and some will save their money for a chinese feed or three and watch it on TV.

You offer for sale a bum product and your target customers don't buy it, you cannot then blame the customers who made the decision to spend their money elsewhere. You can, but it doesn't help your bottom line. The away supporters in this one will be happy, though.
So it's the nrls fault there's track work on? :joy:

TheFrog

Coach
So it's the nrls fault there's track work on? :joy:
There were other more important priorities than the needs of those in the blue mountains wanting to attend a footy game. A home final at that. Should have been at Penrith. They've painted themselves into a corner with this, as is their wont. Warriors fans will make it semi-respectable but sooner or later it'll be Titans or Cowboys playing a side an hour or more from their home ground and you'll get 7,000.

If you are lamenting the likely lack of Panthers people at this game it might pay to have a look at the product they are being asked to spend their money on as their home final. Panthers supporters believe their home final should be at Penrith, especially against out of town sides.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
There were other more important priorities than the needs of those in the blue mountains wanting to attend a footy game. A home final at that. Should have been at Penrith. They've painted themselves into a corner with this, as is their wont. Warriors fans will make it semi-respectable but sooner or later it'll be Titans or Cowboys playing a side an hour or more from their home ground and you'll get 7,000.

If you are lamenting the likely lack of Panthers people at this game it might pay to have a look at the product they are being asked to spend their money on as their home final. Panthers supporters believe their home final should be at Penrith, especially against out of town sides.
Ugh.

It's been known for years that Panthers Stadium can't host a final. That's not up for debate anymore. Next

greenBV4

Bench

lobby your local member/council/leagues club for an upgrade, until then (and most likely for the foreseeable future) it makes sense for finals to be restricted to a minimum capacity stadium. If Penrith was allowed to hold a final in a stadium under the required capacity, whats to stop, lets say Manly, wanting the same for Brookvale - now that would be a bad look for the NRL

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The reason why Penrith fans are against it is because it's stupidly unnecessary. The crowd they'll get at ANZ will be less than what they would have gotten at Penrith. The NRL's just too proud to admit that their AFL model is not always practical. The only thing ANZ has over Penrith in hosting the game will be more revenue generated from corporate tickets. That's it.

Anyway, WSS coming next season. Hopefully the trend of unnecessarily building top stadiums slightly more west than the last one really close to each other in Western Sydney will mean by the 7th one it'll get to St Mary's.

Timmah

Staff member
I hope there's more than 21k there because it justifies the NRL's decision tbh

carcharias

Immortal
The reason why Penrith fans are against it is because it's stupidly unnecessary. The crowd they'll get at ANZ will be less than what they would have gotten at Penrith. The NRL's just too proud to admit that their AFL model is not always practical. The only thing ANZ has over Penrith in hosting the game will be more revenue generated from corporate tickets. That's it.

Anyway, WSS coming next season. Hopefully the trend of unnecessarily building top stadiums slightly more west than the last one really close to each other in Western Sydney will mean by the 7th one it'll get to St Mary's.

It is a shit system
Panthers don’t deserve a home ground advantage.
They came 5th
Yet Broncos get one.
They came 6th.

Finals should be all played at the SFS unless roosters are playing.
When parra is built stick unfair games go there... it’s not like parra will be using it.
GF at Homebush.
Which is still unfair if dogs or Rabbits make it.

TheFrog

Coach
It's been known for years that Panthers Stadium can't host a final.
This is understood It is not as though the decision can't be reversed in future years in the interests of a fair competition.

I just know you will criticise Panthers supporters for not supporting this game. But you fully support treating them like lepers while expecting them to blindly hand over their money. This is not how you attract customers to a business.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
whine away, facts are Homebush and the SFS are your home grounds if you are a Sydney team.

Get use it, embrace it, it ain't changing.

Latest posts