What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

taipan

Referee
That's why they never have a shortage of cash to fund their expansion and development programs in RL heartlands by the 10's of millions each year and the NRL barely has enough funds to manage themselves and fund our own areas let alone expand and fund its non traditional areas.

YOU ARE THE ONE IN DENIAL.

Think you need to keep up to date.The NRL this year expect a $50m profit, at least equal to or maybe better than AFL, when the results finally come out.So your statement is ill informed bollocks.
Every current NRL club is getting around $13m this year from H/O.

There is growth in every mainland state and territory for grassroots rugby league and that means tackle, and non contact.

The AFL have limited numbers of areas for expansion,whereas the NRL has two non heartland cap cities, another 2-3 in Queensland, and 1 in NZ, wanting to get involved.
These areas do not require the amount of funding ,your mob outlays.

Cities both heartland and non heartland are bidding ,for staging a SOO match.
The NRL has only just started to push grassroots financially, which has been sadly
neglected.

New stadiums are only just starting to come on line for the NRL, whereas your mob has had the luxury of all seaters for ages.

Your season has ended ,rugby league continues with Internationals in PNG and NZ, all for TV and attenders.
AFL does not have a semi pro or pro team outside this country, thus windows are shuttered after the MCG G/F.
Hell even Fiji is pushing to get a semi pro team in the lower NSW RL tier.

twesty

Juniors
Think you need to keep up to date.The NRL this year expect a $50m profit, at least equal to or maybe better than AFL, when the results finally come out.So your statement is ill informed bollocks.
the AFL will make a profit despite pouring millions upon millions into expansion clubs and expansion states through grassroots development. Add to that they will soon own Etihad stadium which they can do what they want with. The NRL may make a tidy profit this year but are spending a pittance on expansion.

TheRam

Coach
I agree it does take time, but I think where your message is getting lost or misinterpreted is by generalising Maori/Polynesions players as being dragged down by a chilled lazy bro culture when I can assure you isn't the case.

As I said, for all the reasons they struggle to get representation in the halves, work ethic and lazy culture are not the main reasons.

I didn't say and I don't think that they are lazy but their attitude when it comes to locked in German/Cooper Cronk like focus is rarely evident on the field when a team is dominated by them. That will change eventually, but we are at least a couple of decades away from that I think.

Canard

Immortal
Why are AFL fans all so racist?

For mine the Year on Year comparison is fruitless, the market share is the more important number.

Networks are going to pay big bucks for sport because it is a must watch live event

El Diablo

Post Whore
I didn't say and I don't think that they are lazy but their attitude when it comes to locked in German/Cooper Cronk like focus is rarely evident on the field when a team is dominated by them. That will change eventually, but we are at least a couple of decades away from that I think.
so you're saying non whites haven't evolved

racist f**kwit

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing to do with that. FTA TV has paid overs for sports rights and it is highly unlikely that the same sums will be paid next time around. The AFL, though, needs that money for GWS and GC, which they will sure as hell not let fall over easily. NRL hasn't made such an engagement os is off the hook in that respect in case of a decrease in TV revenue.

There is no evidence tv rights will diminish for either code next time around. They may but there is no evidence they will. Afls expansion isn’t just being covered by bigger tv $’s. They also have a rich club tax and a variable grant allowance which means the extra they are paying for expansion is well covered and the first ten years has been covered by the value of a ninth game anyway. We can mock the cost of afls expansion but compared to nrl’s it’s 25 years advanced of ours.

taipan

Referee
the AFL will make a profit despite pouring millions upon millions into expansion clubs and expansion states through grassroots development. Add to that they will soon own Etihad stadium which they can do what they want with. The NRL may make a tidy profit this year but are spending a pittance on expansion.

It's all very well making a profit.It's the throwing money into bottomless pits namely GWS ,the Sunburns and the Lions that is the issue.
Owning Etihad doesn't solve the clubs sucking up the big bucks up north.Nor the dwindling support there.
The NRL will not be doing that, they have learnt about throwing money around to support GC .Knights,Dragons,Sharks ,and Tigers, such that in future any club that gets into the financial ditch, they won't be bailed out.They will be moved.
Seeing they (NRL) haven't expanded or yet decided on doing so, of course they haven't spent money on expansion.What a dumb comment.
Yet grassroots growth has occurred in all states and territories of the mainland, with minimal expenditure so far.The smartest move the rl made was getting touch and women's rugby league up and running.Potential NRL fans and players.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
There is no evidence tv rights will diminish for either code next time around. They may but there is no evidence they will. Afls expansion isn’t just being covered by bigger tv $’s. They also have a rich club tax and a variable grant allowance which means the extra they are paying for expansion is well covered and the first ten years has been covered by the value of a ninth game anyway. We can mock the cost of afls expansion but compared to nrl’s it’s 25 years advanced of ours.

