What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes I did the stats a month ago after 10 games and again after 14 rounds.
We were way behind in some categories but I was curious to see if there had been any improvement now that we had strung a few wins together.

Comparing the last 4 rounds against the previous 10 games would have to be done on an average. So the comparison could still be made against the other 15 teams.

While weakened we played 4 top 8 teams. Who have good defence. We play like we did v Roosters in the 3 easier games coming a lot of those stats will change. Improvement is all you can ask

Kilkenny

Coach
Interesting to see Maurice Trindall is named on the bench this week for Jersey Flegg.

Hopefully he makes the most of his ‘second chance’ if this is a second chance given the rumours he was out of favour due to off field matters.

betcats

Referee
Credit to Ivan for getting some spirit and fight back in team. Also think we are playing a bit more tactical now, last night we really move the ball from side to side and attacked the edges and got the warriors line moving around, previous weeks we have really went hard attacking in behind the ruck and had a lot of success. We did lose our way in the 2nd half yesterday mainly the 5th tackle options were poor but we are looking like a much better footy side then what started the year.

OldPanther

Coach
Credit to Ivan for getting some spirit and fight back in team. Also think we are playing a bit more tactical now, last night we really move the ball from side to side and attacked the edges and got the warriors line moving around, previous weeks we have really went hard attacking in behind the ruck and had a lot of success. We did lose our way in the 2nd half yesterday mainly the 5th tackle options were poor but we are looking like a much better footy side then what started the year.

When I saw how they were playing with ball movement I thought we'd win big. Looked quite smooth until we lost momentum with penalties and errors.

mxlegend99

Referee
Considering we looked like the worst team in the comp... its not hard to look better. Something needs to be done about our discipline... we did nearly as much damage to ourselves as the refs did.

But its great to see we look fit again. And we are back to believing in ourselves. We played like 17 minutes or so with less players. 3 or 4 mins with only 11 on the field. Yet we looked the more likely team in that second half even when we weren't scoring.

I cant see us beating the better sides with our current discipline. But we fix that up and we would definitely be able to make a cobtest of it against any side.

betcats

Referee
Considering we looked like the worst team in the comp... its not hard to look better. Something needs to be done about our discipline... we did nearly as much damage to ourselves as the refs did.

But its great to see we look fit again. And we are back to believing in ourselves. We played like 17 minutes or so with less players. 3 or 4 mins with only 11 on the field. Yet we looked the more likely team in that second half even when we weren't scoring.

I cant see us beating the better sides with our current discipline. But we fix that up and we would definitely be able to make a cobtest of it against any side.

Yep discipline and ball handling are still issues but at least there is some improvement. With Whare back the back line and the edge back rowers should be set for the year so hopefully they can continue building their combinations.

Kilkenny

Coach
There is a lot of talk around us being ill disciplined but I just don’t see us being much different to the other sides.

We are frequently on the receiving end for ruck infringement penalties when for the most part our opponents are equally guilty of the same sort of offences but go unpunished.

Twice yesterday we got pinged late in the tackle count for ‘strips’. I swear there was no way either on field official could have seen whether there was a strip or whether it was simply a loose carry but the ball came out and bingo penalty against us.

OldPanther

Coach
There is a lot of talk around us being ill disciplined but I just don’t see us being much different to the other sides.

We are frequently on the receiving end for ruck infringement penalties when for the most part our opponents are equally guilty of the same sort of offences but go unpunished.

Twice yesterday we got pinged late in the tackle count for ‘strips’. I swear there was no way either on field official could have seen whether there was a strip or whether it was simply a loose carry but the ball came out and bingo penalty against us.

Yes we got 2 strip calls against us but all of our dropped ball was counted as errors.

Kilkenny

Coach
What a great fit Michael Maguire has been for the West Tigers.

Too his credit Ivan Clearly had them performing above expectations as well last season before the father/son totally hijacked the whole debate.

In life, things happen for a reason, we may not recognise it at the time but in the long run for the most part things sorta turn out for the best.

You look at our prospects for this current season, full of optimism the one minute and before you know it Griffin gone, Ivan back, Gus gone, upheaval around the Tyrone May saga, awful start to 2019, fan favourites shown the door, season over and wouldn’t you just know it some Panther kids emerge from no where and we win five straight.

I don’ t know. season 2019 has for the most part been depressing, disappointing, underachieving and just when we throw in the towel a kid such as Brent Naden runs 90 metres against all odds and plants the ball down over the line.

It is moments such as these why we support the Panthers. For me anyway.

OldPanther

Coach
What a great fit Michael Maguire has been for the West Tigers.

Too his credit Ivan Clearly had them performing above expectations as well last season before the father/son totally hijacked the whole debate.

In life, things happen for a reason, we may not recognise it at the time but in the long run for the most part things sorta turn out for the best.

You look at our prospects for this current season, full of optimism the one minute and before you know it Griffin gone, Ivan back, Gus gone, upheaval around the Tyrone May saga, awful start to 2019, fan favourites shown the door, season over and wouldn’t you just know it some Panther kids emerge from no where and we win five straight.

I don’ t know. season 2019 has for the most part been depressing, disappointing, underachieving and just when we throw in the towel a kid such as Brent Naden runs 90 metres against all odds and plants the ball down over the line.

It is moments such as these why we support the Panthers. For me anyway.

That was beautiful.

tenor (12).gif

Kilkenny

Coach

Well I am an old man Old Panther. When I left the Canterbury Bankstown Berries (now Bulldogs) I was a die hard Berries fan.

Soon after setting in Penrith I went to a game featuring the Panthers at home and we got thumped by a star studded Sea Eagles side 70-7 or may have been 77-7 I can’t quite recall. In the days of the 3 point tries so I think they scored 14 converted tries.

My rugby league playing days were over and from that point forward I was just a fan.

I have supported this club thru thick and thin, mostly thin, but you know what I don’t regret one single minute. I love the club.

I wear my heart on my sleeve, my wife does, my oldest son does and my youngest (daughter) does as well. They share the passion we instilled in them as children dragging them all over Sydney and elsewhere to follow our team the Panthers.

I have another son who follows the Sharks, less said about him the better.

When I do move on my request will be for my ashes to be scattered across Penrith Stadium or whatever sponsors name may be attached to it at that time. That’s what this club means to me and I am not trying to be melodramatic.

forby

Juniors
You’re not the only one that would like that. My life revolves around my family and the Panthers. I have been to a Panthers game every year of their existence, and have probably seen nearly every first grade player. Now I travel a lot for work so this forum means a lot to me to feel part of what’s happening. I was in a train in China when they played on Sunday watching the game on my phone.
Moments like Sunday are what Penrith is all about.

forby

Juniors
By the way it was 70-7 and 14 tries. There was something like 6750 people there including me. Reg Walton as fullback and nearly scored from the kickoff. I think Graham Eadie kicked 14 goals.

Latest posts