What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

twesty

Juniors
That's just not true.

Melbourne have done very well for a rugby league club in Victoria. From average crowds of ~8-9k to 17-18k in 10 years, which is now above the league average. The Swans have also done very well.

Both clubs have enjoyed sustained success and both have enjoyed salary cap "exemptions", the big difference being Melbourne were lambasted for theirs, the Swan's ones were condoned by the AFL!
Swan's success isnt even in the same universe as the Storm's

twesty

Juniors
Whatever the Tv networks paid for any sport to date, and we know Fox paid a premium for the AFL ,the News conference spelt it out it is plain dumb to expect decent growth in a shrinking market and the economic uncertainty that lies ahead both for the country and the world.
the networks understand they pay overs for sport. However they rely on a proportion of the audience to continue on and watch other programs. This is why ch7 would be happy to pay a premium for the AFL when they win market share just about every week's ratings during the AFL/NRL seasons.

I used shareholders and member clubs as an analogy, never suggested the AFL had shareholders FFS
It was an idiotic analogy
It has been spelt out on more than one occasion some of the wealthier AFL clubs are shat off with the ,money thrown at the Nthn money losing clubs.
wealthier clubs are more concerned with the AFL's attempt at equalisation than their effort to support expansion clubs
AS I stated before the NRL is in a far better position re expansion because of the number of areas that want a club.
Wanting and sustaining a club are two very different things
The NRL didn't ago silly with the women's rl comp,having more teams, just worked with players pf experience ,not netballers, ballerinas, etc.
All of which the AFL can afford because they still make a profit despite these initiatives

Yes they (NRL)spend a lot less, but remember it is not how much you spend necessarily but where and how it is spent.And not ignoring the volunteers .The NRL is only now getting of its lazy a*se to promote grassroots via contract and non contact(touch/League tag),and the growing numbers indicate it is working.
If the NRL had substantial growth at grass-roots level in AFL states they would be screaming it from the roof tops, not saying highest ever. That's a massive copout
The Vic Sport's mInsister has stated rugby league is a growing code in that state, thanks to the Storm.
The Vic Govt is not going to invest decent monies in any sport going backwards.Yes the NRL is contributing to the C of E,which makes your comment they spend SFA in other states BS.
I never said it was going backwards, I said growth was very slow

It's relevant to the discussion because we have an AFL troll in action. And any action off the field can have repercussions for advertisers and Tv stations for either code.
I'm hardly an apologist for the AFL, couldnt care less what they do

twesty

Juniors
]No they had a SL war in 1995 ,and straight after their crowds jumped.Coincidence.The media from day one with the Swans received huge media coverage and that has continued ever since,The Storm have never had that luxury.And I don;t have to live in Melbourne to know that for a fact.
Maybe so, I wouldnt know what coverage the Swans get. I do know the storm may not get massive coverage down here but they certainly get some, and almost all of it positive. They're certainly not despised by any stretch.

It's no less convincing than the inflated numbers GWS and the AFL throw up with their participants in them North.Kid picks up a Sherrin has a few sessions of kick it to me, and there you go.
GWS are only one of two Sydney AFL clubs

Who is going to put another NRL club in Melbourne,
plain stupid.
was used as a reason why GWS and Suns will take decades to succeed, if at all. Never said it was a serious proposal.

The have been saying that about the Lions for a while, they also said AFL was the number one code in Qld,If BS was battleships, AFL fans would take over the Sth China Sea from China, without a shot being fired.
Very few AFL fans get sucked in by that sensationalist BS. You guys seem to fall for it hook line and sinker though

Perth Red

Post Whore
And they are no doubt regretting now doing so.

You could have just admitted you were wrong lol. Show me one sports TV deal in last 5 years that has been lower than the previous one. Hypotheticals are all well and good but there is no evidence for this one beyond falling sports audiences, but as I mentioned as long as companies still see sport as the main way to advertise to the very lucrative male 19-50 year old market there will still be a great deal of value in holding rights to sporting products.

