What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

taipan

Referee
stop shifting, I said no sport had seen a decrease in TV rights, you said Union had, I proved they haven't. If tv regrets it is purely speculation unless you can reference a TV exec saying they regret it.

That's because the Storm were in it and are very popular and there was much interest if the sht club that is Cronulla could finally win one after half a century. You think Cronulla v Titans would rate well this year? Get your hand off it. And we are talking two NRL heartland clubs, imagine if Adelaide Rams v WC Pirates in a NRL GF, that would be more akin to your GWS v Suns analogy. Only difference is one is possible because the code has the balls to develop a national footprint and one doesnt.

What has Perth got to do with the conversation? Stop trying to deflect lol.
stop shifting, I said no sport had seen a decrease in TV rights, you said Union had, I proved they haven't. If tv regrets it is purely speculation unless you can reference a TV exec saying they regret it.

That's because the Storm were in it and are very popular and there was much interest if the sht club that is Cronulla could finally win one after half a century. You think Cronulla v Titans would rate well this year? Get your hand off it. And we are talking two NRL heartland clubs, imagine if Adelaide Rams v WC Pirates in a NRL GF, that would be more akin to your GWS v Suns analogy. Only difference is one is possible because the code has the balls to develop a national footprint and one doesnt.

What has Perth got to do with the conversation? Stop trying to deflect lol.

You are incapable;e of reading what I stated, referring to Union and the Tv stations and the Tv rights
My words
"And they are no doubt regretting doing so now".

If you believe a Tv station its happy with a big drop in TV ratings, then you have zero idea ,re ratings /advertising revenue .

LOL Nothing to do with the fact ,that the Sharks had not won a premiership for 50 years and the publicity in Sydney prior to the G/F about that fact and all the hoo ha involved ,and yes the rivalry between the Storm and Sharks.Another clueless comment from someone living on the other side of the country.
And the est 60,000 fans/casual who were in Sharks gear ,and the small numbers of 10-15,000 Storm fans and neutrals involved,yeah another PR special.
Your hands melad are still on it, watching some Weagle's player flying around.

Fact non heartland teams are not going to rate as well as heartland teams at G/F time, which was my point.

You're the gimp continually flogging Perth and whining about their current situation,expect a response to include them.They are in fact non heartland territory.You're the one deflecting, oh please don't mention Perth,unless I do FFS.
You spend your life here genuflecting to AFL and promoting your team, you leave yourself open.

And a Rams v Perth G/F(which you cited) whilst good for those cities ,would have ordinary ratings in Sydney and Brisbane the largest and 3rd largest city of this country.That's patently obvious.

One has the money to do so, if teams had not gone to SL including the Sharks and your mob, the sport would have a lot more money than it currently has.Then you can talk expansion.

You want a national footprint, but at the expense of Sydney clubs.Your using national footprint is Perth first and stuff others.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Again they cant get rid of them and have the same amount of content to sell. Not unless they are going to put third teams in WA and SA to replace them, which they're not ever going to do. So lose the two clubs and lose $50mill in content sales or keep the two clubs and pay out $50mill in grants to the two clubs and have a bigger national footprint, bigger metro ratings and greater public perception as a national game. Why would they get rid of them even if it keeps costing them a mint? The argument makes no sense. Id be more worried about some of the heartland clubs that require large grants and are not newbies. Only scenario GWs and Suns get booted is if in 2023 TV says it only wants to pay for 8 games. But no way AFL is soft enough to let that happen.

They couldn't get rid of Souths,they couldn't relocate the Lions and Swans, but they did.Nothing is impossible down the line, and yes that can include Sydney rationalisation.
There is talk of a 3rd WA team, and who knows what happens in Tasmania.If the Suns happened to continue to be a basket case, it's anyone's guess.
I have never stated that not having a national footprint is a bad idea, but it's got to be done properly.If the AFL is happy to spend hundreds of millions and the status quo remains, they would hardly be considered competent when it comes to expenditure.
I remember what happened when ch10 got into the financial poo.TV stations rely on the advertising money, they pay big dollars for sport and their on air personnel.Have another 2008 GFC and look out.
I agree sport is the advertising inducer, but poor dropping Tv ratings are a red flag to increased rates.I await with interest the next union TV deal.

taipan

Referee
even though the Swans get good media coverage there seems to be disdain for their existence. Whereas the Storm are either supported or generally ignored by the general public.

Time will tell. You never know if you dont try. The AFL have had the money so they were prepared to spend it on expansion. If they had sat on their hands and counted their money they would have rightly received criticism.

