What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 3rd Test Australia v England, Leeds Aug 22-26

Eelectrica

Referee
Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Never seen batting stocks so bare.

Can’t help but feel Pat Howard’s pathways program has something to do with it.
Yep, the downfall is just incredible. From being unable to squeeze in guys like Martin Love and Stuart Law to this.
The whole 'E-sports' thing is only a fairly recent shift so it can't all be blamed on that.

We've banged this drum many a time, but again you cannot tell me that that prominence of the shortest forms hasn't played a huge part, coupled with the lack of first class cricket they play nowadays. Just have a look at the records of players from 20, 30 years ago and see just how much of the longer form they played compared to players today.

There's direct evidence of it in the way they play as well. Horrible techniques where they plop the front foot out every ball (Bancroft, Finch). Playing inappropriate shots (even Lasagne in his last innings tried to play a guide to third man off a rubbish bouncer, game on the line), or getting to 20 or 30 and then for some reason trying to ramp up the scoring as if they're playing an ODI (Travis Head).

They're only humans and a lot of this is muscle memory, repitition. You have little time to think with the speeds fast bowlers bowl at. If the majority of your training overall is geared towards batting towards in the shorter formats, where the technique, strategy, and mindset required is totally different to red ball cricket, how do we think players are going to play the majority of the time?

undertaker

Coach
Bancroft can feel very hard done by to be the player dropped from the top 3. He did reasonably well against Archer et al. in the 2nd innings of the Lord's test.

Looks like Warner is more valuable to sponsors and Justin Langer, but as I've already said, if he doesn't score runs in this test and Smith comes back into the team at Old Trafford, I cannot see how the selectors can persevere with Warner in the test arena any longer

Bancroft can feel very hard done by to be the player dropped from the top 3. He did reasonably well against Archer et al. in the 2nd innings of the Lord's test.

Looks like Warner is more valuable to sponsors and Justin Langer, but as I've already said, if he doesn't score runs in this test and Smith comes back into the team at Old Trafford, I cannot see how the selectors can persevere with Warner in the test arena any longer

Even if Warner is dropped for the final two tests, he’s very likely straight back in the team for the Aussie summer. He brutalises attacks in Australia.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Can see an epic collapso coming up from our duds. Possibly a first baller for elegant, graceful Khawajdud. No idea who will (or can) stand up to Archer and Broad in these conditions

blaza88z

Coach
We could make Root and co look foolish if we are no more than 2 down at lunch but then again we could get rolled, this first session is huge