What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Pre-Season

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I like how Seibs says if anything happens to Cody or Reyno we have Doueihi there..... I think Cody and Tracey will go tbh and we shall keep Doueihi.....

No mention at all of Tracey..... that's as a player having not played for over 2 years and not having played NRL before should play reserve grade for the first half of the season imo.....

I don’t think Tracey will be near the starting squad in round 1. He will get the feel of things for the bears and then put pressure on AR throughout the year. Which is a great thing for AR. Last backup we had was Kelly and whilst he did okay, he’s not exactly a game winner like Tracey could be. In contrast to AR Tracey has a fantastic passing game. His ball playing skills are phenomenal.

Reyno has to get back to giving us repeat sets and not kicking the ball dead on the last..... that is a killer is the seven tackle sets....

You’re spot on here R20. Reynolds is at his best when he’s consistently building pressure through repeat sets.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don’t think Tracey will be near the starting squad in round 1. He will get the feel of things for the bears and then put pressure on AR throughout the year. Which is a great thing for AR. Last backup we had was Kelly and whilst he did okay, he’s not exactly a game winner like Tracey could be. In contrast to AR Tracey has a fantastic passing game. His ball playing skills are phenomenal.

We hope he will put pressure on but that's a hard call..... he may be a good surprise packet or he may flop...

Have you seen Tracey play??

You’re spot on here R20. Reynolds is at his best when he’s consistently building pressure through repeat sets.
He did too many cross field attacking kicks on the last play last season.... whilst they can be good surely rolling the ball in to precision and getting that repeat set is a better option...

Sorry part of my reply didn't quote properly...

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
He did too many cross field attacking kicks on the last play last season.... whilst they can be good surely rolling the ball in to precision and getting that repeat set is a better option...

Sorry part of my reply didn't quote properly...

Yeah I get where you’re coming from. I agree and I think training with Port Adelaide should also help with his long kicking game as well. Hopefully Cody’s too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah I get where you’re coming from. I agree and I think training with Port Adelaide should also help with his long kicking game as well. Hopefully Cody’s too.
When AR goes down and we have Cody as the main leader in the halves he panicked at times and just couldn't get to the kick..

Against Brisbane for the Anzac match last season I still can't work out why 25-30m out on the last play of the match Cody didn't at least try for a field goal......

Also Round 26 last season we were playing well and our momentum was killed by Cody not getting to the kick.

Or Cody throwing forward passes at silly times when AR wasn't there....

I can't criticise him much apart from that but I hope he goes to that next level this season.....

Problem is how much are we willing to pay to keep him if he goes well as he's a get out clause in his contract...

callmack1

Staff member
https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/01/19/position-battles-fullback/

Looks like Inglis will be fullback.

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Gagai
4. Jennings/Graham
5. Kennar
Good to see that's been put to bed.

Competitive culture drives Burns: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/01/19/Competitive-culture-drives-Burns/

I like that Seibold is really emphasising effort, that has been a real let down at times in the past few years and if Seibs can restore that focus, hunger and passion, then we are well on our way.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd put Fui at 4 & look at a few others for 5.
With Angus going and Sutto retiring I'd rather we focus on developing Fui in the back row....

Richo and Seibs have also hinted that Kennar will get that wing spot and he's training really well...

The fact he played what I think was a few games with the Storm shows there must be something there......

Good at the shit work I believe coming out of trouble....

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/south-sydney-rabbitohs/richard-kennar/

He's a big body too....

Besides Gagai I'm most excited about Kennar.....

He won't get ragdolled as much coming out of trouble as guys like AJ, Burns and Hunt do....

callmack1

Staff member
With Angus going and Sutto retiring I'd rather we focus on developing Fui in the back row....

Richo and Seibs have also hinted that Kennar will get that wing spot and he's training really well...

The fact he played what I think was a few games with the Storm shows there must be something there......

Good at the shit work I believe coming out of trouble....
Yea man, he's a big body and apparently he's very strong. I'm starting to be convinced he'll be there.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yea same. I was a bit sceptical at first but after learning more about him, he sounds decent.
He will make decent metres coming out of trouble to ease pressure off Gagai and GI...

I guess we will have to wait and see how he goes under the high ball and hope he stays on his wing frequently and doesn't rush in when not needed....

callmack1

Staff member
He will make decent metres coming out of trouble to ease pressure off Gagai and GI...

I guess we will have to wait and see how he goes under the high ball and hope he stays on his wing frequently and doesn't rush in when not needed....
Yep, and that's what needs to be improved. So many times in 2017 I was disappointed with our backs as they wouldn't do the shit work well. It was always Goodwin doing it and our forwards and overall metres suffered because of it.

That must improve this year and let's hope with guys like Gags and Kennar, it will.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I'd put Fui at 4 & look at a few others for 5.

I’m just going by what I’ve read from the coach. He’s said Kennar is a bolter for the left wing spot and basically said number 4 is up for grabs. He also said he was gonna use Fuimaono for a bench spot most likely.

From what I’ve gathered through reading articles from Souths I think this will be the round 1 lineup

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Gagai
4. Jennings/Hunt/Burns/Graham
5. Kennar
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Turgess
9. Cook
10. Musgrove
11. Surgess
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Fuimaono
15. Gurgess
16. Sutton
17. Nicholls/Turner/Clark. I think this spot is up for grabs from any of the props though.

Without the trials happening this is the 17 I think Seibold will be going with.

Look for Doueihi to make his way into the team for Sutton. I honestly don’t know if Sutton will get 300 games.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’m just going by what I’ve read from the coach. He’s said Kennar is a bolter for the left wing spot and basically said number 4 is up for grabs. He also said he was gonna use Fuimaono for a bench spot most likely.

From what I’ve gathered through reading articles from Souths I think this will be the round 1 lineup

1. GI
2. AJ
3. Gagai
4. Jennings/Hunt/Burns/Graham
5. Kennar
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
8. Turgess
9. Cook
10. Musgrove
11. Surgess
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Fuimaono
15. Gurgess
16. Sutton
17. Nicholls/Turner/Clark. I think this spot is up for grabs from any of the props though.

Without the trials happening this is the 17 I think Seibold will be going with.

Look for Doueihi to make his way into the team for Sutton. I honestly don’t know if Sutton will get 300 games.
I think you are right......

Sutto to the Bears, wow big big call........

If he plays Sam on an edge the whole match Seibs has already lost his marbles....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think you are right......

Sutto to the Bears, wow big big call........

If he plays Sam on an edge the whole match Seibs has already lost his marbles....

Honestly I know it’s a fairytale ending for Sutton to get to 300 but Doueihi is pushing hard for a bench spot from what I’ve read on other forums, articles etc and that means we won’t have 2 second rowers in the bench. Maybe Sutton plays 17 games and that’s it. That’s all he needs.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Honestly I know it’s a fairytale ending for Sutton to get to 300 but Doueihi is pushing hard for a bench spot from what I’ve read on other forums, articles etc and that means we won’t have 2 second rowers in the bench. Maybe Sutton plays 17 games and that’s it. That’s all he needs.
If Sutto is fit I'm with Callmack on that he will reach 300....