You cant seriously be saying all media in Sydney for the AFL is positive

if AFL fans thought QLD was an AFL state it would have been a very small and stupid minority
not sure why it matters. I know West Coast members who live in Melbourne. Members are members and give financial support to the club.

it's more that you guys are so easily riled by these stupid media beat-ups, and seem to think all AFL fans agree. You're so easily trolled it's amazing. Seriously, who gives a f**k? If the AFL media want to make outrageous claims that's their problem, most people see straight through it. You only have to look at BF to know most fans think AFL house are greedy and corrupt, and the comp is far from fair for all clubs.

This from the guy who is not interested in the AFL,please!!!
I am stating by comparison the media is overwhelmingly positive toward AFL in Sydney,by comparison to Melbourne.The Melbourne media knew all about the Dogs issue, one AFL player dressed up in a Bulldogs jumper.Franklins effort with motor vehicles a couple of years ago, soon disappeared form the Sydney media, and treated as let's move on.

I repeat look at Big Footsy ,and the Lions people, and the mob going on about AFL outdoing rl grassroots on the GC.
There's nothing wrong with members interstate providing support to their original team or a team they have grown to love eg the Storm.
But please ,pretending or hinting that the members are all locals is a bit rich.
NRL fans bag the NRL admin ,as does the media, it's hardly unique.

" I'm easily trolled" LOL.Bud you'ree the troll here,I follow the code that this site generally supports.And I'll defend said code from overt trolls.

taipan

Referee
I've heard the total FTA and STV ratings favoured the NRL, but havent seen a comparison of FTA only

Yes, Eddie is annoyed about equalisation, which is what I was saying, but this AFL initiative is for every club, not just northern clubs. He also doesnt like COLA assistance going to the Swans, however this has stopped now. There has not been widespread complaints from all clubs about money spent on GWS or the Suns.

The AFL say these clubs are a long-term project, and they are prepared to fund them for as long as it takes. However, the sporting landscape may be totally different in 20 years as far as media goes, so who knows. Maybe streaming through AFL/NRL channels, as we see with NBA etc, will make them even more revenue.

I can understand WA growing as their population grew quickly from interstate migration. Victoria, however, may have grown but Id suggest its marginal.

Melbourne media occasionally describe struggling AFL comps in the country, and rarely have I seen them mention struggling RL comps in NSW and QLD.

Just offering balance from someone who has an interest in both codes, and mainly RL these days. Some of the paranoia on here is quite alarming.

their actions certainly dont bother me as much as those on here, that's for sure.

That was over 2 decades ago. The AFL/VFL was also in financial trouble around that time yet has recovered strong. From my perspective, the NRL needs to prioritise more than just TV rights revenue. This is the biggest difference between the codes. If TV revenue does decrease it will place both codes in danger, but the NRL moreso.

Where the AFL did better was in the finals series, there is no denying that fact.
Of course Cola has stopped, the Swans are self sufficient we are told.
Off course they are long term projects, they are hardly going to say we'll give them a go for X number of years and see how they go.

Fitzroy and South Melbourne at one stage were no doubt long term many years ago, before relocation.

I am offering an alternative view,if ratings,crowds and losses continue to grow over a long period,without improvement, do they still get preference over a 3rd WA team or a Tassie team?Or does the AFL continue on with throwing confetti at the ventures?That's the question.Now of course it's a firm commitment.

The Melbourne media find it difficult to mention the Storm let alone, so there is bugger all chance of them mentioning struggling rl teams in the bush.
Paranoia LOL.It's called valid criticism.The NRL continually gets it from media, fans and trolls and AFL fans in Sydney.If you work in the kitchen ,your bound to get some heat.

It may have been 20 years ago, but it cleaned out the code's cash reserves, which has only just recovered in 2018 rot any extent.Prior to 1995 rl was going gangbusters challenging AFL as the major sport.
Then regardless of the AFL/VFL position and didn't they own VFL Park,they got kissed on the a*se by a rainbow with SL, a Tv deal $780m over 5 years and the dopey NRL: negotiated a 6 years $500m deal.You go figure.When you have a media organisation owning half of you, you are not going to get teh best Tv deal, by negotiating with half of yourself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They couldn't get rid of Souths,they couldn't relocate the Lions and Swans, but they did.Nothing is impossible down the line, and yes that can include Sydney rationalisation.
There is talk of a 3rd WA team, and who knows what happens in Tasmania.If the Suns happened to continue to be a basket case, it's anyone's guess.
I have never stated that not having a national footprint is a bad idea, but it's got to be done properly.If the AFL is happy to spend hundreds of millions and the status quo remains, they would hardly be considered competent when it comes to expenditure.
I remember what happened when ch10 got into the financial poo.TV stations rely on the advertising money, they pay big dollars for sport and their on air personnel.Have another 2008 GFC and look out.
I agree sport is the advertising inducer, but poor dropping Tv ratings are a red flag to increased rates.I await with interest the next union TV deal.

And we’re back to hypothetical maybes

Nerd

Bench
Just a reminder for our resident AFL trolls extolling us with how well the Lions and Suns are going.

"The two lowest-watched teams nationally
(across both AFL and NRL) are the AFL’s two Queensland teams, the Gold Coast Suns (93,510 FTA average and 97,765 subscription average) and Brisbane Lions (95,510 FTA average and 97,765 subscription average). They are the least popular of 34 teams across both codes."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-on-course-for-tv-ratings-victory-over-afl-20180527-p4zhsd.html

Are there any League fans posing as AFL fans on Big Footy?

Or is this just some weird Victorian phenomenon?
I use to post on big footy once, but told the truth and got banned.
It was fun reading the replies to my truthful remarks and it showed that the fumblers can't handle the truth.
My 6 year old grandson has a higher IQ than most posters on big footy but that wouldn't be hard

tri_colours

Juniors
What’s you opinion on the significantly lower audience in Sydney for nrl? Are RL fans in Sydney only interested in watching their own club?

Id say that's largely the case. Rugby League viewers seem far more tribal. The Qld ratings are very low also if a Qld team isn't playing.

King hit

Coach
30k avg crowd across the 2 Q’land clubs and 42k members between them would suggest someone cares. Would love to have nrl following like that in WA!

Mate next to nobody here in Brisbane or the Gold Coast remotely cares about the Lions or Suns. All of the sporting media attention here is about Rugby League and in summer cricket and nothing else comes close. The only people who care about the victorian game here are ex pats from the sparsely populated states. This is fact despite whatever your media in the west likes to tell you.

tri_colours

Juniors
but the ratings were up during the regular season so your theory is bunk, it's just the finals the AFL gets a huge and questionable boost that the NRL doesn't for some reason....

Our ratings are better than there's because of our consistency. There top teams rate better than ours, but there lower teams rate like shit!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just a reminder for our resident AFL trolls extolling us with how well the Lions and Suns are going.

"The two lowest-watched teams nationally
(across both AFL and NRL) are the AFL’s two Queensland teams, the Gold Coast Suns (93,510 FTA average and 97,765 subscription average) and Brisbane Lions (95,510 FTA average and 97,765 subscription average). They are the least popular of 34 teams across both codes."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-on-course-for-tv-ratings-victory-over-afl-20180527-p4zhsd.html

Which is even better for League when you also factor in the success of the NRL qland teams

The Broncos are the highest-watched team across the NRL and AFL nationally (744,103 average free-to-air and 274,619 average subscription), while the North Queensland Cowboys rate third for free-to-air (722,922 average) and fourth for subscription TV (258,826 average).

We really need to get another team into Brisbane!

Perth Red

Post Whore
It may have been 20 years ago, but it cleaned out the code's cash reserves, which has only just recovered in 2018 rot any extent.Prior to 1995 rl was going gangbusters challenging AFL as the major sport.

What about the cash reserves we had end of 2014 after two years of significant surpluses? You remember the $80mill sustainability fund that the CEO and Commission considered vital for the game to have in the bank, and that Todd was very happy to spend in the remaining 3 years? End of 2017 what did we end up with to show for $1.2biillion of TV money, an amount that the game could only have dreamed of back in 1995. No money in the bank, a deficit budget, clubs still broke, no expansion, no assets, static crowds, dwindling grassroots and falling TV audiences. Pretty much fail in every KPI for the game. Lets hope they dont squander this media deal equally poorly.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
What about the cash reserves we had end of 2014 after two years of significant surpluses? You remember the $80mill sustainability fund that the CEO and Commission considered vital for the game to have in the bank, and that Todd was very happy to spend in the remaining 3 years? End of 2017 what did we end up with to show for $1.2biillion of TV money, an amount that the game could only have dreamed of back in 1995. No money in the bank, a deficit budget, clubs still broke, no expansion, no assets, static crowds, dwindling grassroots and falling TV audiences. Pretty much fail in every KPI for the game. Lets hope they dont squander this media deal equally poorly.
Grant, not Greenberg.