If you consider the Lions ,Suns and GWS such raging successes of now, then they are well advanced ..But the Lions/Suns and even GWS are hardly raging success stories for expansion ATM.

Please do not ignore the fact that quite a few Vic AFL clubs rely on a swag of poker machine money to support them to date.Yes that may change as will eventually happen in the NRL.

The point is the AFL and the NRL both need the backing of big TV deals. AFL clubs have far bigger playing and staff rosters than NRL clubs. The NRL is not throwing $40m plus a year in addition to grants to support their clubs, like the AFL does with GWS and the suns ,and the loss making Lions.

Like the Banks ands their dividends, which are currently stagnating,TV stations do not have an ever increasing viewers base on FTA particularly, and a static Pay TV subs base, I wouldn't be holding out for any big increase in future deals.And I don't have to be a financial genius.Financial experts have been pumping this line for a while now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL will not be doing that, they have learnt about throwing money around to support GC .Knights,Dragons,Sharks ,and Tigers, such that in future any club that gets into the financial ditch, they won't be bailed out.They will be moved.

I’ll believe it when I see it!

Re are they a success, probably not as much as afl had hoped but they are in the long game. for them it’s about a national footprint in all the major population centres of Australia. Re the cost of xpansion clubs the sale of the ninth game has covered the cost of suns and gws so in reality it hasn’t cost them anything, if reports are believed to be true.

Last year afl spent $25mill on suns, $24mill on gws and $25mill on lions. Given they reckon a game is worth $52mill a year in tv rights they are still $25millish up compared to if they had t expanded and they only had 7 games a round to sell.

Last edited:

Cowbees

Juniors
Like the Banks ands their dividends, which are currently stagnating,TV stations do not have an ever increasing viewers base on FTA particularly, and a static Pay TV subs base, I wouldn't be holding out for any big increase in future deals.And I don't have to be a financial genius.Financial experts have been pumping this line for a while now.

Interesting point - Australia’s population continues to grow, but will this ever translate to increased viewership and attendance for our game?

If you landed in this country and picked up a paper or read an online article by the same people that should be invested in the growth of the sport they pay for, you would be excused for never bothering given the absolute shit that gets written and talked about it.

About time they asked themselves what’s more important - more clicks on New Idea-esque trash stories, or getting more people invested in our sport (and their f**king product) by actually talking it up once in a while.

taipan

Referee
I’ll believe it when I see it!

Re are they a success, probably not as much as afl had hoped but they are in the long game. for them it’s about a national footprint in all the major population centres of Australia. Re the cost of xpansion clubs the sale of the ninth game has covered the cost of suns and gws so in reality it hasn’t cost them anything, if reports are believed to be true.

Last year afl spent $25mill on suns, $24mill on gws and $25mill on lions. Given they reckon a game is worth $52mill a year in tv rights they are still $25millish up compared to if they had t expanded and they only had 7 games a round to sell.

Which particular AFL game is worth $52m?A game between GWS and the Suns? They are getting crap ratings in their respective"home" states.The other traditional clubs might be worth the figure stated.

As I've stated relying on a big increase on the next Tv deals is wishful thinking.If FTA and subscription Tv were showing substantial growth then there's an argument for the future.As of now, they simply are not.That's why Foxtel is brining in this 4K Tv to hope it solves the problem.
Petrol is now at sh*tty high levels, if that continues, people cut back on non essentials, such as Sub TV.The bulk of Tv monies is from Pay.I hope I'm wrong but I believe we are on for a rough ride over the next few years.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Interesting point - Australia’s population continues to grow, but will this ever translate to increased viewership and attendance for our game?

If you landed in this country and picked up a paper or read an online article by the same people that should be invested in the growth of the sport they pay for, you would be excused for never bothering given the absolute shit that gets written and talked about it.

About time they asked themselves what’s more important - more clicks on New Idea-esque trash stories, or getting more people invested in our sport (and their f**king product) by actually talking it up once in a while.
most NRL journos are actually AFL stooges

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not A game lol, content. Two extra clubs creates an extra game content every round. Content is what the media purchases. To sell more content you need more teams. Pretty simple concept!

Population is growing, people still love to watch sport. They may comsume it through different mediums but the audience will still be there and companies willl still want to advertise to the masses. As an exampleFox subscriptions have gone up and nrl audiences grown due to better service in this tv deal.

taipan

Referee

Think the NRL will have bigger attendances ,due to better stadiums such as Parra/Nth Qld/SFS and fingers crossed ANZ.
For both AFL and NRL ,my view is viewership will continue to decline because of new technologies ,and the trend is already there.

taipan

Referee
Not A game lol, content. Two extra clubs creates an extra game content every round. Content is what the media purchases. To sell more content you need more teams. Pretty simple concept!