One ponders what the Tv ratings would be with a match between GWS and the Suns G/F.

Probably on par with a NRL GF between Titans and Sharks

Both codes have big clubs and small clubs.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are there any League fans posing as AFL fans on Big Footy?

Or is this just some weird Victorian phenomenon?

Im sure there some fans on there who can see the success and failures of both codes as much as on here. If they get called homophobic terms, berated for daring to bring up NRL success or called leaguies for having the audacity to compare the two codes in discussion I am not sure?

taipan

Referee
Um
Swan's success isnt even in the same universe as the Storm's

The Swans already had a base with their old South Melbourne fans.Understand they number about 10,000 plus members of the Swans total.The Swans have been in Sydney for 36 years ,the Storm in Melbourne for 21 years.
You couldn't draw a comparison ,if you were given one too trace.

taipan

Referee
You could have just admitted you were wrong lol. Show me one sports TV deal in last 5 years that has been lower than the previous one. Hypotheticals are all well and good but there is no evidence for this one beyond falling sports audiences, but as I mentioned as long as companies still see sport as the main way to advertise to the very lucrative male 19-50 year old market there will still be a great deal of value in holding rights to sporting products.

Probably on par with a NRL GF between Titans and Sharks

Both codes have big clubs and small clubs.

WTF are you on about.I never stated, the fact the ARU /SANZAR did not have a decent TV deal.I stated I'll bet the Tv stations are regretting the position now, because their TV ratings are down in the depths.
My point which you typically fail to grasp, you can get a decent Tv deal now, doesn't mean you'll get a bigger and better one next time, especially in an economy loaded with consumer and mortgage debt.

Hypotheticals LOL ,you live by them mate.

The advertising market would be having second thoughts now ,about ru audiences for a start.The ru community in this country with the likes of A Jones,B Papworth are concerned about the big decline in participation,attendances and TV audiences, and you think advertisers are blind to the fact?

Funny the Sharks V Storm G/F had a large Tv G/F audience.In fact many and that includes the Nrl were hoping I understand for a Souths v Sharks G/F, this year.
And we won't mention the crowds that attended the prior Sharks v Cows elimination over 35,000 nor the G/F.
And no doubt a Perth NRL club would fall under the small category.

taipan

Referee
Maybe so, I wouldnt know what coverage the Swans get. I do know the storm may not get massive coverage down here but they certainly get some, and almost all of it positive. They're certainly not despised by any stretch.

GWS are only one of two Sydney AFL clubs

was used as a reason why GWS and Suns will take decades to succeed, if at all. Never said it was a serious proposal.

Very few AFL fans get sucked in by that sensationalist BS. You guys seem to fall for it hook line and sinker though

Well if you have no idea of the coverage the Swans got from 1982 onwards in Sydney,you're duelling with feathers.
Well i'll spell it out for you the day the Swans arrived in Sydney with Barry Round & Co, they got front page in the Herald, they got a dinner party at Lady Fairfax's Harbourside Mansion.They have averaged at least one to two pages in the Telegraph for as ,long as I can remember.Then Edelsten,Willessee,the blonde headed git with the tight pants,Plugger,Barry Hall,Franklin,a street parade thanks to Iemma.
When News took over rugby league, the Herald devoted a lot more space to AFL ,as News was a Fairfax competitor.
You ask any Storm official, they say to get any coverage in the papers down there is very welcome, here for the AFL it's considered nothing unusual.

GWS are parachuted in.,The Swans nearly went down the tube on 3 occasions.Then if GWS and the Suns fall into a hole in say 20 years, will all the money outlaid be considered a good spend.

I remember GWS expecting the Polynesian fans to start following the GWS ,when Folau went over it didn't happen.Yes they got plenty of publicity out of it, which again reinforces my view the Sydney media give far more coverage to AFL than vic versa in Melbourne. And all of it positive.
Murdoch's mob did say they would promote the backside off the AFL..

