What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

rightleftin

Juniors
After 20 weeks the number of teams has been reduced from 11 to 8. It would not have been too taxing to predict the bottom 3 when the round 1 team lists were released. Hills had lost Mateo and Lestrange from last year plus a swag of North Sydney players, however, they betrayed their modest roster by beating Wenty in round 1. Down the track, Guildford was also defeated, and after 10 games Hills had 4 wins compared to 4 for Blacktown and 5 for St Marys. Hills lost every game after that. They simply had no depth with a SS team being consistently flogged and could not cover for inevitable injuries.

Brothers did very little recruiting and were totally out of their depth at the start, conceding a deficit of 112 points in 2 games, however, if their 5 floggings are removed, their average result in the other 13 games was 22-28. Over the season they scored only 1 try per game less than 2nd placed Mounties but the defence was well short of requirement on a number of occasions.

Wests got the wooden spoon last year, did little recruitment and might have gone back to back if there had been 2 full rounds as Wests missed out on Wenty and Mounties whereas Brothers may have beaten Hills.

rightleftin

Juniors
There are a couple of oddities in the teams listed for this week:

* Donny Thompson is listed on the bench for Cabra - could he have recovered in such a short time?
* Asquith have listed 21 players in both grades but there is no overlap so maybe that will change before the weekend, also Matt Place is listed in the back row.

There is a bit of deja vu at St Marys. Last year John Faiumu was one of the players St Marys brought up from A Grade near season end and after a few games in SS he played the first week of the finals in a winning RMC side before dropping back to win a SS premiership. Again in 2018 Faiumu was brought up from A grade, played 2 games in SS and is now named in RMC for the first week of finals.

Another player in the finals brought out of A grade is Daniel Roberts, who played for Coogee Dolphins up to July before joining Mounties, had a few games in RMC and was then elevated to ISP.

Abbas Miski is not listed for Wenty after his 5 seconds appearance in SS on Saturday.

imgunawin72

Juniors
There are a couple of oddities in the teams listed for this week:

* Donny Thompson is listed on the bench for Cabra - could he have recovered in such a short time?
* Asquith have listed 21 players in both grades but there is no overlap so maybe that will change before the weekend, also Matt Place is listed in the back row.

There is a bit of deja vu at St Marys. Last year John Faiumu was one of the players St Marys brought up from A Grade near season end and after a few games in SS he played the first week of the finals in a winning RMC side before dropping back to win a SS premiership. Again in 2018 Faiumu was brought up from A grade, played 2 games in SS and is now named in RMC for the first week of finals.

Another player in the finals brought out of A grade is Daniel Roberts, who played for Coogee Dolphins up to July before joining Mounties, had a few games in RMC and was then elevated to ISP.

Abbas Miski is not listed for Wenty after his 5 seconds appearance in SS on Saturday.
Your knowledge of players n clubs is great.
I can’t imagine donny Thompson will play, it might b because he has finished playing and the cabra blokes will list him while cabra are still playing- deservedly so.

Reactions: kbw

imgunawin72

Juniors
Yeah Windsor won pretty convincingly, I doubt it I think they will stay in the Penrith comp , unless they put in a shield and Massey but I doubt it , they don’t wanna waste there time in a conference competition.
Yeah you're probably right, I don't think they would want the expense of running a RMC team- now that st Mary's get all the overflow from penrith ISP and flegg.

leaguelover610

Juniors
Yeah you're probably right, I don't think they would want the expense of running a RMC team- now that st Mary's get all the overflow from penrith ISP and flegg.
Pretty sure Windsor left the comp 2 years ago due to finances, I doubt they will go back in in a hurry. It's only a small club with not a lot of sponsors or money going through

rightleftin

Juniors
Pretty sure Windsor left the comp 2 years ago due to finances, I doubt they will go back in in a hurry. It's only a small club with not a lot of sponsors or money going through

Windsor lost their biggest sponsor (and club president) when his son was replaced by Brent Kite as coach. The money then went to Hills and then Blacktown Workers.

