What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NSWRL Senior Comps - ISP, Flegg, RMC, Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgunawin72

Juniors
There is a huge gap between RMC and SS, I doubt that any SS team would beat the bottom RMC team. A few years ago several SS teams would have beaten the bottom RMC team easily. Brothers did also draw with Cabra, who are reasonably decent side, and lost to wests by a field goal.
Ok we all have own opinions.
I would be very surprised if st johns aren’t paying some of their players. Blokes don’t generally go from ISP or RMC unless they’re picking up good coin.
I think a couple of SS teams would beat brothers and hills RMC.
Brothers RMC have improved, but not enough to say that they are competitive. So perhaps they should have stayed in Penrith A grade.

Butts74

Juniors
There’s another thing , why would nswrl let brothers come into the shield and Massey comps for only one year if there going to get rid of shield next year apparently?

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
There’s another thing , why would nswrl let brothers come into the shield and Massey comps for only one year if there going to get rid of shield next year apparently?

I'd say it was to help keep the comp as long as possible, while having everyone play twice, and gives a team a bye each week.

Instead of having blocks of byes with 10 sides, they welcome in an 11th side, so that the shortened comp can give one team a bye each week. Having 10 teams would've made the season even shorter, down to 18 rounds. For something that's meant to be a senior NSWRL competition, we'd be on par with an A-Grade comp length, if Brothers didn't join up.

kbw

Bench
I'd say it was to help keep the comp as long as possible, while having everyone play twice, and gives a team a bye each week.

Instead of having blocks of byes with 10 sides, they welcome in an 11th side, so that the shortened comp can give one team a bye each week. Having 10 teams would've made the season even shorter, down to 18 rounds. For something that's meant to be a senior NSWRL competition, we'd be on par with an A-Grade comp length, if Brothers didn't join up.

There were 2 byes for each team this year and not every team played every other team twice. Having 10 teams would have given 2 byes and 2 entire rounds for a total or 20 rounds. (more than 1 bye each week though)

rightleftin

Juniors
RMC

Wenty 25 Glebe Burwood 20
Brothers 46 Wests 14

Brave effort by GB to still be in front with 5 minutes left after Willis Meehan was sent off in the 55th minute
Wests were handicapped by the send off of David Minute in the first half - also not his first send off this year,

SS
Wenty 23 Belrose 22

Possible the best effort by Belrose this season going try for try throughout before Andrew Pritchard slotted a field goal in the 78th minute. Abbas Miskie is currently playing ISP but ran on the field and came off after 5 seconds. He started the season in SS but didn't play many games - anyone know the finals eligibility?

rightleftin

Juniors
Abbas Miskie started the season late and according to NSWRL Live, played 6 games in RMC and then the next 7 games in ISP and so with 1 SS game he would have 7 at RMC or below and 7 at ISP, but if he plays ISP tomorrow he would have more above RMC than below so would be ineligible for RMC finals unless Wenty also make ISP finals. However, even though procedures manual refers to number of games, perhaps there is adjustments to % games because ISP play 22 games and RMC/SS only 18.

Wenty have probably qualified Arana Taumata and Piki Rogers for RMC over the last month with Rogers playing both SS and RMC last week.

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
There were 2 byes for each team this year and not every team played every other team twice. Having 10 teams would have given 2 byes and 2 entire rounds for a total or 20 rounds. (more than 1 bye each week though)

My mistake about Rounds 10 and 11. Went over my head when I wrote that. Been a long season.

Having 10 teams though, playing 9 other teams twice in a season, leads to 18 matches, across 20 rounds, doesn't really sound nice as a NSWRL branded comp. I'd want as many teams to keep it lengthy.
I wouldn't say to have entire rounds off, the comp is as short as it is already, and extra breaks don't help match fitness.

For a comp that's ending, I think it's set out pretty good to have one team in a bye each week, and welcoming in Brothers was good to do... gives another club a boost to be in a senior comp...
Although I wish their field was levelled and straightened ahaha.

We still aren't all 100% sure on what is happening for 2019 though... I'd love to see it continue though. I enjoy wearing the NSWRL badge. I feel pride in it.

kbw

Bench
I agree that there is more than 18 rounds needed and I think its better to play all sides twice rather than just some.
Cabra for instance misses 2 easy games

rightleftin

Juniors
If SS goes back to the Junior League structure the obvious disadvantage is loss of exposure but a benefit may be a more generous limit on player restrictions. The SS originally started as a 4 team comp because Cabra, Mounties and Wenty had nowhere to play as Parramatta JRL banned paid players and the PPIS for SS for a few seasons was 100 - exactly the same as RMC but in more recent years it was reduced to 70 putting a huge gap between the grades. The junior leagues may not want to administer a complicated points system.

