What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
DV9W6KAU0AAj2kI.jpg:large

Penrith alternate jersey. I like it.
They should be ashamed of themselves
That’s garbage

Stallion

First Grade
The only team that are orange. They barely use it as it is. Let’s introduce blue.

Nice thought for a good cause, but what about brand identity...

Yes. In fact they have abandoned some great strips for some crap pieces with Grey and other bland colour choices. The Black, Balmain gold and some white are a very recognisable combination and popular. They should stick to these colours with the black and gold dominating. . Yes this club is guilty of shithouse jumpers over recent times as well.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Still on Souths, the jersey sponsorship has been confirmed for 2018 and Crown is now confirmed to be on there, turns out we actually do have a proper Away jersey.

View attachment 17560

That Crown sponsorship looks like f**king rubbish.

A simple white crown and white wording would have looked so much better and actually tied in with the white collar and sleeve trim of the jersey.

Both sponsors look like they’re placed too high on the front as well. Need to be dropped down 2-3 inches

Last edited:

gzerounian

Juniors
Turns out you still don't have a proper away jersey, actually.
They're argument would be that combined with the white shorts make it a distinct away strip. Theoretically this is true but in reality the two strips look no different to eachother. A test of a good away strip would be to ask yourself "if both of your home and away strips were to play eachother in a match, would there be enough distinction?" Souths fail this test. I think their new red jersey with white shorts would be a good away jersey.

Stallion

First Grade
They're argument would be that combined with the white shorts make it a distinct away strip. Theoretically this is true but in reality the two strips look no different to eachother. A test of a good away strip would be to ask yourself "if both of your home and away strips were to play eachother in a match, would there be enough distinction?" Souths fail this test. I think their new red jersey with white shorts would be a good away jersey.

? The club is not playing itself! The club should display its colours that best convey their look and familiarity to fans and be distinct from the opposition team.

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
Who gives a f**k, when would Souths play Souths. This ain’t under 10s with 2 teams
This would be the appropriate thread to give a f**k. Its not like we're clogging up the stadiums thread with these opinions.
? The club is not playing itself! The club should display its colours that besr convey their look and familiarity to fans and be distinct from the opposition team.
@gzerounian was just providing a good litimus test for contrast, and was not meant to indicate a literal matchup.

The point is that the other clubs are held to a standard by the NRL and we believe that Souths' away design does not adequately contrast with their home one. They've managed to split their solid traditional design into two shit variations so they can sell more ad space.

The ideal for them would be to ditch the panelling, go back to a white rabbit and black shorts (maybe have a set of white alternate shorts), and wear that 90% of the time as they don't have a lot of clashes. Then they can bring in an away (clash) design that adequately contrasts with the home design but still features plenty of red and green - its not impossible to maintain a club's identity in this manner.

Have teams wear their primary design as much as possible, and provide an adequately contrasting design for occasions when it doesn't. Is that concept so hard to both grasp and execute? Its literally a middle ground between strict home/away uniforms and the impracticality of non-contrasting designs, and you still can't meet us halfway?

Travitoh

First Grade
There's a difference between a clash and away jersey.
As Souths clash with very few clubs, if any, then a clash jersey is rarely required.

However, i do agree that we should do away with the shoulder panelling and the sponsors are shocking. I would like to see the club use the 2015 9's jersey an an away kit.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This would be the appropriate thread to give a f**k. Its not like we're clogging up the stadiums thread with these opinions.

@gzerounian was just providing a good litimus test for contrast, and was not meant to indicate a literal matchup.

The point is that the other clubs are held to a standard by the NRL and we believe that Souths' away design does not adequately contrast with their home one. They've managed to split their solid traditional design into two shit variations so they can sell more ad space.

The ideal for them would be to ditch the panelling, go back to a white rabbit and black shorts (maybe have a set of white alternate shorts), and wear that 90% of the time as they don't have a lot of clashes. Then they can bring in an away (clash) design that adequately contrasts with the home design but still features plenty of red and green - its not impossible to maintain a club's identity in this manner.

Have teams wear their primary design as much as possible, and provide an adequately contrasting design for occasions when it doesn't. Is that concept so hard to both grasp and execute? Its literally a middle ground between strict home/away uniforms and the impracticality of non-contrasting designs, and you still can't meet us halfway?
Additional to this, for the most part I think we can be grateful we aren't down the Super League hole of completely random coloured away/clash kits.

Stallion

First Grade
Does anyone actually like those black and white panels on these jerseys? What is the point? They've had them for years now. Sooner they're gone the better

With Souths; the horizontal striped jumper is great and well recognised . To differentiate have a black collar for home and white collar for away games.

Zigwaa

Bench
Souths jersey has to have enough of a variation to justify to the sponsors that fans may buy one or the other and be similar enough to maintain their classic jersey.

I think they do it quite well to keep the classic look but able to sell them as different jerseys to sponsors. I personally like the look of the jerseys as a Rabbitohs fan, but can understand why it rubs some people up the wrong way.

I'd like to see them wear the new alternate jersey a bit more, but it seems with the away jersey now released they will only use it in trials and against Canberra, could be wrong though.

Stallion

First Grade
Souths jersey has to have enough of a variation to justify to the sponsors that fans may buy one or the other and be similar enough to maintain their classic jersey.

I think they do it quite well to keep the classic look but able to sell them as different jerseys to sponsors. I personally like the look of the jerseys as a Rabbitohs fan, but can understand why it rubs some people up the wrong way.

I'd like to see them wear the new alternate jersey a bit more, but it seems with the away jersey now released they will only use it in trials and against Canberra, could be wrong though.

A subtle difference like a neutral collar colour will sell just as good as others . This is provided the jumper is universally popular and that's what Souths have. The horizontal striped jumper is both recognisable and popular. Don't confuse new/casual and elderly fans. Keep them in the loop and know their team without having to ask someone "Who's that team?"

cooko

Juniors
I think having consistent sponsorship plays a major part of jersey sales.

Look at the Roosters for example. Have had steggles on board now for 8 years and have only had a few minimal changes to their jersey over this time (mainly the template used by isc).

Go to a Roosters game and the majority of fans all have a very similar jersey which shows the club’s history.

Status
Not open for further replies.