What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Agreed. York will always struggle to gain big crowds as Leeds, Cas and Hull are all within an hours drive away.

There is an excellent amateur presence in the City mind you.
York if they ever reached super league could easily attract crowds of around 4,000-5,000. Maybe more depending on form and away support.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Would really love to see more investment into the championship be it with sponsorship and or a tv deal.

Creating a strong and healthy league under super league could give teams who are relegated from the top tier more stability and the teams aiming for super league hope and a platform for steady growth on and off the pitch without going bust.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I can’t for the reasons I’ve stated previously. Unless you’re happy to have another team highly dependent on away support?
I have more confidence in York hitting regular 10,000+ crowds than London, Salford and Huddersfield etc. But it will take time and development and of course investment.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
But is that only because their location is a lot better than those you have mentioned thus more attractive to away fans?
Partly. The attendance against Toronto proves to me that the support is there in York.

I would in a perfect world target some of the other towns and small market towns in North Yorkshire in terms of supporters and grassroots RL.

deluded pom?

Coach
Partly. The attendance against Toronto proves to me that the support is there in York.

I would in a perfect world target some of the other towns and small market towns in North Yorkshire in terms of supporters and grassroots RL.
There was still a sizeable contingent at York who were there to see TWP. That novelty effect will soon wear off.

deluded pom?

Coach
You don’t like York do you marra. Did you get beat up there once on a night out?? lol!!!
I love York. I often go there but as I said previously there are certain middle class towns and cities in the UK that doesn’t support sport very well. York, IMO, is one of them.

deluded pom?

Coach
If the football team were successful they would appeal to a far bigger potential audience than a comparable RL team. I’ve been to York dozens of times and I can honestly say I have never seen anyone wearing a York RL or York football shirt outside of a game at BC.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
If the football team were successful they would appeal to a far bigger potential audience than a comparable RL team. I’ve been to York dozens of times and I can honestly say I have never seen anyone wearing a York RL or York football shirt outside of a game at BC.
I think they need a rich backer to even be competitive. I’d just like to see what they offer to super league.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Former Salford owner Marwan koukash is not a fan of the North American franchise bids and is still talking about entering a Liverpool based team into league 1.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Apparently he also lost a race with the Warrington mascot. I would love to know what the Wire Flyer thinks on expansion...

...more than Marwan.

adamkungl

Immortal
Former Salford owner Marwan koukash is not a fan of the North American franchise bids and is still talking about entering a Liverpool based team into league 1.

Nothing is stopping him from developing his own club.

The more Torontos and New Yorks there are, the more chance there is of investors in Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, Dublin, Paris getting on board.
The North American bids make it more attractive for big cities closer to home.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Nothing is stopping him from developing his own club.

The more Torontos and New Yorks there are, the more chance there is of investors in Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, Dublin, Paris getting on board.
The North American bids make it more attractive for big cities closer to home.
Exactly. Toronto has spawned Ottawa and New York and hopefully Ottawa and New York will spawn Boston, Montreal and Paris etc.