Population is growing, people still love to watch sport. They may comsume it through different mediums but the audience will still be there and companies willl still want to advertise to the masses. As an exampleFox subscriptions have gone up and nrl audiences grown due to better service in this tv deal.

I'm not that stupid not to understand, two clubs create an extra game.
The media has to have the subscriber and FTA viewer base to encourage bigger Tv deals.Indeed a growing one, which is not happening ATM.
The AFL can cite values of what each game is worth.as long as they wish, but year after year ,time after time, pouring large sums in with little local impact for the deep hole clubs is eventually going to get the other AFL clubs off side.
Fox subs have remained static as a % of the viewing population.Round about 32% pretty much static anyway.What has happened Fox has snagged Ch9 viewers, robbing Peter to pay Paul.We have had some ordinary FTA ratings on 9.
I've already mentioned the different mediums, and ironically as i've mentioned on earlier threads, why the NRL's digital set up is forward thinking.

DC_fan

Coach
The ratings between the codes are pretty close and honestly, considering the AFL has all mainland state capitals covered you would expect them to do much better than NRL. The NRL also has ratings from NZ which are never included.

As for AFL winning some national war, the game has some major flaws in growing itself. It requires too many players and massive cricket ovals to play, it doesn't have a popular short form of the game like TRL or oztag. It's not any safer than rugby league and has just as many serious head injuries. The NRL still holds a massive majority of market share in NSW and QLD on TV despite all the AFL's attempts to sabotage media and get people interested.

I would be more worried about Soccer and Basketball taking over. Kids will dump AFL and League and follow overseas competitions.

I have been saying this for sometime. Sporting fans can watch any sport they want on pay TV or through streaming, regardless of where it is played. If all you don't attend games and just watch sport on TV or your digital device there really is no reason for you to follow a local team. I follow the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL. Where once it was quite difficult to keep up with them and watch their games, I can now quite easily watch all their games and keep up to date with everything that is happening with the team through the net. In reality the NRL is just not fighting every sport played in Australia, but also every sport played around the world.

twesty

Juniors
It's all very well making a profit.It's the throwing money into bottomless pits namely GWS ,the Sunburns and the Lions that is the issue.
the point is the AFL are still making profits despite throwing this money. Their larger revenue stream allows this.
Owning Etihad doesn't solve the clubs sucking up the big bucks up north.Nor the dwindling support there.
no, but it's another revenue stream, and it also allows them to reduce rental for Vic clubs which play there, which means the assistance they give Vic clubs is less expensive

Seeing they (NRL) haven't expanded or yet decided on doing so, of course they haven't spent money on expansion.What a dumb comment.
point is a profit is one thing, but if is only due to minimal spending it's hardly worth bragging about
Yet grassroots growth has occurred in all states and territories of the mainland, with minimal expenditure so far.The smartest move the rl made was getting touch and women's rugby league up and running.Potential NRL fans and players.
Really? Havent seen much if any grass-roots growth in Melbourne, and we have an amazingly successful club

A whooping?

There is a very good reason why sponsors and advertisers flood to the AFL in preference to the NRL (and by a considerable margin).

No, it's not a conspiracy.

Obviously you have the attendances which are chalk and cheese.

Then, on top of that, you have this in relation to the advantage Seven gets from being the home of the AFL:

HARD BALL GETS
How the footy stats stack up for fierce foes Seven and Nine.

27 — The number of ratings weeks won by Seven so far this year. Nine has won three: one before the AFL season, one State of Origin week and the week of the AFL’s pre-finals bye.

36 — The number of nights this year when Seven screened AFL and Nine screened NRL at the same time. Seven won all 36 nights.

45.4% — Seven Network’s share of the free-to-air TV audience the night of the First Preliminary Final. Nine’s share was 24 per cent.
Grobs outs himself in new record time for an AFL troll...

The ratings between the codes are pretty close and honestly, considering the AFL has all mainland state capitals covered you would expect them to do much better than NRL. The NRL also has ratings from NZ which are never included.

As for AFL winning some national war, the game has some major flaws in growing itself. It requires too many players and massive cricket ovals to play, it doesn't have a popular short form of the game like TRL or oztag. It's not any safer than rugby league and has just as many serious head injuries. The NRL still holds a massive majority of market share in NSW and QLD on TV despite all the AFL's attempts to sabotage media and get people interested.

I would be more worried about Soccer and Basketball taking over. Kids will dump AFL and League and follow overseas competitions.
It has the mighty AFLX and that's all that counts.