Coastbloke

Bench
It's a pity Windsor had to leave because they have a nice little ground with a Leagues club attached and that area needs some decent football for the punters.

I was living at South Maroota for several years up until late last year and there stuff all rugby league to watch around there in places like Pitt Town/Wilberforce etc.

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC

Blacktown 36 Guildford 16
Glebe Burwood 38 Asquith 14

It looks like Guildford played their grand final last week, when they came out psyched up and were completely dominating St Marys 26-6 but like a number of other occasions did not play the full 80 minutes allowing Saints to score with 7 minutes left and then with clock counting the seconds down, Jake Toby split them and ran 60 metres to put Guildford out of the top 4. They paid the price today, losing to a side that loses more often than it wins.

SS

Guildford 30 Cabra 4
Asquith 54 Blacktown 14

Asquith flogged a side that won 6 and lost 13 over the season.

earl park riot

Juniors
Great second half performance from Glebe-Burwood. Five tries to one in the second stanza with Bessie Aufaga-Toomaga grabbing a brace and Aaron Pene, Ryan King and Penani Manumalealii crossing. Charlton Schaafhausen scores two in the first half with Latrell Schaumkel scoring the opener. Bessie only kicked 3 from 8 in difficult conditions. The Dirty Reds forwards laid and solid foundation, with Bessie and Charlton very hard to handle out wide. Aaron Pene scored a sensational 65 metre try midway through the second half. Asquith’s tries came from Jake Attard, Shae Jarvis and Matt Place.

kbw

Bench
Cabra SS were very ordinary yesterday and credit must go to Guildford who did play well.
It was a very different side they put out yesterday than they did against Cabra in the first round.
From the RM results it confirmed to me that they decided to stack their SS side and give it a crack all within the rules and honestly if Cabra had bothered to play properly it would have been a close game.

The refereeing was a big concern and was nothing short of terrible, not the reason Cabra lost but still not a good look

rightleftin

Juniors
Cabra SS were very ordinary yesterday and credit must go to Guildford who did play well.
It was a very different side they put out yesterday than they did against Cabra in the first round.
From the RM results it confirmed to me that they decided to stack their SS side and give it a crack all within the rules and honestly if Cabra had bothered to play properly it would have been a close game.

The refereeing was a big concern and was nothing short of terrible, not the reason Cabra lost but still not a good look

Daniel Vasek was the only player that would be expected to be in Guildford's RMC at full strength. I don't know why he is out of favour, he is only a cog in the machine in RMC but last week against St Marys in SS he was the dominant ball player. Guildford had a lot of problems with suspensions and injuries midseason and had only 14 players for several games but a lot of those guys came back over the last few weeks. With the RMC eliminated Vasek may not be able to play next week.

imgunawin72

Juniors

Yep the refereeing wasn't good enough. But too many errors from cabra meant very little ball possession . Unfortunately cabra saved one of their worst performances for yesterday. Guildford played pretty well though.

kbw

Bench
Daniel Vasek was the only player that would be expected to be in Guildford's RMC at full strength. I don't know why he is out of favour, he is only a cog in the machine in RMC but last week against St Marys in SS he was the dominant ball player. Guildford had a lot of problems with suspensions and injuries midseason and had only 14 players for several games but a lot of those guys came back over the last few weeks. With the RMC eliminated Vasek may not be able to play next week.

There were 4 that played RM in the first round at least against Cabra, that is probably due to what you described. Vasek did control the game yesterday quite well

kbw

Bench
Yep the refereeing wasn't good enough. But too many errors from cabra meant very little ball possession . Unfortunately cabra saved one of their worst performances for yesterday. Guildford played pretty well though.

One of the few that had one of their best for Cabra was your fav Matty , he worked very hard. The halves really kept taking the wrong options.

Status
Not open for further replies.