What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Marshall

Juniors
It is interesting to note the 'Dogs ISP jersey still had Jaycar on the back last weekend you'd think they wouldn't give them any free exposure after the way they cut the sponsorship.

Frailty

First Grade
It is interesting to note the 'Dogs ISP jersey still had Jaycar on the back last weekend you'd think they wouldn't give them any free exposure after the way they cut the sponsorship.

As per the previous page, Jaycar's sponsorship was already decided to not be renewed earlier in the season - NOT as a result of the Mad Monday uproar.

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
I can't belive all of this talk about the "clash". It is not a new thing. What did Newtown and Canterbury do when they went head to head for their 101 NSWRL first grade games? Please note there would have been times that Canterbury did wear the butcher stripes.

Saint Doc

Coach
I can't belive all of this talk about the "clash". It is not a new thing. What did Newtown and Canterbury do when they went head to head for their 101 NSWRL first grade games? Please note there would have been times that Canterbury did wear the butcher stripes.

So because it was shit back then, we should continue it now?

It’s called progress.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The overwhelming majority of those games weren't televised for a start.

The Marshall

Juniors
I always find it stupid that the Bulldogs and Dragons had no trouble playing in the traditional vee's up until 2000 the all of a sudden they clashed.

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
So because it was shit back then, we should continue it now?

It’s called progress.
It wasn’t shit then. Each team had simple iconic jerseys and everyone know who was playing who. On the rare occasion a clash jersey may have been Used. (which was usually the opposite of their home jersey used). Eg penrith has mainly brown with white sleeves, west’s had a white jersey with a black v. I don’t see how having a plethora of jersies with no real identity is called progress!

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
A big part of it is making the sport accessible to new audiences across different platforms. We can all tell who's playing who (most of the time) because we're rusted on fans. But its not as easy for brand new audiences to distinguish. Clear contrast between teams on the field is the easiest way of achieving this.

That accessibility extends to a whole range of aspects - social media engagement, game day entertainment, cross-promotions, etc... There's a thread with over 100 posts discussing who's playing a 4 minute song before this year's grand final. They exhume GG Allin and prop him up on stage for all I care but I understand why the NRL is doing it - they're not selling the product to us, they're selling to people who haven't bought in.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It wasn’t shit then. Each team had simple iconic jerseys and everyone know who was playing who. On the rare occasion a clash jersey may have been Used. (which was usually the opposite of their home jersey used). Eg penrith has mainly brown with white sleeves, west’s had a white jersey with a black v. I don’t see how having a plethora of jersies with no real identity is called progress!
If you posted this 5, 10 years ago, I'd agree.

But realistically, most clubs have a fairly solid core identity and home jersey - most have learned that fans appreciate classic, consistent and coherent designs.

Yes, there are annoying theme jerseys popping up too often, but as far as 'real identity' goes I actually think the NRL clubs as a whole are headed in the right direction.

kdalymc

Bench
Need clarification. Are you putting up a red herring or genuinely equating the NRL's contrast issue with that in international league?
In NRL this would be 100% a clash. We know it isn’t , and thankfully common sense provails.
But, with your formula, and with iPads/mobiles etc do you think this equates as a clash?

GAZF

First Grade
In NRL this would be 100% a clash. We know it isn’t , and thankfully common sense provails.
I disagree so you'll have to forgive my lack of common sense.
But, with your formula, and with iPads/mobiles etc do you think this equates as a clash?
The two designs contrast poorly for the purposes I've been talking about today, in my opinion (dark jersey with light double V, dark shorts, dark+light hooped socks although NZ had different socks in the Denver test).

But you have to consider context before saying a clash in international football is the same as one in the NRL. One consists of a handful of matches a year and the other has over 200. One has had fairly static designs over decades that are more identifiable to a casual observer and the other chops and changes at will while adding in a number of alternates every year. One usually has minimal sponsors and the other has sponsors to the point that they can overwhelm the base design. I don't think that we should be saying that we can't implement a proper contrast strategy to the NRL just because there isn't one in international footy.

If international rugby league wants to take itself seriously and see extended growth, we will see the need arise for established teams to adopt a clash uniform like just about every other major international team sport has done for decades. Even that religion called the All-Blacks throws a white jersey on once in a blue moon. The cynic in me says that the big three (especially Australia) are more likely to tell tier 2/3 nations to go f**k themselves and the sport will never grow significantly outside of the current countries - I'm not saying its this way because of a uniform but more that the uniform is representative of an attitude to lower tier nations. We still must consider that there is a lot of tradition in the current designs and introducing clash designs will not be easy without some sort of backlash.

I'm reaching TGD's level essays today so I'll give it a rest. Just wanted to properly explain my point.

Saint Doc

Coach

This thread feels like it just goes around in circles.

No it’s not a clash.
Yes it is poor contrast.

If I was starting international rugby league today, and there were 3 main countries (NZ, England and Australia) I would put Australia in predominantly gold.

That said, given the history, and the scarcity of the games, I wouldn’t change it.

But, in the NRL, when teams are mandated to have alternate jerseys, if the same two jerseys played each other, yes I would want a gold / white alternate

Saint Doc

Coach

The two designs contrast poorly for the purposes I've been talking about today, in my opinion (dark jersey with light double V, dark shorts, dark+light hooped socks although NZ had different socks in the Denver test).

But you have to consider context before saying a clash in international football is the same as one in the NRL. One consists of a handful of matches a year and the other has over 200. One has had fairly static designs over decades that are more identifiable to a casual observer and the other chops and changes at will while adding in a number of alternates every year. One usually has minimal sponsors and the other has sponsors to the point that they can overwhelm the base design. I don't think that we should be saying that we can't implement a proper contrast strategy to the NRL just because there isn't one in international footy.

If international rugby league wants to take itself seriously and see extended growth, we will see the need arise for established teams to adopt a clash uniform like just about every other major international team sport has done for decades. Even that religion called the All-Blacks throws a white jersey on once in a blue moon. The cynic in me says that the big three (especially Australia) are more likely to tell tier 2/3 nations to go f**k themselves and the sport will never grow significantly outside of the current countries - I'm not saying its this way because of a uniform but more that the uniform is representative of an attitude to lower tier nations. We still must consider that there is a lot of tradition in the current designs and introducing clash designs will not be easy without some sort of backlash.

I'm reaching TGD's level essays today so I'll give it a rest. Just wanted to properly explain my point.

Dammit I started posting my reply before I read this post, which explains what I was trying to say but much better!

unforgiven

Bench

Regard the backlash for clash jerseys, alternate jerseys are not a new concept in International Rugby League. The Kangaroos used to use alternate jerseys for matches against the English clubs, so marketing it as a continuation of that may eliminate some of the backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.