Perhaps you need to have spent some time at Big Footsy and the taking over comments, when the Lions were roaring, and some of the comments by Lions officials.The AFL got caught out BS their participation numbers in Glebe at one stage.Very few fans get sucked in ,few has a different meaning in AFL land apparently.
They tell you they have X no of members for the Swans and GWS, invariably they leave out the fact decent numbers are from the ACT for GWS and decent numbers are from South Melbourne running into the thousands.
I really don't care either way, as long as there is transparency.

" Fell for it" LOL, we laughed as well as no doubt, Queenslanders.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Iirc, the only reason the ARU got any increase if at all last time was because one of the UK networks thru in 10 million, without it, their tv deal was going to drop.

taipan

Referee
the networks understand they pay overs for sport. However they rely on a proportion of the audience to continue on and watch other programs. This is why ch7 would be happy to pay a premium for the AFL when they win market share just about every week's ratings during the AFL/NRL seasons.

It was an idiotic analogy
wealthier clubs are more concerned with the AFL's attempt at equalisation than their effort to support expansion clubs
Wanting and sustaining a club are two very different things
All of which the AFL can afford because they still make a profit despite these initiatives

If the NRL had substantial growth at grass-roots level in AFL states they would be screaming it from the roof tops, not saying highest ever. That's a massive copout
I never said it was going backwards, I said growth was very slow

I'm hardly an apologist for the AFL, couldnt care less what they do

Of course when there is competitive tension they pay overs, that's a given.But a history of poor and or falling Tv ratings in a shrinking Tv market, in an economy that is highly geared is not going to get as much competitive tension, nor the willingness to pay big overs.
They (7)might win market share but over the year rugby league has had the higher TV ratings.

Ch9 paid a premium for the NRL too, but were less successful, because Foxtel took away viewers.It's the way Tv stations work.If the advertising dollars are not there in abundance and there is a future tightening up in this area, overpayments I suggest will have downward pressure placed on them.

Bollocks .Eddie McChins was open in his complaints about large sums going to the Nthn clubs, and the fact they were taxed for being successful and big.
We know about equalisation and the COLA imbroglio with the Swans.And the stacking of GWS with the best young talent.

"Wanting and sustaining a club are two very different things",that is the bleeding obvious.Yet in the case of GWS and the Suns, they have to go hand in hand.You keep repeating yourself about the AFL can afford, we know that.The point is if 20 years from now they continue to sustain losses ,the TV ratings in the North remain poorly static, and ditto the crowds, then the AFL either continues to throw good money after bad or calls it a day.It may not happen that way, but that is an alternative that any sporting organisation must consider..

Look mate have a debate with your mate PR about the growth in WA,which I understand is an AFL state 16.7% increase.Plus growth in AFL states to date has been based on minimal monies being forthcoming from the NRL.

It's no more a copout and more reliable than some of the BS figures the AFL have thrown up in the past.
Just like the multitude goal posts they put around the state. You never read or hear about country areas in Vic etc struggling with numbers in the Sydney media ,yet you hear and read about rugby league struggling in the bush.The old carpet trick.
As Murdoch's offsider stated he will push extremely hard AFL in the NThn States,which they are doing.All part of the big TV contra deal.
For someone that i

s supposedly not an apologist for the AFL, you're doing a mighty fine job of being one.
Then you state you couldn't care less what they do, yet spend and spin an inordinate amount of time on this thread doing just that ,sheesh.

And I tell you what the NrRL: have had their fair share of incompetent leaders since 1997,without the continual negative media, the idiotic behaviour of some players off field and the money wasted in the SL warmth code would have huge sums in the Bank by now.They had close to $25m in 1995 all used up by the SL war.Go figure that impact champ on the future direction of the code.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WTF are you on about.I never stated, the fact the ARU /SANZAR did not have a decent TV deal.I stated I'll bet the Tv stations are regretting the position now, because their TV ratings are down in the depths.
My point which you typically fail to grasp, you can get a decent Tv deal now, doesn't mean you'll get a bigger and better one next time, especially in an economy loaded with consumer and mortgage debt.

