What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

If we had a bunch of dynamic backs, who were quick & tall, then Mansour’s effort game would be a huge asset to the team. But we don’t, our backs are mostly short, and we don’t have outright pace. (Although To’o is decent)

Kilkenny

Coach
The reason they are not trash is that everyone who can be bothered participating gets an input, which kind of smoothes out prejudices.

Player ratings are a bit of fun and I always enjoy looking at everyone’s input even if I don’t personally always give my own ratings after each game. I tend to put forward my ratings if I have watched a game without having a few drinks whereas in the case of the game against the Raiders I had more than a few at the game and afterwards and hence I chose not to post my ratings because my judgement was somewhat clouded.

OldPanther

Coach
Player ratings are a bit of fun and I always enjoy looking at everyone’s input even if I don’t personally always give my own ratings after each game. I tend to put forward my ratings if I have watched a game without having a few drinks whereas in the case of the game against the Raiders I had more than a few at the game and afterwards and hence I chose not to post my ratings because my judgement was somewhat clouded.

I enjoy the fun aspect I don't like how it's used as a guide to support someone's point as it is very inaccurate. Except for Fish who deserves top spot.

Whino

Bench
The reason they are not trash is that everyone who can be bothered participating gets an input, which kind of smoothes out prejudices.

Apart from ch 9 games I listen to alot of our games via radio and I don't feel its fair on my part to judge most weeks.
I enjoy reading other people's scores.

Kilkenny

Coach
Player ratings from fans are very subjective but at the end of the day there is a clear winner for our player of year and daylight is going to come second. If we had 17 players who gave the same commitment as JFH well we would surely be a top four side.

Kilkenny

Coach
I enjoy the fun aspect I don't like how it's used as a guide to support someone's point as it is very inaccurate. Except for Fish who deserves top spot.

Mate, your 100% right. I believe our best dummy half is the much maligned Sione Katoa but his days at the Panthers are over in 7 weeks time. Not saying I am right, just my opinion.

Kilkenny

Coach
In so many respects I will be somewhat glad when this season is over.

It has been a season of so much turbulence from bringing Ivan Cleary back, getting rid of Gus Gould, the off field issues around Tyrone May, the release of high profile juniors and lack of performances on the field.

If there is one positive to take away from this season, and maybe not all will agree with me, but Ivan has made some pretty bold decisions in releasing certain players, with more to follow and reinventing our roster. I take my hat of too him in that regard even if it may have been forced upon him if some of the figures quoted for certain players are accurate.

However, the problem if not so much on who we have released it is going to be who we bring into replace them and that is where I am most concerned.

There is no doubt we have some highly talented kids coming thru but for the most part we always do and next year will be no different.

We still need to find and recruit some quality & experienced NRL players to add value to what we already have and that is the difficulty.

For mine I don’t see bringing back Peachy or Moylan as being a step forward in the right direction nor do I see bringing in a problem child such as Jesse Ramien a good move.

We have some cap space unlike the majority of our rivals so spend it wisely and just perhaps 2020 could be something to look forward too.

OldPanther

Coach
Player ratings from fans are very subjective but at the end of the day there is a clear winner for our player of year and daylight is going to come second. If we had 17 players who gave the same commitment as JFH well we would surely be a top four side.

Couldn't have said it better.

Mate, your 100% right. I believe our best dummy half is the much maligned Sione Katoa but his days at the Panthers are over in 7 weeks time. Not saying I am right, just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with that. He looked like he would own the position for a long time when he was transitioning into it around the time Wallace stopped.

Kilkenny

Coach
Couldn't have said it better.

Nothing wrong with that. He looked like he would own the position for a long time when he was transitioning into it around the time Wallace stopped.

History will record Sione Katoa will be pigeon holed in the same basket as Paul Aiton and Masada Iosefa. Very talented, sorta caught in between NSW Cup and NRL Standard.

