What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

1 to consider if we don't sort out another good prop would be moving Kikau not a preferred option but he'd kill it anywhere

Whino

Bench
Not sure about pinning too much hope on Grant. According to a Tigers mate of mine he's been lucky to hold on to his spot in reserves. Gone backwards big time. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good but I don't know that we should bill him as a solution to holes in the prop position.

Tbh I think he has being going backwards since his Origin debut in 2012. His stint at Souths was a disaster.
I see him now a first change bench prop at best.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Panthers fans are weird - we go crazy over fast and/or skillful juniors in non-essential positions who are prone to brain explosions and who never really have the consistency to be relied on when game management is needed (Blake, RCG, Kikau, Cartwright, DWZ, JFH) but get all picky and critical over anyone in the spine (Moylan, Egan, Cleary to an extent, Katoa, Cartwright when he moved there, even Edwards is deemed not good enough by some here). It all adds up to a team of individuals who of course can win a game out of nowhere sometimes, but who have no clue how to approach a tight game. Mostly we either race to a lead, or come back from well behind - we have no clue what to do when we are evenly matched and need to play percentages.

OldPanther

Coach
Panthers fans are weird - we go crazy over fast and/or skillful juniors in non-essential positions who are prone to brain explosions and who never really have the consistency to be relied on when game management is needed (Blake, RCG, Kikau, Cartwright, DWZ, JFH) but get all picky and critical over anyone in the spine (Moylan, Egan, Cleary to an extent, Katoa, Cartwright when he moved there, even Edwards is deemed not good enough by some here). It all adds up to a team of individuals who of course can win a game out of nowhere sometimes, but who have no clue how to approach a tight game. Mostly we either race to a lead, or come back from well behind - we have no clue what to do when we are evenly matched and need to play percentages.

Recency bias as far as Edwards is concerned. He was an elite fullback and people have forgotten since he's been injured.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
1. Edwards
2. DWZ
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. Mansour (but on reputation rather than recent form)
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. ???
9. Egan
10. ???
11. Kikau
12. Yeo
13. ???

14. Tamou
15. RCG
16. ???
17. ???

I think we still have serious weaknesses in the squad. I'm still not sold on JFH or Leota long-term, May is overrated, Merrin is probably leaving. Our forward pack is a mess.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Recency bias as far as Edwards is concerned. He was an elite fullback and people have forgotten since he's been injured.

I mean, I think DWZ has been fine a fullback, and if we didn't have Edwards, the position would be his (shit work in the Lewis try last night notwithstanding). But 1. Edwards/2. DWZ is better than 1. DWZ/2. Whatever other winger we have next season

TheFrog

Coach
Yeo (C) is more important than anything
I don't particularly agree it is more important than anything, but I wouldn't complain if he did get the job. It is a poisoned chalice. I suspect Jimmy will be captain. Presumably we need to appoint a coach who will appoint a captain.

OldPanther

Coach
I mean, I think DWZ has been fine a fullback, and if we didn't have Edwards, the position would be his (shit work in the Lewis try last night notwithstanding). But 1. Edwards/2. DWZ is better than 1. DWZ/2. Whatever other winger we have next season

I agree. DWZ can still contribute from wing on kick returns if needed and is a much better choice than Phillips or whoever is the next option.

1. Edwards
2. DWZ
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. Mansour (but on reputation rather than recent form)
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. ???
9. Egan
10. ???
11. Kikau
12. Yeo
13. ???

14. Tamou
15. RCG
16. ???
17. ???

I think we still have serious weaknesses in the squad. I'm still not sold on JFH or Leota long-term, May is overrated, Merrin is probably leaving. Our forward pack is a mess.

Unfortunately Hetherington seems to be the next forward option which is stupidity.

The more I think about it, Hooker is absolutely the priority. Along with sorting out the props.

The forward pack can come good with a few tweaks, wouldn’t give up on anyone other than perhaps Merrin.

But Hooker needs to be sorted. I’d even give serious consideration to moving Maloney on if we could land a high quality 9. But given that’s unlikely I’ll settle for a solid journeyman like Rein until one of Katoa or Egan comes good.

Latest posts