Hypotheticals LOL ,you live by them mate.

The advertising market would be having second thoughts now ,about ru audiences for a start.The ru community in this country with the likes of A Jones,B Papworth are concerned about the big decline in participation,attendances and TV audiences, and you think advertisers are blind to the fact?

Funny the Sharks V Storm G/F had a large Tv G/F audience.In fact many and that includes the Nrl were hoping I understand for a Souths v Sharks G/F, this year.
And we won't mention the crowds that attended the prior Sharks v Cows elimination over 35,000 nor the G/F.
And no doubt a Perth NRL club would fall under the small category.

stop shifting, I said no sport had seen a decrease in TV rights, you said Union had, I proved they haven't. If tv regrets it is purely speculation unless you can reference a TV exec saying they regret it.

That's because the Storm were in it and are very popular and there was much interest if the sht club that is Cronulla could finally win one after half a century. You think Cronulla v Titans would rate well this year? Get your hand off it. And we are talking two NRL heartland clubs, imagine if Adelaide Rams v WC Pirates in a NRL GF, that would be more akin to your GWS v Suns analogy. Only difference is one is possible because the code has the balls to develop a national footprint and one doesnt.

What has Perth got to do with the conversation? Stop trying to deflect lol.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Wanting and sustaining a club are two very different things",that is the bleeding obvious.Yet in the case of GWS and the Suns, they have to go hand in hand.You keep repeating yourself about the AFL can afford, we know that.The point is if 20 years from now they continue to sustain losses ,the TV ratings in the North remain poorly static, and ditto the crowds, then the AFL either continues to throw good money after bad or calls it a day.It may not happen that way, but that is an alternative that any sporting organisation must consider..

Again they cant get rid of them and have the same amount of content to sell. Not unless they are going to put third teams in WA and SA to replace them, which they're not ever going to do. So lose the two clubs and lose $50mill in content sales or keep the two clubs and pay out $50mill in grants to the two clubs and have a bigger national footprint, bigger metro ratings and greater public perception as a national game. Why would they get rid of them even if it keeps costing them a mint? The argument makes no sense. Id be more worried about some of the heartland clubs that require large grants and are not newbies. Only scenario GWs and Suns get booted is if in 2023 TV says it only wants to pay for 8 games. But no way AFL is soft enough to let that happen.

twesty

Juniors
Well if you have no idea of the coverage the Swans got from 1982 onwards in Sydney,you're duelling with feathers.
Well i'll spell it out for you the day the Swans arrived in Sydney with Barry Round & Co, they got front page in the Herald, they got a dinner party at Lady Fairfax's Harbourside Mansion.They have averaged at least one to two pages in the Telegraph for as ,long as I can remember.Then Edelsten,Willessee,the blonde headed git with the tight pants,Plugger,Barry Hall,Franklin,a street parade thanks to Iemma.
When News took over rugby league, the Herald devoted a lot more space to AFL ,as News was a Fairfax competitor.
You ask any Storm official, they say to get any coverage in the papers down there is very welcome, here for the AFL it's considered nothing unusual.
even though the Swans get good media coverage there seems to be disdain for their existence. Whereas the Storm are either supported or generally ignored by the general public.

GWS are parachuted in.,The Swans nearly went down the tube on 3 occasions.Then if GWS and the Suns fall into a hole in say 20 years, will all the money outlaid be considered a good spend.
Time will tell. You never know if you dont try. The AFL have had the money so they were prepared to spend it on expansion. If they had sat on their hands and counted their money they would have rightly received criticism.

