What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Draw

unKwn

Juniors
just getting the thread started early.

hopefully we get more daytime games and not shitty Friday night games every other week.

also can we play Brisbane and Melbourne at home now?

We've been quite lucky recently, only getting the Broncos, Storm etc. once a year even if away from home but I do agree. 2016 was the last time we played Brisbane at home (23-22) I think and 2015 against Melbourne at home (0-20).

Also would love to see two games against Eels, Tigers and Bulldogs again.

If "things" fall into place as rumoured, you would imagine that there would be an internal push for Panthers v Wests Tigers for Round 1

GongPanther

Referee
Isn't parra v drags the scheduled match for round one?
The draw hasn't been released yet. Parra played the Dragons to open the older stadium,so you might be onto something. Parra could never live it down if the Panthers gave them a hiding on opening day. I guess that will have to come later.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
We have been quite fortunate with our Draws the past few years. We are definitely due for a tough one.

The NRL should definitely schedule us against the Tigers in Round 1.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The draw hasn't been released yet. Parra played the Dragons to open the older stadium,so you might be onto something. Parra could never live it down if the Panthers gave them a hiding on opening day. I guess that will have to come later.

The new stadium won't be ready for Round 1.

There's no such thing as easy draws or tough draws.

If that was the case we'd never win finals games.

Agree - Cowboys and Eels were supposed to be tough games (and we had both last year) but they finished in the bottom four, which made our draw softer at the end. Our draw may appear tough but by the end of the season, be easier than we though and vice versa.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
There's no such thing as easy draws or tough draws.

If that was the case we'd never win finals games.

Why is it that no team has won the comp from 5-8 is recent memory?
That's right, because beating 4 top 8 sides in a row is f**king hard. Of course there are such things as hard and easy draws, it's stupid to think otherwise.

The problem is, it only becomes apparent that a draw is easy or hard after the fact, once we know how the sides are travelling for that particular season, so there is nothing much that can be done about it, and it is pointless to complain about it.

Fangs

Coach

I'll find a link, I read it earlier this year. At least that was the plan for the first game at the new stadium.

It won't be round one however, as Daz pointed out.

Fangs

Coach
I'll find a link, I read it earlier this year. At least that was the plan for the first game at the new stadium.

It won't be round one however, as Daz pointed out.

Perhaps I am mistaken:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/24...pen-new-stadium-in-easter-monday-blockbuster/

The new Western Sydney Stadium is unlikely to be open for the first month of the 2019 NRL season as discussions begin about a potential Easter Monday launch between the Parramatta Eels and the Wests Tigers.

Easter Monday falls on April 22 in 2019, with discussions already underway about opening the venue with two western Sydney giants on a public holiday.

The Eels' original plan to play the first match against the St George Illawarra Dragons, like they did more than three decades ago when Parramatta Stadium was built, isn't dead in the water.

However, the club is working on an alternative option should the opening of the stadium fall around the same time as the traditional Eels-Tigers Easter Monday clash.

Tigers keen for it.

I hope we railroad them again and get the first game at the new stadium.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Why is it that no team has won the comp from 5-8 is recent memory?
That's right, because beating 4 top 8 sides in a row is f**king hard. Of course there are such things as hard and easy draws, it's stupid to think otherwise.

The problem is, it only becomes apparent that a draw is easy or hard after the fact, once we know how the sides are travelling for that particular season, so there is nothing much that can be done about it, and it is pointless to complain about it.
Teams find it difficult to win four finals matches in a row because who ever they're facing in the grand final has had a break between the first week and the Prelim. Why do you think teams like Bulldogs in 2014 and Cowboys in 2017 capitulated at the end and started to get smashed?

If we had easy draws, teams who we have finished equal with or even below like we did with Manly in 2017 would have beaten us because they got the same finish if not better even with their tougher draw. But we've won the first week every time and got eliminated in the second week. This season by one point. The ladder's always been tight but just like every year we finished in the finals right about where the ladder said we would.

The draw means nothing besides which home games we get which will cause the crowd attendance to vary, which days we will play on, how far we'll have to travel and how Origin will affect us which we had to deal with on the Friday afterwards twice which combined with burnout bald spot Anthony Griffin's incompetence fu cked over Maloney and our best forward.

Draw toughness doesn't exist, otherwise it would have had us exposed in the finals at least once in any of the occasions we've been there.