You know what , I blame the lack of coaching as to why Sione Katoa didn’t reach his full potential I really do. Any footy instincts, footy smarts, running from dummy half was largely coached out of him by as it turns out Anthony Griffin and now Ivan Clearly. The whole game plan of five hit ups and get to the kick took away what Sione Katoa could deliver to the side. The same concept largely applies to the two favoured dummy halves in Egan and Kenny who are largely robotic in the concept of this game plan we employ.

We need three forwards of the bench and a utility who can be called upon to play a handful of minutes at dummy half if required. Until we recognise this fact we are doomed to fail.

mxlegend99

Referee
History will record Sione Katoa will be pigeon holed in the same basket as Paul Aiton and Masada Iosefa. Very talented, sorta caught in between NSW Cup and NRL Standard.

You know what , I blame the lack of coaching as to why Sione Katoa didn’t reach his full potential I really do. Any footy instincts, footy smarts, running from dummy half was largely coached out of him by as it turns out Anthony Griffin and now Ivan Clearly. The whole game plan of five hit ups and get to the kick took away what Sione Katoa could deliver to the side. The same concept largely applies to the two favoured dummy halves in Egan and Kenny who are largely robotic in the concept of this game plan we employ.

We need three forwards of the bench and a utility who can be called upon to play a handful of minutes at dummy half if required. Until we recognise this fact we are doomed to fail.
Paul Aiton was a very good player IMO. Definitely a notch above Iosefa.

Sione Katoa looked set to be Masada Iosefa 2.0 for a while now. It's a shame when juniors never deliver on their potential. Hopefully he gets a crack elsewhere and a new coach can resurrect his career. Some guys don't develop until much later in their careers.

Kilkenny

Coach
Paul Aiton was a very good player IMO. Definitely a notch above Iosefa.

Sione Katoa looked set to be Masada Iosefa 2.0 for a while now. It's a shame when juniors never deliver on their potential. Hopefully he gets a crack elsewhere and a new coach can resurrect his career. Some guys don't develop until much later in their careers.

You’ll get no arguments from me, Paul Aiton was a quality NRL player his record speaks for itself.

Personally, I think a lack of game plans and coaching has damaged Sione Katoa. Not for one minute suggesting he was ever going to be superstar in the role but I feel sorry for the bloke he has been a victim of some very poor coaching and some very poor game games.

Abacus

Juniors

My knock on Katoa was his defense. No surprise that our defense improved once he was out and Kenny in.

luv my panfas

Juniors
These dickheads bring on all criticism themselves There after anything to make a headline Like him or not Ivan Cleary like most coaches have had a gutfull of scabby journalists like Kent Hes the one should resign No coach trusts him thats what he hates but he bought it on himself Last year it was Gould Demanding he resign after poaching cleary DRIBBLER

Blues Riff

Bench
That little bald merkin with the mike started this bullshit. His little innuendos quickly became a talking point among the commentators in the second half. By full time, Vonny had the bit of paper on her desk. The "incident" had become an established FOX fact.
The fact that no-one else, including the refs, knew anything about it, didn't seem to matter.
Don't even start me on that sanctimonious twat Kent.

age.s

First Grade
That little bald merkin with the mike started this bullshit. His little innuendos quickly became a talking point among the commentators in the second half. By full time, Vonny had the bit of paper on her desk. The "incident" had become an established FOX fact.
The fact that no-one else, including the refs, knew anything about it, didn't seem to matter.
Don't even start me on that sanctimonious twat Kent.

Just a small example of a lie being repeated to the point of becoming true. It happens in all areas of media. Always remember that when you're reading the news, especially from the big sites.

Good on Ivan for fighting back against it.

Pomoz

Bench
We have all been there. A second viewing usually reveals that beer goggles are no myth.

TheFrog

Coach
I know its been said before but the problems this season have I believe stemmed from the signing of certain players on long term deals on big money. Players who haven't delivered value. This has led to having to shed quality mid-range players who we could really ill afford to lose.

Latest posts