What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Investors pull out of Manchester Rangers following their failed bid to enter league 1. 1 step forward 2 steps back as usual for RL in the U.K.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Did the money men pull out after being asked to pay a substantial fee to enter League 1?
Not sure if they were ever asked to pay money in order to enter league 1 but they’ve pulled their investment from the current amateur setup forcing the men’s senior team to withdraw from the league immediately.

Storm13

Juniors
Not sure if they were ever asked to pay money in order to enter league 1 but they’ve pulled their investment from the current amateur setup forcing the men’s senior team to withdraw from the league immediately.
Pretty sure they had a good proposal/bid to the RFL to enter League 1 but was denied because they were asked to pay a fee of half a million.

adamkungl

Immortal
Widnes dropped another game, this time to low placed Dewsbury. This will just about put to bed any hopes of sneaking into the finals (@Timmah ). Would need to win every single one of their remaining 15 games to have a hope.

Halifax Featherstone and Leigh all notched up wins for the M62 old guard but the top teams still flying the flag for expansion.

In League One London Skolars continue their charge up the ladder, knocking off Hunslet and putting themselves right in the frame for promotion. Could see a London double in Championship next year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Widnes dropped another game, this time to low placed Dewsbury. This will just about put to bed any hopes of sneaking into the finals (@Timmah ). Would need to win every single one of their remaining 15 games to have a hope.

Halifax Featherstone and Leigh all notched up wins for the M62 old guard but the top teams still flying the flag for expansion.

In League One London Skolars continue their charge up the ladder, knocking off Hunslet and putting themselves right in the frame for promotion. Could see a London double in Championship next year.
That was a surprise, didn't expect them to drop a game to the Rams of all teams - almost definitely out of the running now you'd think.

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Skolars benefiting from some loan signings from Wigan and other signings with championship experience.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Apparently the Liverpool project is still all systems go with marwan koukash and 2 other investors planning to launch the club at the upcoming magic weekend played at anfield stadium Liverpool.

Talk of entering league 1 for the 2021 season. I wonder if they’ll be asked to stump up £500,000 like Manchester rangers??

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...uld-love-to-see-an-irish-team-enter-league-1/

Tyrone McCarthy thinks an Irish team entering the Rugby Football League pyramid would provide a massive boost for the game in Ireland.

Dublin Blues applied to enter the RFL ranks last year for a place in the third tier for 2020, but talk on the topic went cold, with the likes of New York and Ottawa being the frontrunners to claim their stakes in League 1 for next year onwards.

McCarthy, who has earned 16 caps for Ireland since making his international debut back in 2009, believes an Ireland-based team entering League 1 would really grow the sport in the Celtic nation.

In his blog for salfordreddevils.net, McCarthy said: “I do think an Irish team being introduced into League 1 would be a solid start for the domestic game as my Ireland team-mate Oliver Roberts suggested on social media.

“Although the domestic competition isn’t the strongest in Ireland, there is a lot of hidden talent that falls out of rugby union who could make great league players.

“I’d love to see a professional team there in the next ten years, it would need to have a structure within itself to be sustainable, using existing clubs to filter into it and running academies for development.

“I think a professional team in League 1 would be the ideal level for a club encouraging the domestic Irish lads to play the game, and you could attract some of the experienced senior team players to come and play.”

McCarthyTyrone1-2-1113-1024x747.jpg

McCarthy, who was born in England, qualifies for Ireland via family heritage and has only ever played for the Wolfhounds on the international stage.

And he insists the game in Ireland could learn and benefit from looking at the path that Wales have gone down.

He added: “I know they tried it in Wales with the Crusaders in Super league not long ago, but there were things that went wrong off the field there rather than on it.

“I do honestly believe the work that North and West Wales clubs are doing now will only benefit Wales in the future.

“They might never get into the Super League but it’s about giving the domestic players the chance and opportunity to play at a higher level.

“I’m really passionate about playing for Ireland and it hit home playing in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup after I’d missed a few years, and promoting Irish Rugby League is definitely something I’d look at getting involved with going forward.”

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Toulouse have just tonked dewsbury 38-0 away from home. Wolfpack take on Bradford in Toronto in less than an hours time.

Dakink

Bench
Just watched the live stream on Facebook. Entertaining game. Toronto 32-16 (from memory) was close for a long period. 8000 odd there as well.

One thing that I do find annoying is the habit of rolling the ball between the legs. Call me.old fashioned but I like the foot to touch or at least make an effort to touch the ball when playing it. Some of the play the balls looked like tunnel ball!

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Just watched the live stream on Facebook. Entertaining game. Toronto 32-16 (from memory) was close for a long period. 8000 odd there as well.

One thing that I do find annoying is the habit of rolling the ball between the legs. Call me.old fashioned but I like the foot to touch or at least make an effort to touch the ball when playing it. Some of the play the balls looked like tunnel ball!
I’m with you marra on the play the ball. For me it’s what defines RL on how to restart the next passage of play.

deluded pom?

Coach
I agree. One of the worst offenders IMO is Mitch Garbutt. He makes absolutely no attempt to touch the ball with his foot ever. If his team have a bit of momentum his illegal PTB helps to keep them on the front foot.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Bradford slip out of the “big” city top 5 in the championship and are replaced by Leigh who beat Sheffield who still remain in the top 5. York also remain after beating batley.

1. Toronto
2. Toulouse
3. Sheffield
4. Leigh
5. York