What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ASHES: 5th Test Australia v England, The Oval Sept 12-16

Timbo

Staff member
Khawaja for Warner. Maybe Bancroft for Harris.

I’ll be interested to see how Lyon pulls up. His finger looked f**ked. I’d consider debuting Neser if he’s injured, lengthens the batting lineup and can bowl the long holding spells we’d be missing.

typicalfan

Coach
I can see Siddle coming in if Lyon can't bowl his usual overs. Siddle can bowl long spells and doesn't really matter if he breaks down.

I wish they put Khawaja at opener when Smith returned now they are in a tough spot. Khawaja for Harris would be my choice.

icewind

Juniors
dare i say it... m marsh as fourth bowler considering we only need a draw?

Last edited:

icewind

Juniors
Think they may as well keep the same batting line up - Bancroft and Khawaja have had chances - not exactly up and coming youngsters
Come first test of the summer the batting lineup should be
1. Warner
2. ???
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. ???

The blank spots go to whoever gets runs in the opening rounds of the shield (knowing our luck we will end with highest shield scorers of Harris, Bancroft and Wade). It would be a good time to put in pucovski or Patterson at 6

Burns? Pucovski's a talent as well.

Timbo

Staff member
England keeping the same squad of 13 - Stokes may not be able to bowl

That's absolutely amazing, and shows how completely lost the English selectors are.

Dom Sibley has 950 runs @ 55 with thee 100s and four 50s opening the batting in Division 1 of the County Championship. Ollie Pope has a career FC average of 60, and scored 221* in his last FC outing.

To look at this side of plodders and hackers and go 'nah, all good on the batting front' is utterly insane. They aren't even young anymore. Bairstow, Buttler, Roy are all pushing 30. How could this possibly be the 'future' of English cricket?

That's absolutely amazing, and shows how completely lost the English selectors are.

Dom Sibley has 950 runs @ 55 with thee 100s and four 50s opening the batting in Division 1 of the County Championship. Ollie Pope has a career FC average of 60, and scored 221* in his last FC outing.

To look at this side of plodders and hackers and go 'nah, all good on the batting front' is utterly insane. They aren't even young anymore. Bairstow, Buttler, Roy are all pushing 30. How could this possibly be the 'future' of English cricket?

I don’t really follow county cricket so I’d assumed the cupboard was bare. How they think Roy is a test cricketer is beyond me.

Timbo

Staff member
I don’t really follow county cricket so I’d assumed the cupboard was bare. How they think Roy is a test cricketer is beyond me.

It's even worse when you break down some of the stats.

Jason Roy through 83 FC matches has never batted through two sessions of cricket at any level, ever.

Jos Buttler has one hundred in 62 test innings, and only five FC hundreds.

Jonny Bairstow averages 25 in the last 18 months.

The selections are out of control.

Eelectrica

Referee
Can’t help but think how different this series would be if it wasn’t for Steve smith
To be fair though we should have beaten them in third test even without smith but for a dud umpire decision and for us repeatedly shooting ourselves in the foot.

But yeah smith and Cummins have been amazing.

bazza

Immortal
It's even worse when you break down some of the stats.

Jason Roy through 83 FC matches has never batted through two sessions of cricket at any level, ever.

Jos Buttler has one hundred in 62 test innings, and only five FC hundreds.

Jonny Bairstow averages 25 in the last 18 months.

The selections are out of control.
It seems like they have copied the Australian selection theory from about 2 or 3 years ago