What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
OK, so obviously we are not going to get in 5 players, so here is who I would run with for the first-grade side if there is no further player movement, but with the players I would like to see improved on in bold:

1. Edwards
2. DWZ
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Merrin
9. Egan

10. RCG
11. Kikau
12. Yeo
13. JFH

14. Tamou
15. Leota
16. May
17. PickaplayeranyplayerexceptHetheringtonwhoisamongandGrantwhoispastit

OldPanther

Coach
The more I think about it, Hooker is absolutely the priority. Along with sorting out the props.

The forward pack can come good with a few tweaks, wouldn’t give up on anyone other than perhaps Merrin.

But Hooker needs to be sorted. I’d even give serious consideration to moving Maloney on if we could land a high quality 9. But given that’s unlikely I’ll settle for a solid journeyman like Rein until one of Katoa or Egan comes good.

We certainly can't keep Egan, May and Katoa all as hooker options.

I'd sell Katoa to a desperate club, play Egan as starting Hooker with May as Utility as we could need multiple positions filled with HIA etc.

OldPanther

Coach
OK, so obviously we are not going to get in 5 players, so here is who I would run with for the first-grade side if there is no further player movement, but with the players I would like to see improved on in bold:

1. Edwards
2. DWZ
3. Blake
4. Whare
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Merrin
9. Egan

10. RCG
11. Kikau
12. Yeo
13. JFH

14. Tamou
15. Leota
16. May
17. PickaplayeranyplayerexceptHetheringtonwhoisamongandGrantwhoispastit

Improve on Fish? He's pretty much our best forward.

We certainly can't keep Egan, May and Katoa all as hooker options.

I'd sell Katoa to a desperate club, play Egan as starting Hooker with May as Utility as we could need multiple positions filled with HIA etc.

May isn’t a Hooker. Just a fill in.

But we need someone experienced for mine, Egan & Katoa aren’t ready yet.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Improve on Fish? He's pretty much our best forward.

Yeah, I've never been much of a fan. Prone to brain farts and doesn't do enough with the ball. Good competitor of course, and if we had a pack of superstars around him, it wouldn't matter much.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Who do we get and would the club actually look externally to fix the problem?

There is a reason why clubs don't attempt to field sides made up purely of local juniors; at any given point in time, it is unlikely that you will have finals worthy players in all 17 positions. Gould likes his sound bites, but I hope he wasn't serious in saying that he wants all Panthers in first grade to be juniors

Let’s say we did move Merrin & Maloney on, that’s a significant chunk of change.

Who can we bring in, who do we need to bring in?

franklin2323

Immortal
He was the reason we were in that. As soon as he came on first set a try and he drove the entire set downfield. To say he's no better than Katoa is inaccurate.

Didn't he give it too Hetherington on last when attacking their line needing a try to win?

franklin2323

Immortal
Let’s say we did move Merrin & Maloney on, that’s a significant chunk of change.

Who can we bring in, who do we need to bring in?

If the pack goes well Luai and Cleary will be fine. Hooker and prop or 2 for me. Luke and Koroisau. As for the prop there will be discards around the traps even just for depth

martielang

Bench
Not sure the sky is falling that much.

Should/could of won last night, putting us one game from GF & we were in the top 4 for the majority of the year. Few minor tweaks wouldn’t go astray but I don’t think we’re in dire straights by any means.

There’s gonna be a lot of natural improvement due to age/experience. That includes Katoa & Egan. Both are very very early in their careers.

Last edited:
Not sure the sky is falling that much.

Should/could of won last night, putting us one game from GF & we were in the top 4 for the majority of the year. Few minor tweaks wouldn’t go astray but I don’t think we’re in dire straights by any means.

There’s gonna be a lot of natural improvement due to age/experience. That includes Katoa & Egan. Both are very very early in their careers.
Weakest comp I can remember

Latest posts