I remember GWS expecting the Polynesian fans to start following the GWS ,when Folau went over it didn't happen.Yes they got plenty of publicity out of it, which again reinforces my view the Sydney media give far more coverage to AFL than vic versa in Melbourne. And all of it positive.
Murdoch's mob did say they would promote the backside off the AFL.
You cant seriously be saying all media in Sydney for the AFL is positive

Perhaps you need to have spent some time at Big Footsy and the taking over comments, when the Lions were roaring, and some of the comments by Lions officials.The AFL got caught out BS their participation numbers in Glebe at one stage.Very few fans get sucked in ,few has a different meaning in AFL land apparently.
if AFL fans thought QLD was an AFL state it would have been a very small and stupid minority
They tell you they have X no of members for the Swans and GWS, invariably they leave out the fact decent numbers are from the ACT for GWS and decent numbers are from South Melbourne running into the thousands.
not sure why it matters. I know West Coast members who live in Melbourne. Members are members and give financial support to the club.

" Fell for it" LOL, we laughed as well as no doubt, Queenslanders.
it's more that you guys are so easily riled by these stupid media beat-ups, and seem to think all AFL fans agree. You're so easily trolled it's amazing. Seriously, who gives a f**k? If the AFL media want to make outrageous claims that's their problem, most people see straight through it. You only have to look at BF to know most fans think AFL house are greedy and corrupt, and the comp is far from fair for all clubs.

twesty

Juniors
Of course when there is competitive tension they pay overs, that's a given.But a history of poor and or falling Tv ratings in a shrinking Tv market, in an economy that is highly geared is not going to get as much competitive tension, nor the willingness to pay big overs.
They (7)might win market share but over the year rugby league has had the higher TV ratings.
I've heard the total FTA and STV ratings favoured the NRL, but havent seen a comparison of FTA only

Bollocks .Eddie McChins was open in his complaints about large sums going to the Nthn clubs, and the fact they were taxed for being successful and big.
We know about equalisation and the COLA imbroglio with the Swans.And the stacking of GWS with the best young talent.
Yes, Eddie is annoyed about equalisation, which is what I was saying, but this AFL initiative is for every club, not just northern clubs. He also doesnt like COLA assistance going to the Swans, however this has stopped now. There has not been widespread complaints from all clubs about money spent on GWS or the Suns.

The AFL say these clubs are a long-term project, and they are prepared to fund them for as long as it takes. However, the sporting landscape may be totally different in 20 years as far as media goes, so who knows. Maybe streaming through AFL/NRL channels, as we see with NBA etc, will make them even more revenue.

Look mate have a debate with your mate PR about the growth in WA,which I understand is an AFL state 16.7% increase.Plus growth in AFL states to date has been based on minimal monies being forthcoming from the NRL.
I can understand WA growing as their population grew quickly from interstate migration. Victoria, however, may have grown but Id suggest its marginal.

Just like the multitude goal posts they put around the state. You never read or hear about country areas in Vic etc struggling with numbers in the Sydney media ,yet you hear and read about rugby league struggling in the bush.The old carpet trick.
Melbourne media occasionally describe struggling AFL comps in the country, and rarely have I seen them mention struggling RL comps in NSW and QLD.

For someone that is supposedly not an apologist for the AFL, you're doing a mighty fine job of being one.
Just offering balance from someone who has an interest in both codes, and mainly RL these days. Some of the paranoia on here is quite alarming.

Then you state you couldn't care less what they do, yet spend and spin an inordinate amount of time on this thread doing just that ,sheesh.
their actions certainly dont bother me as much as those on here, that's for sure.

And I tell you what the NrRL: have had their fair share of incompetent leaders since 1997,without the continual negative media, the idiotic behaviour of some players off field and the money wasted in the SL warmth code would have huge sums in the Bank by now. They had close to $25m in 1995 all used up by the SL war.Go figure that impact champ on the future direction of the code.
That was over 2 decades ago. The AFL/VFL was also in financial trouble around that time yet has recovered strong. From my perspective, the NRL needs to prioritise more than just TV rights revenue. This is the biggest difference between the codes. If TV revenue does decrease it will place both codes in danger, but the NRL moreso.