What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 College Football Season

shiznit

Coach
A guy from my office is a big college football fan... dude left for New Orleans on the weekend...

He’s going to the Sugar Bowl in a day or so then going on a caribbean cruise for a week and going to the college football title game when he gets back.

All out of New Orleans apparently...

T-Boon

Coach
absolutely. i'd personally like to see a top 6.
With the top 2 teams being given the bye, and then 3 v 6 and 4 v 5
highest seeded winner players 2nd seed.

They'll end up just jumping to 8 teams anyways, which will also be fine, but i'd hate to see it expanded beyond that. Its very rare, in fact i dont recall its ever happened with a 6th-7th-8th seed could make a viable argument for being a top 4 team. Which is why i favour 6, most years 5th and 6th would be fodder but there are some years where they'd be a good shout

But yeah, a top 8 with the 5 power conference winners and the next best 3 works too

I like the idea of a top six. However, I think with Oklohama getting beaten the way they did it proves the point that the top 6 should just be the best 6 teams not necessarily the champions of each conference. Some years the conference champion is clearly crap and inferior to other options. Some years there should be 2 Big Ten teams other years none.

T-Boon

Coach
I was hoping to see Florida lose yesterday. This bowl season has again shown why SEC teams will be highly ranked at the start of each year. LSU will probably win and the other teams in bowl games are winning. Top 10 week one next year will include Bama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn and everyone will be upset.

nick87

Coach
I like the idea of a top six. However, I think with Oklohama getting beaten the way they did it proves the point that the top 6 should just be the best 6 teams not necessarily the champions of each conference. Some years the conference champion is clearly crap and inferior to other options. Some years there should be 2 Big Ten teams other years none.
Yeah its a fair point, but also i think this year was a little different than most in that i think it was a clear top 3 and beyond it they really didnt have a hope.
Most years its closer than this imo

If it's a top 8 play off, i think all the conference champs should get in, and the wildcards are the other spots. If you're not one of the best 3 non conference winners then you havent got a right to complain, so that's easy... if it's top 6, then yeah, just take the best 6 teams.

T-Boon

Coach
Great game this Rose Bowl but my only interest in the game is the cheerleaders and seeing the Big Ten team lose.
Really looking forward to Baylor v Georgia. Let’s go Baylor!! Love their outfits and the fact they play out of Waco Texas.

Tom155

Coach
Wouldn’t touch Herbert in the draft

Big mistake not coming out after last season

Brady Breeze is having an excellent game

T-Boon

Coach
Georgia killing Baylor

That sucks, but before I get too upset I'll have a look at how many Georgia players quit on the team and withdrew from the bowl game. I think it is a low number relative to previous years.

Either way these conferences need to stop bitching about SEC teams stating the season highly ranked. That is based on this kind of outcome where they tend to win their non conference games a lot.

T-Boon

Coach
Wouldn’t touch Herbert in the draft

Big mistake not coming out after last season

I think you are right but it is a shame because he is a great kid. Loved his school and came back because he wanted to win a natty. Meanwhile the guys who thrive are the Mayfield, Murray, Field types who don't give a damn about their school.

jaseg

Juniors
I think you are right but it is a shame because he is a great kid. Loved his school and came back because he wanted to win a natty. Meanwhile the guys who thrive are the Mayfield, Murray, Field types who don't give a damn about their school.

....they f**ked around with Mayfield's scholarship at TT and was ignored by the Kingsbury in favour of Davis Webb, and Fields was sat on the bench for Jake Fromm (who had 2 more years of eligibility) in Georgia's take no risks offense. Totally understandable in both cases - they're trying to make some money out of this thing eventually, after all. Hell, later in his college career Mayfield even stayed an extra year at Oklahoma in an attempt to win a national championship despite the '18 QB class already being heralded as amazing and '17 being downplayed massively.

Murray fits the bill though. I get the sense his dad has been micromanaging his athletic career the whole way - like a less shitty Cecil Newton, or a much, much less shitty LaVar Ball.

OT: I still think Herbert's going in the 1st. Doesn't look great right now though.

nick87

Coach
I think Herbert has a chance if he lands in the right place... he's got a lot of great physical tools. Get him with the right coaching staff and he'll be a good NFL QB IMO

He'll likely land in a bad spot and be a total disaster though

T-Boon

Coach
....they f**ked around with Mayfield's scholarship at TT and was ignored by the Kingsbury in favour of Davis Webb, and Fields was sat on the bench for Jake Fromm (who had 2 more years of eligibility) in Georgia's take no risks offense. Totally understandable in both cases - they're trying to make some money out of this thing eventually, after all. Hell, later in his college career Mayfield even stayed an extra year at Oklahoma in an attempt to win a national championship despite the '18 QB class already being heralded as amazing and '17 being downplayed massively.

Murray fits the bill though. I get the sense his dad has been micromanaging his athletic career the whole way - like a less shitty Cecil Newton, or a much, much less shitty LaVar Ball.

Very valid points particularly the bolded. My opinion gets skewed a bit because I am an ND fan and we cant land the 5 star players who make all the difference. On Field I mainly don't like the way he got immediate eligibility for Ohio State claiming some bogus racism for the transfer.
On Kingsbury I really don't get how he got the Arizona job given his actual results at TT. Maybe he is a QB whisperer of sorts, but he is head coach so he must surely be judged on the overall results. I don't think he ever had a winning season which in Big 12 isn't saying all that much.

Tom155

Coach
LSU wins the toss, Clemson gets the ball first

Crowd heavily in favour of LSU as was expected in New Orleans

Tom155

Coach
2nd play of the game LSU jumps offside, Lawrence uses the free play to hit Justyn Ross for a big gain