It will be interesting to see what East Campbelltown do -will they want to stay at the top of the lower tier or return to RMC where they got the wooden spoon.

imgunawin72

Juniors
If SS goes back to the Junior League structure the obvious disadvantage is loss of exposure but a benefit may be a more generous limit on player restrictions. The SS originally started as a 4 team comp because Cabra, Mounties and Wenty had nowhere to play as Parramatta JRL banned paid players and the PPIS for SS for a few seasons was 100 - exactly the same as RMC but in more recent years it was reduced to 70 putting a huge gap between the grades. The junior leagues may not want to administer a complicated points system.

It will be interesting to see what East Campbelltown do -will they want to stay at the top of the lower tier or return to RMC where they got the wooden spoon.
Perhaps SS should be 100 points again. Reduce the gap n make it a better transition into RMC n ISP. Providing its run next year.

imgunawin72

Juniors

I would not think campbelltown would enter the RMC , with wests getting the ISP overflow.

MountainMan

Juniors

The original SS season was 2010. Competition was formed halfway through the Bundy Cup season if remember correctly.
Cabra,Mounties,Wenty,Bankstown Sports,Campbelltown Eagles.
Mounties and Eagles used to both get flogged each week.Ironically the two are the most successful in the history of this level and rivals.
Mounties had a team in the local A Grade competition that year,as did Wenty,unpaid.
Cabra and Sporties were full of 20s players from Parra and Dogs.
Wenty were stacked,led by NRL stars Alex Chan,Luke McDougall & Jorge Taufua.
Was a joke of a competition (the first 2 years) its great to see what it has evolved to 8years later.
East Campbelltown were full of 20s kids in the Bundy competition,with a couple of older heads in Albert Hopoate,Teeson Faavaeli.
Completely different squad now,theyd be competitive and mid table I’d say.Wouldnt be a premiership threat though.

rightleftin

Juniors
The original SS season was 2010. Competition was formed halfway through the Bundy Cup season if remember correctly.
Cabra,Mounties,Wenty,Bankstown Sports,Campbelltown Eagles.
Mounties and Eagles used to both get flogged each week.Ironically the two are the most successful in the history of this level and rivals.
Mounties had a team in the local A Grade competition that year,as did Wenty,unpaid.
Cabra and Sporties were full of 20s players from Parra and Dogs.
Wenty were stacked,led by NRL stars Alex Chan,Luke McDougall & Jorge Taufua.
Was a joke of a competition (the first 2 years) its great to see what it has evolved to 8years later.
East Campbelltown were full of 20s kids in the Bundy competition,with a couple of older heads in Albert Hopoate,Teeson Faavaeli.
Completely different squad now,theyd be competitive and mid table I’d say.Wouldnt be a premiership threat though.

Yeah it started late because Mounties, Cabra and Wenty couldn't put their paid teams in PDRL, There were supposed to be 6 teams but Windsor dropped out before a game was played and the Eagles were playing their 4th grade team so they dropped out after about 5 floggings. The 4th team was Sydney Bulls but essentially a Bulldogs combination with a few Bulls. Mounties results were poor except in the first game, when Mounties had a bye in RMC and they put about 10 RMC players in and beat Wenty 30-28 after Wenty scored in the final minute but could not convert from the sideline. Wenty's premiership was part of 10 straight "A grade" titles and Gavin Wardle played in all of them.

I recall that East Campbelltown had a few useful players in RMC - Sam Hoare, Bryce Gibbs (those 2 being called up to NSW Cup), Grant Lahey and at one stage Damien Kennedy was playing for them, and Shannon Gallant dropped back from Wests for their game in Perth.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Finals time

DlhUkCMV4AE4Gcc.jpg

DlhWU5YUYAAettr.jpg

DlhWm91U4AADRWF.jpg

DlhXZLVVAAI_lWE.jpg

Butts74

Juniors
Yeah Windsor won pretty convincingly, I doubt it I think they will stay in the Penrith comp , unless they put in a shield and Massey but I doubt it , they don’t wanna waste there time in a conference competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts