What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

Starkers

Bench
i think lebanon v png would be good. around the same rankings.

otherwise perhaps time to add a country like canada with the success of the wolfpack...

Starkers

Bench
looks like AFL has taken evasive measures with the draw: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...e/news-story/2d489179b05ddcf3da55561b6029bba5

they should have consulted the NRL ... i think we all know how boring the same teams on FTA can be. perhaps trying to drive people into foxtel subs? could end up driving them away from the game entirely.

GC and Bris won't be seen on a friday night. there goes sponsorship dollars. bigger hole to throw cash into. going to be an interesting 2019.

Perth Red

Post Whore
looks like AFL has taken evasive measures with the draw: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...e/news-story/2d489179b05ddcf3da55561b6029bba5

they should have consulted the NRL ... i think we all know how boring the same teams on FTA can be. perhaps trying to drive people into foxtel subs? could end up driving them away from the game entirely.

GC and Bris won't be seen on a friday night. there goes sponsorship dollars. bigger hole to throw cash into. going to be an interesting 2019.

Theyve put the big clubs on fta to drive tv audience ratings up after a major decline
last couple of years. No doubt the addition of more Thursday nights is for the same reason. They suffer from game cross over for tv ratings and more Thursdays will help with that, though at the expense of crowds as we know.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Theyve put the big clubs on fta to drive tv audience ratings up after a major decline
last couple of years. No doubt the addition of more Thursday nights is for the same reason. They suffer from game cross over for tv ratings and more Thursdays will help with that, though at the expense of crowds as we know.
It's not relevant to NRL so of little interest to me or most on here. You seem somewhat AFL fixated.
Why would I reply to a post on afl?

taipan

Referee

But they had control of the TV allocations this year.Seems like the great infallible AFL stuffed up.

Starkers

Bench
after the weekend's rating for the perth ODI, cricket australia may find out the hard way how not to do a tv deal ... can't put content that rates 1m plus on FTA behind a pay wall.

NRL just needs to stay consistent and hopefully tick a little higher over the course of the next 4 years and the next tv deal will see FOX run back to it.

upload_2018-11-5_13-9-12.png

Starkers

Bench
yes a few issues
- current ball tempering fallout
- world class player missing meaning we got smoked
- carrying on with poor form

but i don't have fox and just didn't have any idea it was on until the day, but couldn't get to the pub. once the BBL starts they will see the value of both i think.

colly

Juniors
after the weekend's rating for the perth ODI, cricket australia may find out the hard way how not to do a tv deal ... can't put content that rates 1m plus on FTA behind a pay wall.

NRL just needs to stay consistent and hopefully tick a little higher over the course of the next 4 years and the next tv deal will see FOX run back to it.

View attachment 24724

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...akes-massive-ratings-hit-20181105-p50e2r.html

Cricket Australia's $1.2 billion move to Foxtel has, much like the Australian team's performance against South Africa, debuted with a whimper.

Sunday's coverage of the first One Day International (ODI) in Perth between Australia and South Africa on Foxtel's new Fox Cricket channel attracted an average audience of just 205,000 viewers across the five major cities.

To put that in perspective, Foxtel scored higher ratings in recent weeks with its coverage of Gold Coast Supercars (212,000 viewers) and an NRL test between Australia and Tonga (231,000 viewers).

The figures represent an almost fourfold drop when contrasted with last season's ODI in Perth between Australia and England on Nine – the fifth game in a series England had wrapped up early – which attracted an average audience of 956,000 viewers for the free-to-air network.

For a further comparison, the last time South Africa toured Australia for an ODI was in November 2014, with the opening game, at the time also played in Perth, attracting just over one million viewers for Nine.

shifted from Nine to Foxtel and Seven, following a six-year, $1.2 billion broadcast deal announced last November. Foxtel reportedly paid $750 million ($125 million per year) to exclusively broadcast ODIs and T20s, and to simulcast tests, Big Bash League matches (including 16 exclusive matches) and women's cricket, and secure streaming rights.

The pay TV giant touted its cricket debut with a new 24-hour cricket channel, Fox Cricket, a commentary team headed by Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne, and the promise of matches broadcast ad-free and in 4k for the first time.

But viewers have so far baulked at the cost of getting access to the channel, which requires a $25 basic entertainment pack to be purchased before a sports package can be added for a further $29.

On Sunday, while some disgruntled cricket fans lamented the lack of an ODI match on free-to-air for the first time in over 40 years, those who did foot the bill were more irked by Australia's play than anything in Foxtel's coverage. "Genius putting this display behind a paywall," quipped one viewer.

Foxtel has been contacted for comment.

HA HA

4K is the wave of the next five years. After that we will start moving into 8K (An 85" 8K model has just been released in the USA for the bargain price of US$14,999).

Everyone will have to start replacing their 4K TVs with 8K TVs in 2023.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
A league convert backline, coupled with a few in the forward pack, would win the tournament.

Can't argue with that

There’s no reason why union and league cannot work together to dismantle the All Blacks and rekindle the nation’s support for the Wallabies.

Um, yes there is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/06/rugby-union-is-in-strife-and-league-is-here-to-help/

Some good reading in here on Kanagroos v Wallabies tv ratings. And it ends with a cliche solution for the ailing ARU: buy rugby league players.

lol, why would RL help the ARU? We'd be more likely to pss on their corpses grave! Watching unions slow and gradual death in Australia is a joy to behold. Lets get better jnr development in WA and Victoria and a second NRL club in Brisbane and speed that demise up!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/06/rugby-union-is-in-strife-and-league-is-here-to-help/

Some good reading in here on Kanagroos v Wallabies tv ratings. And it ends with a cliche solution for the ailing ARU: buy rugby league players.

Haha, love it.

Putting aside all of the "Why cant League and Union work together to improve the Wallabies?" (seems obvious), i just think its great what this are saying to juniors:

Wanna be a millionaire RU player? Then join you local RL club!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There’s no reason why union and league cannot work together to dismantle the All Blacks and rekindle the nation’s support for the Wallabies.

Better to just have the All Blacks covert to RL so they have a decent challenge for once.

Kangaroos V All Blacks would actually be a decent match-up. Shame the ABs play the wrong sport...

RandyAndy

Juniors
I have always wondered how are tv ratings acutally calculated? I get it up on my telstra plan as I ended my foxtel subscription some time ago would telsra report to the nrl that I am watching on my ipad?